Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 4th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique
Default Ladies-air travel theft - please read!

A friend of mine just called me in tears. She travels often for business and is very competent.

On her flight home today from Dallas, she used her passport for i.d. at security, put it back in her wallet and put her wallet in her purse.

She boarded the flight, sat next to a nice young man, chatted a bit and then napped. Went to the restroom about an hour out of Detroit. Returned to seat, chatted a bit more, landed and left the plane.

When she went to her purse, which had been under the seat in front of her the entire flight, except for the one time she took it out to buy a glass of wine.

When she got to the parking lot to retrieve her car, her wallet was gone from her purse. She is positive she boarded with it, paid for the wine, put it back in her purse. The only thing she can figure is that while she was in the restroom, the man next to her took her wallet out of her purse.

I know I've done this a thousand times and wonder if anyone else has? Unless you're traveling with someone you know, make sure to take your purse and/or wallet with you to the restroom!

She's not out a lot of cash - maybe $200.00, but all her credit cards, passport, etc. were in her wallet. Plus she had a devil of a time getting her car out of the lot in Detroit!

So, be careful in the friendly skies!
Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Thanks for the warning, guess you can never be too careful.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 5th, 2006, 03:01 AM
Admiral

The passenger in the seat next to her would have had to produce ID to board. On the remote chance that it was valid ID the police should be following it up. Since it happened on a plane in flight it may even be an FBI matter.
Old March 5th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

Its a sad world we live in today, but I would never leave anything like that next to someone other than DH. I hope she reported it and maybe by chance they can track him down by his seat number. Like Papabill said sounds like FBI should be involved. Good luck to her.
Old March 5th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Papa makes a valid point and that may starting point that they can track the missing wallet.

Then again she went from the plane to the parking lot and did she open her wallet to pay for her drink onboard the airplane. There are many points she could have lost it and this would also make it very hard to prove that this individual stole her wallet unless he used the cards or still had it in his possession. However, she should still report.

I think all travelers need to pay special attention while traveling, not just women. Do not leave your purse or wallet with anyone who is not well known to you.

It is also sad that being friendly to someone also raises a red flag but often a friendly person is someone you do have to watch out for.

Take care,
Mike (Who is often a friendly person but not a bad one)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 6th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Admiral

and that ladies is exactly the reason i do not carry a purse when i travel. I have a fanny pack and my document holder that goes around my neck. These two items never leave my person.
Old March 6th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Admiral

I'm very sorry to hear this. I'm paranoid about my purse. I always carry it to the bathroom when I have to go on planes. If I'm that tired on a long haul over seas I buckle my purse in with me under my seatbelt. Yeah.. it can be a little crowded but I know nobody is getting into it.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old March 7th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Admiral

Never can be too careful. Or too stupid, like me! On the way to San Antonio the other day, I went to the bathroom in the Toronto airport, put my travel folder containing my airline tickets, passport and all other travel info, down on the toilet paper holder box, and left it there!! Never noticed it was missing, until a security guard walked up to me while I was browsing in the gift shop, and called me by name. Puzzled, I said Yes? And she said, could you show me some ID please? I showed her my driver's license, and she handed me back by folder, with everything intact! She had found me by looking at the picture in my passport! Boy, oh boy, was I ever lucky!!
Believe me, that folder did not leave my person for the rest of the trip!

donna
Old March 8th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Admiral

wow Donna you are so lucky!