Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:15 AM
Yeoman

Default Our Military

A couple of weeks ago I was traveling on business. I had a two hour layover in Atlanta prior to coming home.
While waiting in Atlanta I saw maybe 25 or 30 of our armed forces sitting around in their desert fatigue uniforms.
I struck up a conversation with a few and found that they were all returning from Iraq. What an impressive looking, acting, and talking group of people they were. They were all optimistic about their work and the positive effects they felt they were achieving in the middle east.
I know some of you have children in the military and I just wanted to add my compliments and thank you's to each of your families.
However something haunted me after seeing these soldiers. They were all CHILDREN !! For someone raised on John Wayne movies and grizzled men with cigars hanging out of their mouths fighting WWII, I was just dumbfound and startled.
This post is not meant to be a debate or commentary on the war or the US mideast policy. It is merely a statement about our youth. I know these soldiers are young adults, but to somebody my age they are still children.
I can still see their faces in my mind and somehow it is troubling.
God bless them all and may they all return home safely.

Regards,
Ben
Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:26 AM
Admiral

You are exactly correct Ben. I, (a Vietnam vet) work at MacDill A.F.B.,and can't help but do a double take at a lot of our troops. They all seem so young,,,,even the officers! (I guess that really makes me old, doesn't it?) Back to reality though,,,I was 18 and 19 years old when in Vietnam, so I guess there really isn't that much differance,,,,just that as an old guy, I notice it lots more. God bless our folks in the military today. As usual, they are doing a wonderful job, and we owe them a lot.
See you aboard,
Ken
Old March 1st, 2006, 12:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Indeed we rely on our young people now to volunteer to make the armed forces their career.

What always amazes me when we meet any of these young men and women volunteers is how mature they become/are after a short time in the forces.
Astonishing to see so many others their age "at home" searching to find themselves and their lives.

Thankfully those who do volunteer dedicate themselves to serving our countries.. and god bless them for doing so!
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 1st, 2006, 12:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

They have my eternal thanks and gratitude.

I just can't understand why many of them can't buy a beer.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 1st, 2006, 12:58 PM
Admiral

I lived around the military until I was 23 years old. They always look so young yet asked to do so much. I'm with Mike.. You should be able to buy a darn beer if your duty is to go to war.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old March 1st, 2006, 01:14 PM
Admiral

am I glad you guys said it first, these kids, in my eyes are just babies, I cannot even imagine my son going to war at such a young age, and if he wasin the states he would not be able to grab a beer. My kid is not a drinker, dont get me wrong, it would just seem wierd he is old enough to go to war but not old enough to buy a lotto ticket or a beer...........and any one with a child in the military, my thanks to you and your sons and daughters. I may not agree with American politics right now, but no one can say these kids are not hero's.
Old March 1st, 2006, 01:36 PM
Admiral

We are honoring a group this Saturday. There is a parade for Charlie Company's Homecoming. The Military Moms have a float we will be riding on. Dana (the Navy daughter) will be riding with us, as well as our founder's son who has returned from Iraq.
Old March 1st, 2006, 01:44 PM
Admiral

Living close to Camp Pendleton and having 3 USMC sons, (2 recruiters) I agree...they look like babies and can't buy a drink. But when you talk to them , most sound like men, know what they want and what they are doing. I love to hear them say "yes ma'am" and "no ma'am"...uhh the other marines, not my sons...lol...it's just yessss mom as usual. I'll pass on everyones appreciation...they can never hear it enough. Thanks.

Proud USMC mom!

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old March 1st, 2006, 03:01 PM
Admiral

Default Our Military

Worth being proud of, aren't they?

Judy
Old March 1st, 2006, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Absolutely... My brother-in-law is getting ready to retire with twenty years and he saids everyone calls him "The old Man". hahaha He's 39. My nephew-in-law is 19 and is in Korea at the moment.

Blessings to all those who service.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old March 1st, 2006, 07:45 PM
Admiral

It's funny that you mention the beer. The first time I reenlisted, after three years in the Marines, the reenlistment officer gave me the oath, then commented that he guessed I'd be going over to the club to have a drink to celebrate. I said, I'd love to, but was only 20 years old, and couldn't drink yet. (Already served three years in the Corps, and been in combat in Vietnam).
Ken
Old March 1st, 2006, 11:16 PM
Admiral

Ben, I wonder if you met James in Atlanta. He returned from Iraq only a few weeks back, and I know he was returning to Georgia. James and his lovely wife Kris were a lovely couple we met on our Paradise cruise a few years back. He was home from Iraq at the time, but being shipped out again.
Kris and I met online, right here on CruiseMates, before the cruise, and it was she who spotted me in the line-up at boarding time!
I was so glad to hear that James had come home safe and sound after a year and a half in Iraq. We hope to be able to cruise with them again sometime!

(JKMAH, if you're still lurking on the boards, please let us know how it's going with James home at last!)

donna
Old March 2nd, 2006, 05:37 PM
Yeoman

Default Our military

I was just reading the obits for the week of military killed in Iraq; six were 21 and one was 28. When will this all end? God Bless them and all our military. My nightly prayers always include "please bring our soldiers home soon and keep them safe".

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07