Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Another Great Day in Hong Kong

Greetings from Hong Kong:

It's been another busy day: It started early with a small breakfast of soup and noodles from a small shop near the hotel and then it was a short walk to the Star Ferry Pier. The pier is right next to Ocean City which is where the cruise ships board. Ocean City is a large complex which has many high end shops and is basically an indoor type mall. We did some comparison shopping and were happy to find that we had found some good bargains in our previous purchases.

We then boarded the ferry and went across to Hong Kong island and then took a bit of a walk down to the Admiralty to get an idea of the area. From there we boarded the subway and went to Victoria Park. In that area we had lunch at a local restaurant. It was another lovely meal. While we were there Betty asked one of the ladies where she could get her nails done. She recommended a shop just a few shops down. We went there and Betty had a manicure. It was a good thing and in a way, somewhat bad. Good that she had the manicure and that the people were so friendly and conversational. They wanted to know all about the U.S. and where we lived and what we did. They also told us all about Hong Kong and China. The bad part was that an hour and a half just flew by.

From there we grabbed a cab and went up to Victoria Peak. It is the highest point in Hong Kong. The views are beautiful. At the top are a number of shops and restaurants and a large mall area. There is also a paved trail area where you can walk down the peak. We only walked part of way and then back up.

We then grabbed another cab back to the Admiralty and grabbed the subway to the Mong Kok area to look for some electronics. I needed the USB card reader for the camera and I was interested in seeing how much cameras were and if an external USB hard drive was a good price, I would pick one up. I was somewhat disappointed. You do find cameras that aren't yet available in the U.S. 8 and 9 megapixel cameras but prices on the 7 megapixel cameras are about the same as you find in the U.S. However, you don't pay tax, but you will pay duty on your return. I did find a card reader for a good price and I did find an external hard drive for about the same price as on Ebay but without the shipping. Gee: It would have come from Hong Kong anyway.

The other thing that was interesting in Mong Kok was the abundance of real food vendors. Not the ad hoc street set ups but food stands that actually looked clean. Betty and I had to try some octopus and snake. The snake was much better than the octopus. The snake tasted like chicken. Then again, just about anything does.

At that point the feet said it was time to go. We walked back to the ever efficient subway and boarded back to Tsim Sha Tsui and our hotel.

Tomorrow we board the ship. We will deliver our luggage and check in and then we'll head back out and try an area called Kow Ti. It was recommended by the salon owner. She said that is one of the best places to find the "good prices" for clothing.

Now it's time to try and go back to bed. I did post a few pictures but the hotel's Internet connection is not cooperating in uploading and it is quite frustrating. I'll try to post a few more later.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Admiral

Happy to hear that you and Betty are having a great time. Can't wait to see photos of the ship. Be safe and continue having fun.
Old March 19th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Loving to read along Mike. Saw the pics... and btw you are looking fantastic! (nice pick up line huh ).

Sounds like you are making the most of your time which is important on a trip like this. ENJOY .. and look forward to reading more.
Old March 19th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Jacqueline

Mike, keep posting, I enjoy reading your far east adventure.
I check on the pics later.

Have a great time!

Read and post cruise reviews

Old March 19th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Admiral

Default Another Great Day in Hong Kong

Your posts are great, Mike! I just looked at your pictures. They were nifty, too.

Judy
Old March 19th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Admiral

Mike.......glad you & Betty are having a good time........sounds like the locals are being good to you.........tell Betty to keep shopping......

Waiting to hear more.............

Sharon
Old March 19th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Admiral

That's a great shot you got of Hong Kong Island, Mike. It looks like you took it from the ferry, and it also looks like it was a bit choppy out there between Kowloon & H.K. I can't get over seeing that subway, which hadn't even been built the last time I was there.

Times have changed. It doesn't seem possible that it's almost ten years since the place reverted to the custody of The People's Republic. Wow! I hope you can get a good deal on a suit, if you have time before you sail. Bon voyage, and enjoy the cruise. Is Shanghai next?

Jack
Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old March 19th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Admiral

Great pix. Looks like you've lost a whole bunch more ... looking good, Mike. Glad you're trying all the local stuff. And, soon you'll be sailing. Nice to hear from you every day. Hi to Betty.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old March 19th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Just had a chance to catch up with you Mike. You sound like you are having a fantastic time. I never had a desire to go to Asia, but you are making me want to go. Jake will be so glad to hear that. :-)

It's fun reading about your trip, and I hope you can keep up with the posting once you start the cruise. Thanks for the updates.

Phyll
Old March 19th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Captain

Sounds wonderful, Mike! I really enjoyed reading about Hong Kong, definitely on my list of things to do!

Years ago when I first started cruising, a friend and I had a major trip planned on the Royal Princess San Fran to Hong Kong and then an Asian
cruise but we cancelled.

Some day, some day, I'll keep dreaming and I will enjoy reading about it and seeing your pictures!
Old March 19th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Admiral

Reading your posts Mike, is almost like being there! Am off now to go check out your photos! Hope you check in again tomorrow!

donna
Old March 19th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Hey Mike!

Love reading all your posts...don't know if I'd eat "Snake On A Stick" though! !

Your pictures are great!

Thanks for sharing!

Old March 20th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Admiral

I've always wanted to see Hong Kong. Thank you for sharing this with us. It sounds like a wonderful trip.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011