Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 21st, 2006, 10:41 AM
Admiral

Default New Passport Rules??

We just received our "pre-cruise documents" from Princess (yay!!!)
In them, it says that your passport must be valid for a period of 6 months AFTER the cruise, or it's not acceptable. Mine is due for renewal in August, but I thought I was fine for a May cruise. Apparently not.
Is this a new rule? Or maybe just a Princess rule? Has anybody had this experience, and how strict are they? I really don't want to have to get another passport in the next few weeks....

donna
Old March 21st, 2006, 11:38 AM
Admiral

Default New Passport Rules?

Donna, I'd check with a TA or with the cruise line itself. That's too important to mess around with.

Judy
Old March 21st, 2006, 05:29 PM
Yeoman

This seems a bit strange. You passport is good from the first day to the expiration date. It doesn't begin to self destruct six months in advance. Therefore the government says you have a valid passport through the expiration date.
Sounds like a cruiseline thing, but the logic escapes me.

Regards,
Ben
Old March 21st, 2006, 06:04 PM
Yeoman

Default Passport rules

RD I would call Princess just to clarify and put your mind at ease. Things just keep changing and most of it is not for the better. If you don't stay on top of it all I guess they think game over. Let us know what you find out.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old March 21st, 2006, 06:40 PM
Yeoman

RD:
I did not get any " pre cruise " documents for my upcoming April cruise on Princess, but Friday I received the docs themselves.
I did a quick review and found nothing in the docs about your passport must be valid for over 6 months.
I would check with your TA as this sounds screwy.

Regards,
Ben
Old March 21st, 2006, 07:10 PM
Admiral

I have heard of this requirement before. It is not just Princess. A land tour company I have used requires this too. I beleive that some countries may require this but I am not sure.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old March 21st, 2006, 09:34 PM
Captain

I've seen it before, cruise and land tours, not really new. I got mine renewed in 2002 for that reason. I was cruising March 2003 and my passport was due summer of 2003. I would, but that's just me.

I'm a little overly cautious on some things. I renew my drivers license
early (February) when I have until July 26th.

I would ask your TA to check with Princess, if its in print, I'd say that is what they want. Whether they look that close is another story but then if you fill out their pre-paperwork it asks for expiration date.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 06:50 AM
Captain

Default Passport Requirements

Yes, passports are required to be valid for six months after your travel date.

Let's assume your passport expires on January 1. You are booked on a round-the-world cruise that leaves December 1. Thirty two days into your trip, your passport expires. Not only can you not get into the various countries you will be visiting, you won't be able to get back into your own country!

When I was still working, I spent about 120 - 180 days a year out of the country, so I kept close tabs on when my passports (I had two) expired. Didn't want to get marooned somewhere.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 07:52 AM
Admiral

Yep,,,PootersDad is right. We've been told the same thing on our last two or three cruises, and I had to renew my P.P. early in order to comply. It's not just Princess, it's apparently the rule. (Seems strange doesn't it. It they want it to not be valid six months earlier than the experation date, why don't they just move the experation date back six months???)
Happy sailing,
Ken
Old March 22nd, 2006, 08:16 AM
Admiral

Thanks for your help everyone. It still seems mighty strange to me that they require a 6 month window when it's only a 7 day cruise! I guess I'll be getting a new passport before we sail. One more thing to add to the "to do list"........

donna
Old March 22nd, 2006, 09:34 AM
Captain

Default Passport Expiration

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna
Thanks for your help everyone. It still seems mighty strange to me that they require a 6 month window when it's only a 7 day cruise! donna
Yeah, it does seem strange. I guess the Passport Agency picked this "six months rule" out of the air (or somewhere). Since they don't know when your passport expires, they had to have SOME rule to apply.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Donna- just to be on the safe side i would contact immigration or check on their web site. I don't know the time window for re-issue but for new passports is 7-8 weeks. That won't work for you.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 12:42 PM
Captain

Default Renewing Passport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
I don't know the time window for re-issue but for new passports is 7-8 weeks. That won't work for you.
In an emergency situation, you can have a new/renewed passport in less than a week. The only problem is the cost, which is probably double the regular cost. I assume it's the same in Canada.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 02:56 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

It may not be a requirement of the US government, but a requirement of one or more of the governments on your itinerary. One of the reasons behind the 6 month mark is say, you were on a trip and ended up stranded in a foreign country due to an accident or medical condition, etc. You have a passport that is going to expire in a month and you end up staying longer than a month. Now, not only are you in that country without documentation, you won't be able to get back into the USA without a lot of hassle.