Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 16th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Yeoman

Default I am in Shock Today !!!!

Tuesday I had a haircut. My appointment was at 11:00AM. I have been going to this lady for about 10 years. She was one year behind me at my high school and I knew her in school, but we didn't run together in school.
Usually when I get a haircut we kind of get caught up about news of mutual friends that we both knew in school.
When I left I made another appointment and left about noon.
Today I was busy at work and decided to eat lunch in the office. I brought the newspaper to work and I read it during lunch.
I turned to the Obituary page and merely glanced at some of the pictures. There she was.... Charlotte, my barber/hairdresser.
I remember as I was leaving the shop one of the girls that worked there was coming in the door with lunch. The shop had ordered lunch for everyone. It turns out that about 12:30 while they were eating Charlotte fell out of her chair on the floor and turned purple. She was dead instantly. They believe it was a cerebal hemmorage.
This is very shocking to be her last customer. It is shocking that she was a friend and one year younger than I am.
Life is prescious mates. Live each day to the fullest.

Regards,
Ben
Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Admiral

Ben: I am so sorry to hear your news. How sad!
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old March 16th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Admiral

Default I am in Shock Today

We take too much for granted, don't we?

Judy
Old March 16th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Judy: We certainly do. This just proves my theory that you must enjoy life now. We are not promised tomorrow!
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old March 16th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Admiral

Wow! Ben, we should all be thankful for every day you can wake up and enjoy life, because as they say, life is short and then you die. I retired early because two of My colleagues, who always talked about retirement, died before they could retire. Book that around the world cruise!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

Ben, I am so sorry and prayers for her peace. You all are so right, live for today because you never know what tomorrow will bring. My first husband died when he was 34. When it hits close to home you look at things differently. Don't let a day go by where you don't tell your wife/husband/children I love you.
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Yeoman

Default I am in shock today

Ben, so sorry to hear about your friend. I recently lost a friend of 40 years. He was such a genuinely nice person, a gentle giant. And life goes on and it is so important to slow down and drink in the good parts and savor time with family and friends. I, like Rick, retired a little early to do just that.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old March 16th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Admiral

Years ago when my son was young he had his hair cutt in a place for little kids. The women was young, with a young daughter and died the same way, keeled over and just died at work..........very sad. In the last two weeks, a 42 year old friend has had a major stroke, she has three kids, one of which is autistic.......and another 43 year old friend was diagnosed with a liver tumor..........life is fragile, and while we might like to think it is older people, it isn't.........another friend lost her husband at the dinner table, he was just 51, On a good note, my Uncle slowly recovers from his stroke, and the ekderly friend I have is going along sort of OK with her chemo. I give her the injections again tomorrow and the next day to boost her white count, I guess we all have to walk the path set before us, and unfortunately we dont always agree with the plan set before ourselves and loved ones. I was thinking of my brother today, they were talking about Mrs Reeves dying so young of Lung Cancer, and she was, so young, my brother even younger than her, just 36 of lung cancer. And on the other hand, this week, two very old ladies I know died peacefully, one at 96, and one at 92, should be like that for all of us, and oh yes, the 96 Year old still has a cousin, who is 104, and you know, she needs a few minutes to remember you, but she is all "there"mentally........
Old March 17th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Admiral

Ben, I can feel your shock and loss. I have lost a younger sibling and have another who is terminally ill. The former was 42 and the later is 49. I have always told them that they were supposed to outlive me. . God can and will call us in a heartbeat so enjoy life to the fullest ladies and gentlemen!!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 17th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Admiral

I'm sorry Ben. That's rough. You're in my thoughts.

Tina

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old March 17th, 2006, 09:07 AM
First Mate

Sorry to hear about the sad news, Ben. I retired early in 1994 because of people I worked with did not make it to enjoy retirement.

I have a saying I use everyday: "Live one day at a time and make it a Masterpiece."

Frank
Old March 17th, 2006, 09:08 AM
First Mate

Wow - I'm so sorry. My cruising mate's mom died the same way. So shocking.

Old March 17th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Admiral

Ben, I am sooo Sorry to hear of this loss. You just never do know when you are going to be taken away. I look at the Obits every day and realize how young the people are getting. My heart felt thoughts go out to you.
Old March 17th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Admiral

Hey guys, it's his barber -- not his sister. Ben is advising us that we should live life to its fullest because you never know when your number is up. He's not seeking sympathy.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old March 17th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Admiral

Hi
It is rough to see the obituary of someone you know in the paper-first thing in the morning.
In the line of work I'm in at a retirement community, that includes assisted living and 24 hour skilled care, someone I was talking to the day before can die over night, or be moved to the hospital because of a fall and come back and never be the same again. It's tough, sometimes, because we've been friends with a resident in a certain apt or bed, then that person is gone, and within a day or two there is someone else in the room or apt occupied by the previous resident/patient.

I'm glad that you were able to enjoy Charlotte's company and had a great time with her the last time you saw her. Savor the memories. Be sad for today or tomorrow but then celebrate the fact that she was a good person and she gave you a good haircut!!

Take care. Lynne

Ruby Princess
Old March 17th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Admiral

Ben- Sorry to hear about that.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old March 17th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Yes,
You never know when your # could be coming up.....a co worker had way too close of a call this week when a 15 year old in a stolen truck hit her head on.....thank heavens for airbags!
Angela Z.
Old March 18th, 2006, 12:56 AM
Admiral

Life IS fragile and should be regarded as such. So many people die at an early age when they should have lived a full life.

I shutter at the recklessness I see from my young employees. They don't yet realize that a stupid act in the car can mean the end of their life.

Regards,
Thomas