Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 26th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Default McAfee vs. Norton

My home PC just went in to the geek-fix-it store again to have a virus removed. I have had Norton's AntiVirus on there for two years and have now been infected 3 times, while my laptop, which has McAfee, has never been infected. The technician at the geek-fix-it store told me if we had McAfee on it we would not have gotten this virus. It's actually 5 viruse bundled together and once it's on your machine the antivirus programs can't detect it.

In my former job, the IT people wouldn't use anything but McAfee.

So my recommendation is to not waste your money on Norton.

Regards,
Thomas
Old February 26th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Yeoman

Hi Thomas:
I can not comment on Norton as I have never run it.
I do use McAfee and the anti virus has worked flawlessly.

Regards,
Ben
Old February 26th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

For commercial, in-home use McAffee rates higher than Norton in almost all areas. I personally have not used Norton since 2000 when their corporate product allowed our network to become completely disabled by a very simple attack.

McAffee also updates on a more regular basis.

I do suggest not running McAffee'sr Personal Firewall product. I would run Zone Alarm instead. Their Spam Killer is worthless if you have Outlook 2003. It also does not allow you to bounce spam back to the sender.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 26th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Mike.. what do you like/use for anti spam? I get a ton, and its seperated, but I hate going in and having to delete it.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 26th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I have never used McAfee. I had Norton but it used to freeze my PC all the time. I got a free one on the internet. It updates automatically and I have never had a virus since installing it. I will not post the website but if anyone wants it email or PM me. It is free but I do not want to violate the TOS on this site.

Laura
Old February 26th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to gsujillybean

I use AVG-- it seems to work well, and it was free!

Carnival Celebration--7/29/06
Old February 26th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Admiral

AVG let some pretty major stuff thru on my computer.

OUr local cable company has a deal that if you are a customer, you get McAfee for free. I've been very happy so far.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old February 26th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Admiral

I also was displeased with Norton. Macfee was pretty good. My son built a computer and runs AVG for free and it has been fine. I personally now use anti spam and firewall, anti virus all from my internet provder, cheaper than buying software, it updates several times a day, and it is the one I have had the least amount of trouble with, it also protects up to three computers in the home without having to buy another activation key or making you buy a more expensive one. ( for one computer, it is less than the one for three) . In Canada, where I live both Videotron and Sympatico offer very good services at very reasonable rates.

Kuki, I dont know what internet company you are with, but if it is with bell, you can turn on a feature with them to filter out your mail before it ever gets to you. It is still recomended though to go onto the server to check if some of the junk email is in fact, not junk!!
Old February 27th, 2006, 04:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

At one time I had the AVG but it would not pick out all the virus when I did a scan. I got rid of it and got Avast. I have had this a loong time now and it seems to work well. It updates very frequently and so faf so good!

Laura
Old February 27th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Administrator
Admiral

There is NOTHING that will filter out all SPAM. There are a number of things that are provided by many ISPs that do filter out a number of things such as; email addresses that are not associated with an actual domain, some keyword filtering, known SPAM sites.

I use a product called Broadvision that is actually a firewall product that filters a number of things but I also use my own filters to weed out SPAM.

Kuki: We are in a "special" situation because of our email so we must rely on our own filtering to get rid of junk mail. I use Outlook 2003, SPAM ASSASSIN and Broadvision to weed out the 300 + junk emails I get per day. About 3 or four make it to my in-box. The problem is that I do have to check my suspect file before deleting to make sure something real isn't in there.

SPAM ASSASSIN is a very good product but is complex to install and run than the average tool. I don't recommend anyone running it unless you are familiar with using Windows and updating and editing the registry or VERY good at following directions.

Oft times people will send me a picture and not a put subject in email that will send it to the suspect file, or there will HTML pictures in the email that track usage. This also puts emails into the suspect file.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old February 27th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Admiral

My computer is getting old-about 4/5 years and it came with Norton AntiVirus. It was fine. But last summer when I needed to pay again, I got the more complete/uptodate Norton Internet Security pkg. It is a pain in the you-know-where. It seems to slow down my computer-taking forever to load when I turn it on in the morning,etc.
Brenda
EDIT: I know what makes me so mad-when I am in my emails and I want to go to a link-I often get a Javascript type message down at the bottom and it does not let me. My old Norton did. Then if I am really interested I have to log onto their website and then find the info/links.
Old February 27th, 2006, 02:16 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Eaky77

I find that Norton does nothing but slowwwwww my puter down wayyyyyy too much!

Erin
09-24-06 Destiny
10-02-05 Valor My favorite yet!
10-23-04 Triumph (Honeymoon of my dreams)
12-24-94 Holiday
Old February 27th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Administrator
Admiral

One thing to note is that most computers that are five or six years old:

Pentium II 300 MHz or so will probably be slow when running most of today's antivirus and anti-spyware software, especially if they are running in active mode. (there is a task running at all times.) Also most websites are not friendly to older computers. Throw something like AOL on top of it and you will really be slow.

If you are running one of those systems and/or you are still running Windows 95 and even Windows 98 you may want to seriously think about upgrading.

One of my systems is an old IBM ThinkPad, 300 Mhz Pentium II, that runs Windows 98 and while it works fine for basic browsing I have to do some real minimizing of the tasks that are running to receive fair performance with it while using it online.

Take care,
Mike

Old February 28th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Admiral

I consider myself a Dr. Seuss computer literate--which is enough to be the go-to guy in my home when most problems arise. I never liked Norton, because it seemed to require too much interaction to use it effectively. McAfee, in my experience, does what it does in the background and only bothers me when it has to. It updates itself, gives me a notice when it does, and let's me go on doing what I'm doing without disruptive dialog. That's a huge plus for me.

