Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 7th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default CRUISING VS. DESTINATION RESORTS?

We just got back from our cruise on the Pride and had a really nice time. My wife and I were talking about going to one of those resorts like Beaches or Sandals or something like that. Has anyone taken the risk and tried this verses cruising. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Admiral

Now that I've actually been on both, I have to say I enjoyed cruising more. It all depends on what you enjoy doing. I loved seeing all the different islands and enjoyed the people I had dinner with every night.

On a resort, your on your own which is great for some people. You don't have to interact with anyone if you don't want to. You can kick back and not worry about a schedule. Eat dinner whenever you want to and not worry about your tablemates.

Both are appealing depending on what you want your vacation to be like.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old March 8th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Admiral

I very much enjoy both types of vacation. For perspective, in the past ten years we've done 14 cruises and about half as many land vacations.
Lately we have averaged about one of each a year after leaning heavily towards cruising for a while (oh, such decisions) . We tend to book cruises that are port intensive and active (love my sea days though). We find our cruising to involve long active days and nights , that's just us. On the otherhand we tend to find the all inclusive resort vacation to be relaxing, stressless with the hardest decision being whether to get a drink from the beach bar or the pool bar. Ironically many people probably find the cruises to be the relaxing vacation and the land based to be the active, and that is true and fine as well. To each his own. Lately we have struck a "balance" between the two. We will pick one vacation, land or sea, as the big one for the year then offset it with a shorter vacation , usually of the opposite type. 2005 we did a nice "ordinary" 7 day cruise and did our longer vacation as a land vacation in Hawaii. 2004 we did a 19 day, mostly
cruise vacation to Vancouver,Alaska and the west coast as the major
vacation and did a nice one week all inclusive in Aruba as the shorter one.
There should be room in your vacation "portfolio" for both types.
(did I actually say that on a cruise board?, yes I did).
Old March 8th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Admiral

Default Cruising Versus Destination Reports

I prefer cruising. It's simpler because you only unpack once. I also enjoy visiting different ports but I enjoy sea days as well.

Judy
Old March 8th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks to all for the advice and tips. It is very obvious that we love to cruise after 15 cruises. I just felt that after this last cruise that we were due for something different. Make no mistake about, we will cruise many more times again. It is just that I think there comes a time when you need to expand your horizons a little. The one big bummer about cruising is that everytime you find a great beach to hang out on, you have to leave a short time later to catch the ship. Also, does anyone feel the same sales pressure on land vacations as you do on cruises. It seemed to me that our last cruise on the Pride we felt more sales pressure than ever. We did not buy into it but just don't like being presented something to buy on every corner. I don't know, maybe its just me?
Old March 8th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Admiral

When we want to totally relax we do an all inclusive resort in a familiar place. Unpack once, feel no pressure to go exploring because we've been there / done that before. Aruba is a great place to do this. Even if you want to explore you can do just about everything in a day. All inclusives are great and reasonably priced.
Old March 9th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Yeoman

We have been on 8 cruises in the last 3 years, along with 2 All Inclusives. We did the AI in Riviera Maya and Puerto Vallarta, both through Apple Vacations, a 5 apple, and 5 golden apple. We have cruised on Carnival, and RCCL, from the Carnival Holiday to the RCCL Jewel and Navigator.

We love to cruise. The food is much much better than the AI. The AI we stayed at were very nice, large rooms, beautiful pools and grounds, but the food was way below par as they were buffets, with mostly all the same food for the whole week, and the specialty restaurants were not very good at all. Cruise food if the best!

We really enjoy waking up each morning at a different location, and only having to unpack one time. We enjoy a very high intensive vacation, lots of things to do at each port visit, and love the sea days, catching the rays on the sun deck. At the AI, you feel compelled to stay there to get your money's worth, therefore, not venturing out on your own much.

We don't drink much, so the few we have on the ship are not much $$$ out of our pocket.

There is nothing like looking over the horizon from the ships deck, in middle of the ocean, and seeing blue meet blue, with a beautiful sunset!

Our friends would not consider a cruise, since alcohol is not included. This year, we are passing on the group AI, and cruising twice instead. The group is going to Punt Cana this year, and for the price, we can take a really nice cruise, so that is what we are doing. Now, next year, when the plans are for Aruba, we may decide to go along!

NCL Dawn (Repo 14 nite) 11-1-09
RCCL Mariner of the Sea (Mexican Riviera) 4-18-10
1 FFC--Princess

19 finished cruises to date!
Old March 10th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Debbie, That was really helpful. Now you really got my head spinning. Something tells me that next year will be the same. I will talk about the AI all summer and then chicken out and play it safe with another cruise. What the heck, it has worked so far!!!!!!!!
Old March 10th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Admiral

Interesting question. I have never done an AI, so I can't comment there, but several people favoured cruising because "you only have to unpack once". I have to ask, isn't it the same with an AI? You stay in the same place all week, don't you only unpack once there too?
As much as I'd love to spend an entire week on a beach, or by the pool (I am tempted to try an AI!) I think I have become spoiled by the variety of food, entertainment, and beautiful places to visit that cruising presents.

donna
Old March 10th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Yeoman

A note about entertainment at the AI. It is practically zero. Very poor taste. Nothing like the cruise ship entertainers. We have been to shows in Las Vegas and the cruise ship entertainment is right up there with those. The AI entertainment are just some locals that usually can't sing, dance or act to well.

On the AI, you do only have to unpack once, but you are at the same beach every day. On a cruise ship, you go to many different ports/beaches, and locations. We just like the diversity that a cruise offers.

And the food is far superior on a cruise that any AI, IMHO.

NCL Dawn (Repo 14 nite) 11-1-09
RCCL Mariner of the Sea (Mexican Riviera) 4-18-10
1 FFC--Princess

19 finished cruises to date!
Old March 11th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Passenger

Check this out:

www.caribbean-on-line.com and try Travel deals on the right side.

My brother and his wife love AI but my husband and I love cruising - it would be hard to convince us otherwise since we aren't true beach people and love to see different places during the week. Sure a lot to choose from in the AI category though.