Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2006, 06:12 PM
Yeoman

Default Candles on cruise ships

The recent tragedy onboard Star Princess made me recall an incident for us on Grand Princess a few years ago. We were dining in the specialty restaurant with my husband's parents. The waitress set a basket of rolls on the table with the basket lined with a cloth napkin. It caught fire from the candle on the table. My dh instinctively slapped it out with his bare hand. He had blisters on several fingers, but we never saw a candle again on any cruise ship.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2006, 06:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Several years ago, we use to see posters mentioning, wanting to take candles onboard, for ambiance, romance, etc. I had a knee jerk reaction, to these posters, and wanted to ask, if they had a brain in their head.. Didn't they relalize the danger in this? I don't think I remember ever seeing a candle in the dining rooms though. My first thought, when I heard of the fire, was a candle..Such a tragedy!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 23rd, 2006, 07:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

The only candles I've seen are the baked alaska night in the dining room. Even then I'm not sure I like the idea.
One time the crew used sparklers, hated that even more.

Wife wanted me to bring candles one time to have a leisure bath, conveniently forgot them. Got her one of those battery operated lights that look like a flickering candle.

Irons are another pet peeve of mine. Cabin next to us on one cruise left an iron on and with the rolling of the ship it was knocked over and started to burn a towel used for pressing. Lucky there was someone in the room to correct the situation. Could smell it in the hallway and our cabin.

Old March 23rd, 2006, 08:35 PM
Passenger

ooooooo, i like that idea of battery operated candles, i think i my have a few i can gig up.
Old March 24th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Admiral

I have a boat and the thought of an open flame anywhere on the boat gives me the jitters. We don't allow it on ours so I wouldn't even think about taking it on a cruise ship.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old March 24th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Admiral

Trip - i feel exactly the same way, i have wanted to say to these people, what do you have rocks in your head? You are on a MOVING vessel people. Do airplanes allow you to have candles, how about on trains, or motor coaches??