Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2006, 05:29 AM
Admiral

Default Queen Mary ship anyone been her? Not the Queen Mary 2

I want to go to Long Beach and take a cruise if I do, I want to visit the Queen Mary the one that is now a hotel and is supposed to be haunted. They offer ghost tours and you can stay on her like a hotel even though she is permanetly docked. Has anyone else gone on the Queen Mary? Done the ghost tour? Ate dinner or lunch? Any info would be apresheated also is the Queen Mary a sister ship of Titantic ? Why did they decide to retire her from cruising? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2006, 06:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

We took a tour of the Queen Mary back in the early 90's and enjoyed it.My parents spent the night (back in the late 80's probably) and raved about it.
Sorry I don't have any more current info. We also saw the Spruce Goose when we were there but I think it's been moved since then.
Angela Z.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 02:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Paul Motter was recently on the QM1 and took photos. PM him and ask.
Here is the link to the photos.
http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=2723

Old May 27th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Admiral

We toured the QM with the kids many years ago. The Spruce Goose has indeed been moved.

The only sisterhood that the QM could claim with Titanic would be that they were both ships. QM was Cunard and Titanic was White Star. Titanic's sister was Olympic, if memory serves.

My friend George, now 94, was a Naval aide to FDR, and was asked to go to Europe before D-Day to write a firsthand history. He sailed on the QM, which of course had been refitted as a troop ship. As a Navy officer, he had to have a duty assignment while onboard, and he was posted on the bridge as a submarine lookout.

Many years later George was visiting Long Beach and went back with his family to see the old girl. Once onboard he made a beeline to his old duty station on the bridge. While there he got chatting with a man of roughly his age. The other guy asked George if he'd ever sailed on her, and George rattled off the exact date. The other guy, of course, had been on the same crossing. They looked each other in the eye, shook hands, and parted.

The stories you hear. . .
Old May 27th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Default Queen Mary Ship Anyone been on Her? Not the Queen Mary 2

My DH and I stayed on the Queen Mary some years back. So did Laura (Oceangoinggal) on the Cruise Talk Cafe. You could pm her, too. We both agreed then that the Queen was not being well cared for hotel-wise.

Do tour the ship, but I would not recommend you stay on her. There are many places to stay in the area. The food was first rate, especially the Sir Winston restaurant. There were no fast food places, but that could have changed.

There have been plans to buy the Queen, but I don't know if any of them came to fruition. You might try to Goggle it. I don't know who owns it now. BTW, I thought she was expensive, but that's just my opinion.

Judy
Old June 5th, 2012, 04:39 AM
Familiar Face

<showing my age here>

I sailed on the original QM when I was a whippersnapper.....sadly I don't remember much as too young. I also watched her leave Southampton for the last time too, from my late uncle's ship anchored in the Solent.

It was from days when ships looked like ships...and not multi-storey blocks of flats that float....:o

Costa Pacifica - Dec 2012
Costa Favolosa - June 2013
Costa Deliziosa - Dec 2013

Past :

1965 - Cunard Queen Mary, 1967 - Cunard Queen Elizabeth, 1970 - Cunard Queen Elizabeth 2, 1971 - P&O Oriana, 1972 - SS France, 1975 - SS Leopard, 1977 - P&O Canberra, 2005 - NCL Jewel, 2005/6 - NCL Crown, 2006 - FOCL Braemar, 2007 - FOCL Braemar, 2007 - FOCL Braemar, 2007 - NCL Gem, 2008 - Costa Allegra, 2010 - Costa Allegra 34 Day B2B, 2011 - Costa Victoria, 2012 - Costa Classica
Old June 5th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Admiral

We stayed on the QM before our Carnival Splendor cruise in Oct 2009. She was also showing her age and needed a refurb. I know she has come under different management since them. Food was good but not fabulous - though we didn't do the brunch which seemed to bring people in droves. The highlight of our stay was watching Splendor arrive in the dark about 6 or 6:30 (our bodies were still on EST so this was not a problem.)

The staterooms used by the hotel are probably much like they were when she last sailed with a few modern amenities added (TV, iPod dock.) We did the self-guided tour but not the ghost tour.

Was very handy sailing Carnival. We walked over to do early check-in, went back for some relaxing time on deck and then walked back to the terminal at our assigned time.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old June 5th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I wonder how the hotel part of her is doing now. We stayed there in '03 and I'm sorry to say the cabins were bad. Poorly cleaned and maintained. It was great for the nostalgia but I would have preferred just taking the tour rather than staying on board.

I know when Paul wrote his article in 2006 it was being refurbished but I wonder if they have maintained it? From what Green has written it doesn't sound like it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 5th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman
Default Great Experience

It's a great experience...do it. Ask for a vintage cabin so you get the full experience. A lot of history there and the tours are very interesting.

We were lucky to stay once during a meeting of the 'art deco' society so everyone was dressed in period clothing. Having a cocktail in the bar was fantastic especially with most guests in period clothes.

On another occasion there was a huge wedding party and that was not as good. The walls are paper thin as they were when it sailed. It was a bit loud.

We have a very detailed book on the history of the QM, that would help you enjoy her even more.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.