Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 28th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Admiral

Default Hallelujah, I'm Back!!

Hi everyone! I got back from London last night, and was so frustrated not being able to post then or this morning. I sent out a couple of SOS's by e-mail and VOILA! Problem is all fixed and here I am! (thanks Kuki!)

Well, I say I went to London, but I didn't actually SEE London. After arriving early Sat. morning, we were driven to the little village (Letchmore Heath) where my brother -in-law lives, about 30 mins. from Heathrow. We spent the day with him, driving around the countryside (in his Jaguar), visiting an outdoor model railway park in Watford,(whenever the brothers get together, there's ALWAYS trains involved!), and of course, the requisite lunch at the pub. Sat. evening, we visited another little town (Hatfield) to attend the big birthday bash at a private home. It was a beautiful and delicious dinner party, and we had a very good time. Are you familiar with the Irish Rovers song "Wasn't That a Party?" That pretty much describes it. I honestly don't know how a 78 year old man can consume that much alcohol and still be standing at the end of the evening!

Sun. morning it was breakfast at Elstree Aerodrome, a little aeroport/flying club, where we watched small planes and helicopters taking off and landing. Then it was goodbye, and off to the airport by noon. At least we thought it was goodbye....

After 3 hours in the airport, at 3:15p.m. we found out that our flight was full and we couldn't get on. We waited another 2 hours for a flight to Ottawa, and couldn't get on that either. It didn't look any better for a flight to Toronto at 9p.m. so we gave up, went to the ticket counter and bought a full fare ticket home for the next day. Then it was a scramble to call my son, and both our employers to tell them we would be a day late, and also to find a hotel room for the night. Stress, stress, stress....

By the time we got to the hotel, it was evening, it was raining and we were exhausted. Here we were in London, and we couldn't gather the strength to go out and see any of it! So we had a drink in the bar, paid for a few minutes on the internet, had a hot bath, ordered room service and went to bed early. The next morning there was no time to do any tours of London, before having to be at the airport again, where we waited until 3:15 again for our flight. I now know every store, restaurant, pub, bathroom, and boutique in Heathrow airport intimately!

Finally, we got our flight home, and pretty good service in Economy. (we had flown over in First Class) We arrived home in Montreal in the middle of rush hour, and while sitting in traffic on an elevated expressway, somebody honked at us to tell us there was fluid leaking out under our car. Poor hubby nearly lost it! Just what we needed, car trouble! Turned out, it was only a broken windshiled washer fluid hose, not the radiator, thank goodness, but we still had to leave it at the garage on the way home. Needless to say, we were very glad to finally be home and let life get back to normal!

So, that is the story of my wild weekend. Next time I tell you we're planning to fly somewhere stand-by for the weekend, would somebody SLAP me please?!!

donna
Old March 28th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Admiral

Default Hallelujah, I'm Back

Gosh, Donna, that sounded like a "lost weekend!" I had a similar experience on our Baltic cruise when Keith got sick. We did manage to see some of Stockholm, though.

You two will have to schedule a "make-good" and tour London for real.

Glad to see you back, though.

Judy
Old March 28th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Yeoman

That sounds gruesome to what was an exciting short weekend.
Glad you are home !!

Regards,
Ben
Old March 28th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

No, Donna, I won't slap you, I'd probably encourage you to do it again and have another adventure because that's what life is all about, yes?
Angela Z.
Old March 28th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Admiral

Angela, it was an adventure going out, but it was more like a nightmare coming back! But hey - that's life eh?

donna
Old March 29th, 2006, 02:14 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Donna - sounds like most of your vacation was a blast! Sorry about the hassles on the way home......sure wish you could have seen at least a little of London.

One of these days I'm going to forgo a cruise (gasp!) and go see London, England and Ireland!
Old March 29th, 2006, 05:09 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Jacqueline

You should have come to Amsterdam, we had no rain this weekend
Easyjet is such an easy Jet

Read and post cruise reviews

Old March 29th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Admiral

Glad you made it back....adventure will keep you young at heart