Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 25th, 2006, 11:48 PM
LadyInAwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy
Dear ladyinawe, I can't believe you said what you said. I'm a pretty conservative guy myself, but for your information, government regulations that require functioning sprinkler systems, fire resistant construction materials, smoke alarms, and fire training for crews are not considered "communism" by the vast majority of rational human beings in the Western World. Surely, those things don't offend you, do they
You have taken what I wrote completely out of context. Perhaps I should have elaborated more. However, as you could see by the quote, I was in agreement w/someone else’s statement . . . perhaps reading their whole thread would help you to understand my statement (or not). I believe America, where I live, was built on freedom. I do not believe we should allow our government to govern every aspect of life. I very much agree w/ regulations that require functioning sprinkler systems, fire-resistant construction materials, smoke alarms, and fire training for crews.

And As for now the alleged human discarding a cigarette off the balcony is just a theory.
Old March 26th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Admiral

Ladyinawe, OK, I guess I took your post for what you said, in the context of the entire thread, not what you apparently meant. Sorry.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old March 26th, 2006, 02:37 AM
First Mate

Smoking should be banned on cruise ships if not in all areas definitely in the cabins. It should also be banned in hotel rooms. Recently staying in a hotel, whilst I was in a non smoking room. the smoke from other rooms on the floor was coming into my room through the venting system.

Smoking stinks, smoking kills in more ways than one. Why should I have to put up with smelly hair and clothes because you want to kill yourself. Do it in your own home not around other people!!!!!!

Jennc
Old March 26th, 2006, 02:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I have to say I'm awfully bewildered how/why people want to take this accident to debate smoking vs. non smoking.

There was a fire on a ship so, people shouldn't smoke in hotel rooms because ventilation is bad, and smells in the room next door?????

WOW
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 26th, 2006, 02:58 AM
Admiral

Why should I have to put up with smelly hair and clothes because you want to bathe in perfume???

Regards,
Thomas (a non-smoker)
Old March 26th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Admiral

I agree that this was a very frightening, unfortunate, and most unnecessary ship fire. In the last several years we have become so "politically correct" that if the pendulum doesn't swing back to center none of us will have the freedoms we've come to enjoy and expect.

Everybody is offended by "something"-perfume, petroleum products, candle fragrances, smoking, drinking, certain religions,.........that pretty soon there will not be one thing in this country that hasn't been touched by the court system or Congress.

It is agreed that smoking is a nasty habit, but another nasty habit could be biting one's fingernails or cracking one's knuckles or spitting in the street. Let's focus on the reasons for the fire and try to get the authorities to address the cause and remedies so it doesn't happen again.
Lynne

Ruby Princess
Old March 26th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Admiral

I am having great difficulty with this thread.

For some reason, people seem to think it is wrong to start a debate on smoking. I disagree. it was bound to happen when it came out it may have been started by smokes.

I watched my brother die of lung cancer. I held him in my arms as he drew his last breath, and I told my mother that her only son was dead.

My brother died at 36 because he was a smoker.

His children also have asthma, that funny enough has cleared up for the most part now that he is dead...........why because he is not poluting their air. Incidently, on his death bed, he said to my son, gasping for breath as he drowned in his own blood in his lungs, Daniel, dont ever F...... smoke". That was his last words to my son. His children, he left four of them between the ages of 9 and 3.

Smokers can smoke, but in their space, not mine, they do something we know is a leading cause of illness and death, and that the effects of second hand smoke is worse than first hand smoke.

That is why this has become a debate. Non smokers are tired and fed of of having our air polluted.

I dont care what the heck you do in youre own home, I do care when it infringes on my space and my health. I have been medically sick to long and have fought one to many battles on a resperator in an ICU to have any patience left for some one who smokes near me and makes me physically ill.

Smokers have rights, to smoke in their own space, not in the room I will sleep in, not in the place I will eat in. You want to drink your self to death go ahead, you want to eat your self to death, fine, you want to bite you nails or pull your hair, fine, but dont pollute the air I breath . To me it is not just a nasty habit, it affects the health and well being of many.

Some may not like my perfume, but that is a few, smoking is a major cause of disease and death and is not just an irritant. You cant ban every thing that bothers every one, but this is more than just a bother.

I am truly sorry if I seem heated by this, but believe you me, the effects of smoking are all to real to me. And for everyone who thinks I never smoked, as a teen, I did smoke, although the career was short lived given the admissions to hospital. My brother heavily smoked from 12 years of age till his death at 36. My sister smoked from 12 to about 30 and stopped,, the rest of my family members didnt have to stop, they died from lung cancer.
Old March 26th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy
And by the way, ladyinawe, if some idiot flips a cigarette overboard and endangers the lives of everyone on board, I don't think he's "...smart enough to set rules for..." himself --do you
I agree 100%. Why should the MINORITY be allowed to engage in an activity that puts the entire ship at risk? Why not have designated smoking areas that are enclosed and monitored continuously? This way the rest of us don't have to worry about a carelessly tossed cigarette putting our lives in jeopardy or having to breath second hand smoke..a known carcinogen. The smokers can go to these areas and smoke all they want.
Old March 26th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
For some reason, people seem to think it is wrong to start a debate on smoking. I disagree. it was bound to happen when it came out it may have been started by smokes.

