Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 8th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Admiral

Default Price of a gondola ride in Venice?

When we were booking excursions last night we eliminated one that was very similar to another with the only difference being a Gondola ride , but the price difference being about $40 each ($80 total) for a "non private" 6 person per gondola 25 minute ride. Did we make a mistake? We will be in Venice in September for two days. How much can we expect to spend for that romantic gondola ride Gram dreams about? (somehow six passengers per gondola did not seem very romantic). Is there a best time of day or best place to do it from?
Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Admiral

Hi Bill;
Well, I think you made the right decision. If Gram wants a goldola ride, she doesn't want one on a "BUS", and that's what the six person ride is like. I haven't been to Venice in about 30 years, so don't know what the private ride will cost you now, but once again, you made the right decision! Keep Gram happy!!!!!
Wish we could join you.
Ken
Old March 8th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Default Price of a Gondola Ride in Venice

I would love a gondola ride, too, but I have heard it's quite expensive.I hope someone will post a price. A gondola "bus" doesn't excite me, either.

Judy
Old March 8th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Admiral

We did the six person gondola. Its great for two couples, but the third ends up split. We were all friends so it wasn't like we were sharing with strangers. We did the ship's tour and I don't remember the cost.

Here is something I found googling:

Quote:
How much does it cost to ride on a gondola in Venice?
The official price is 62 euros for up to six people, for a 50 minute ride before 6:00 PM. However, that is only what the gondoliers claim to the tax man when they have to claim something. Expect to pay 75 euros for a half hour in the daytime, and 125 euros for a half hour in the evening. They can take you on longer rides, but they ask a considerably larger sum.
Here is the url for the site to learn all about gondolas:

http://www.squero.com/gondolafaq.html

While in Venice, don't forget to go to Harry's Bar for a Bellini!

Have Fun!!!

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old March 8th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Admiral

Thank you friends for your comments and the great information. For those prices do I own the gondola at the end of the ride? Perhaps I'll move to Venice and become a gondolier. Sounds like they make out very well.
Papa
Old March 8th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Admiral

9/15/2002 I paid $80 euro for 2 to have a 50 minute ride about 1/2 way up the grand canal (we turned around just before the bridge) at 1100 in the morning. The expression on my girlfriends face was priceless and I would have paid alot more (and he did sing to us)

IMHO, If this is your first time in Venice, bite the bullet and do it. The memories and pictures will be worth it. Besides, you can't come home from Venice and actually tell your friends you didn't spend the money to take the ride.
Old March 8th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

About 15 years ago Betty and I paid about $150 (I can't remember how many Lira it was) for a private Gondola ride. However, it was romantic and I would have paid twice the price for the memory.

The only downside was that Betty talked to the gondolier (sp) for half the time.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me