Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2006, 02:44 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to dj_smurf Send a message via Yahoo to dj_smurf
Default Semester at Sea Storm

Did anyone else happen to watch this episode of storm stories? It was actually a rather interesting story. The story was about a large group of students taking a 3 month cruise in early 2005 abord the m/v Explorer to travel around the world and experience different cultures.

The interesting part came into play when the ship sailed head on into 3 very strong storm systems somewhere south of alaska(you think radar could have prevented all of this). As the ship contuined on the weather became worse eventually a wave est. at 50"+ hit the ship head on breaking windows on the bridge, shorting out electrical equipment and caused both engines to fail.

The students on the ship by this time had been insturcted to put on their life vest and gather on the deck where if necessary the life boats could be boarded. I believe this whole thing lasted somewhere in the relm of 12 hours the boat eventually regained propulsion and made it to safety.

The ships interior was completly destoryed. Luckly only 2 people were injured, and the ship managed to dock in hawaii for repairs and eventually finish the trip.

I thought the story itself was interesting, but then again wonder how the ship managed to sail into that much weather? You can check out the updates that took place on the semester at sea sight http://www.semesteratsea.com/voyages...ionreport.html (starts at bottom of page).

Caught the show and wondered if anyone else had heard about this, or had watched the show.
Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2006, 02:48 PM
Admiral

No, I didnt know about this............and I wont research it, given we are leaving in a week!! Maybe after we get back I will!!
Old February 22nd, 2006, 05:24 PM
Passenger

http://kdka.com/local/local_story_033145841.html#

The above link takes you to a local news station, if you look at the top right hand side, theres a link that shows some of the video taken on the ship during the storm.

I can post some pictures i have found if anyone is intrested.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 01:49 PM
Passenger

Some pic.