I watched my brother die of lung cancer. I held him in my arms as he drew his last breath, and I told my mother that her only son was dead.
I, of course, can sympathize with the pain of your loss! BUT.. it has nothing to do with a fire on a cruise ship. There's been threads around forever and often asking people's opinions about their desire, or lack of desire, for the return of a smoke free ship.

But "hijacking" a thread about an incident of fire on a ship to expound ones own distain for smoking in general plainly doesn't seem fitting.

I've lost a dear cousin, who was in fine physical condition, and a "fitness nut", to brain cancer, and an uncle to the same disease, and a business partner to colon cancer. Unfortunately our society accepts carcinogens, and allows them to be put in the air from a variety of sources, where those sources are "viewed" as beneficial to society overall... such as from automobiles, trucks, various industry, etc.

So should I take this thread and try and make it a discussion about us allowing our "environmental controls" to kill us?

There's many of us who are zealous about lots of different "causes", but I don't think it's appropriate to take any and every opportunity given, even when it's stretch, to espouse those causes....

In my view a thread about a fire on a cruise ship, quite possibly caused by an errant lit cigarette, turning into a discussion of cancer, no matter how personal a cause it might be, isn't really appropriate.
Old March 26th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Admiral

a classic example of different strokes for different folks, I mearly picked up where others were going. I also gave my personal reasons why I dont believe smoking should be aloud in cabins, I joined in on the dabte when I saw the debate but my origional posts about the fire were related to the safety and lack of , when smoking in a cabin on a ship. no one knows where a thread will go, clearly it became a forum for peole to discuss feelings on smoking and health risks associated, and trust me, I am the wrong person to lecture about loss and cancer, believe you me, the wrong person.
Old March 26th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Admiral

I gather Kuki that you are a smoker. I used to be one too, started when I was about 13, smoked for 25 years. Like others, I have had relatives die from smoking related illnesses. both cancer and emphysema. My own lung capacity is less than it should be because of it. Now I am a dedicated anti-smoker. I don't want to stay in a hotel room or a stateroom where a smoker has been, or eat in a restaurant, or drink in a bar where they are polluting my air. The era of smokers is very rapidly (and thankfully) coming to an end. The fire on the Star Princess opens a very legitimate reason to discuss the whole subject.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old March 26th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Honestly.. in my view whether I am a smoker or not is not as issue at all.

To me it's the same as taking a post about, say, the pirate attack that occurred against a ship recently, and making it a debate about religion, because the attackers may have been from Somalia, and a particular religion.

As I've said before... there are LOTS of threads around the boards when the "smoking debate" rages, and I've never commented on ANY of them being inappropriate. They are what they are.

I will say that when the public demands, with their wallets rather than their voices and opinions, a particular action.... and the cruise line's or any business see it as profitable, they will react to that demand.

As a business person if I saw a competitor was doing land office business, and mine was suffering because of a decision I made, you can be certain that my policy would change.
And that is why people and businesses should be left to make these decisions, rather than government.

People should support businesses whose philosophies matches their own, and refuse to support businesses that don't.... uncompromisingly. That type of action may lead those who don't to change.
Old March 26th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Admiral

"I, of course, can sympathize with the pain of your loss! BUT.. it has nothing to do with a fire on a cruise ship. There's been threads around forever and often asking people's opinions about their desire, or lack of desire, for the return of a smoke free ship.

But "hijacking" a thread about an incident of fire on a ship to expound ones own distain for smoking in general plainly doesn't seem fitting."

I just want to make clear to every one I did not change this thread, or hijack this thread to an agenda of smoking health. I made my comments after other comments were posted with regard to health, smokin rights pro and con etc. My origional posts were directly related to smoking and fire safety, that is it, that is all. I wrote my feelings on smoking after the tone of the thread changed, I did not Hijack any thing.
Old March 26th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Passenger

Great offenses and defenses about smoking, BUT it still has not been stated by [i]OFFICIAL[/i], what the cause of the fire was
Old March 26th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Admiral

Smokers---- arm yourselves with several packs of king size smokes, plenty of matches and get set !!

Anti-smokers--- gather those old water pistols--- wipe the dust off--
be sure they are filled to the brim with nice clean water ( preferrably high end bottled water ) and get set !!

Now, as darkness approaches, the smokers make their move-- they gather in small groups and fan out along the top deck, moving from bow toward the stern, blowing smoke thick as fog down upon the balconies below.

But wait--- suddenly from behind the bar at the pool, from out of the lifeboats and from under the carpeting itself come the non smokers, spraying everything in their path with their trusty water guns!!

The smokers huff and puff--- the non-smokers spray faster -- huff puff---spray--spray !!

God, I can't bear rthe carnage-- reminds me too much of Vietnam !!

But no--- it's a dream -- guess I fell asleep at the keyboard. Whew !
Old March 28th, 2006, 02:53 AM
Admiral

Delfthuis> The funny thing about BB's is, the more righteous you try to appear, somebody will always try harder to "stomp a mudhole in you and walk it dry" - S. C. S. Austin

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008