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03
Inspiration 3/04
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Summit 03/06 to Hawaii, Where God left his fingerprints, in memory of Margaret.
Sensation 03/07
Carnival Freedom (March 08)
\X\Mercury (January 09)
Old March 1st, 2006, 05:19 PM
Admiral

I got my computer back yesterday and the tech said there were over 100 suspected virus files on it. Thanks for nothing Norton! I suspect a lot of them were adware stuff, but still ! ! !

Now I can't connect to the internet. Called up Comcast and customer-no-service said the signal is very weak and not complete so they are sending out a technician tomorrow.

I think I might have damaged a cable when I yanked that sucker out the other day........ <shrugging shoulder>

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 15th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Admiral

Does anyone have Spybot ? A computer tech that I used installed it on my computer 3 years ago.He also suggested that I buy Norton which I have had .However,my feeling is that Norton may not be "on the up and up " ,that they may cause the virus .
Old October 16th, 2010, 04:46 AM
Admiral

McAfee has worked very well for me.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old October 16th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default virus

I am using AVAST. Seems to be working fine. And its free.

I Sail The Carnival Dream.

The Royal Princess Transatlantic.

I sail The Crown Princess to The Southern Caribbean.
Old October 16th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Admiral

We get our antivirus with BT included with out (expensive) package, it used t be Norton now it is McAffee, I have no trouble at all on the laptop but on the PC upstairs we have had an infiltration by "Windows Security suite" which is nothing to do with "Windows" but a scam that jams up your PC, we also had a very worrying thing that asked us for full details everytime we logged on to any sort of banking, luckily I sussed it & downloaded free Malwarebytes which killed it. BT were not interested...polite, but not interested, didn't really believe me.
Old October 16th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Admiral

We had McAfee on our first computer 11 years ago and it was not good .We had Trend-Micro when we bought this computer and it was terrible .

Is anyone familiar with LYNEX (SP) ,I was told that if you have that you do not use Microsoft and Microsoft messes up the computer
Old October 16th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Admiral

I've used Mcaffee , Norton , AVG and Avast. They over time have become so big that they slowed my computer(x5) that they took forever to do anything.Small home network.
My son who is an IT manger suggested that I use "Microsoft Security Essentials " ( not for MAC or Linux) . The speed increase was awesome.
Just a note neither my DS or myself work for Microsoft.
If you used AVG or Avast make to also install SpyBot as well .

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old October 16th, 2010, 06:46 PM
First Mate

Default Everybody has a different Issue

Have used them all at one time.
What I realized over time it depends on your computer setup, your ISP provider software, your firewall.
Norton I think has always had a processor load issue and space even though they started a good product.
Spybot was good as a safety check.
Zonealarm was good until it conflicted with my ISP's firewall.
McAfee just pooped on my computer.

My mix today is Windows 7, Windows Firewall, Windows Defender and AVG on a 64 bit quad computer.
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old October 16th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by robh View Post
Have used them all at one time.
What I realized over time it depends on your computer setup, your ISP provider software, your firewall.
Norton I think has always had a processor load issue and space even though they started a good product.
Spybot was good as a safety check.
Zonealarm was good until it conflicted with my ISP's firewall.
McAfee just pooped on my computer.

My mix today is Windows 7, Windows Firewall, Windows Defender and AVG on a 64 bit quad computer.
I have a similar machine with heaps of power and use Norton.

I have had no problem with any viruses ever on my machines as I constantly update all my software and scan every other day.

I've used AVG in the past with no problems. (even paid for it)

McAfee was problematic in the past and since they had that huge screw up on their part earlier this year I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

I also don't visit dodgy sites (Norton will tell you if it is).
I don't download software I don't trust.
I don't use file sharing software. Limewire is a huge source of virus's for those that use it.

In the end its all about personal choice and the actions you do and do not take while on the internet.

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old October 16th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Its so very frustrating .I have friends ,several ,in fact who do not own a computer and never have ,amazing but true .
Old October 16th, 2010, 10:50 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
I have a similar machine with heaps of power and use Norton.

I have had no problem with any viruses ever on my machines as I constantly update all my software and scan every other day.

I've used AVG in the past with no problems. (even paid for it)

McAfee was problematic in the past and since they had that huge screw up on their part earlier this year I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

I also don't visit dodgy sites (Norton will tell you if it is).
I don't download software I don't trust.
I don't use file sharing software. Limewire is a huge source of virus's for those that use it.

In the end its all about personal choice and the actions you do and do not take while on the internet.
You seem to do all the things I do and AVG which I pay for, now checks out untrustable web sites. Norton I stayed away only from all the utilties I do not use . Forgot to add I also use a software called IOLO System Mechanic which checks out the registry and conflicts for me.

Noticed you are about to go on your first cruise on Celebrity soon. Have a great cruise...:o
Old October 16th, 2010, 10:53 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Its so very frustrating .I have friends ,several ,in fact who do not own a computer and never have ,amazing but true .
Guess in todays world they use their TA to input their passport info and print out all the cruise documents
As a friend of mine said to the bank teller who asked why he did not use the ATM, well do you want a job or not.
Old October 16th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Admiral

Default Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by robh View Post
Guess in todays world they use their TA to input their passport info and print out all the cruise documents
As a friend of mine said to the bank teller who asked why he did not use the ATM, well do you want a job or not.
No computers and no passports