Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Busan (Pusan)Korea: And Still Going Strong

Today was a “Do it Yourself� day in Busan (Pusan) Korea. We left the ship early and made our way to the Fish Market for breakfast and to view the various catches of the day. What a sight it was. There were fish stands everywhere and not a tourist shop to be found. We couldn’t even buy a t-shirt. It was somewhat refreshing. Our breakfast consisted of a whole fish, kimchi (pickled cabbage) cold soup, beef soup and some green stuff. It was a lovely breakfast for two that was served in a traditional manner on the floor cross-legged style.

After that we took the subway to the Busan Tower to get a good view of the city. Other than getting a good view there really wasn’t nothing else to see. Actually Busan doesn’t have too much to offer. All of the folks who did tours didn’t have anything to really rave about.

From there we decided to go back to the Fish Market for a late lunch and feasted on fresh eel that we picked from the tank and watched while it was cleaned, sliced and then prepared, tableside for us. It ranks as the second best meal we’ve had on our trip. The first is still the point and grunt meal we had in Hong Kong in the restaurant where they spoke no English and we had to point at some BBQ’d meat in the window and grunt that, that is what we wanted.

We did find a good foreign currency exchange bank, two blocks from the ship, where we were able to unload our Hong Kong dollars and Chinese yuan for Yen in preparation for our final 3 days in Japan. They actually had a better exchange rate than advertised by the ship. Then again, most information provided by the ship hasn’t been too accurate. I compared exchange rates online and it was basically 2% under current price. It’s better than running around with un-spendable cash in your pocket. A number of shipmates and a few crew visited the exchange after we told them about it.

The onboard Internet has taken a downturn in speed and we will be out of service after tomorrow. There is some issue with the satellite that they haven’t been to clear about.

In the morning it’s Nagasaki and we will be visiting the Peace Park and then the Shinto Shrines. It will be a full day and I better get myself to bed so I will be fully rested for the day.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Mike & Betty,
I so love rading your posts. They read like a traveler, and not a tourist, how refreshing. You are my hero, actually trying the traditional food, instead of wishing it was a double bacon cheeseburger

I swear, you have been gone for about 3 months, is that about right? Think of me while in Japan, one place I truly would love to see,and know I never will;(

Continue on having a true, cruise of a lifetime! xooxoxoxoxox

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 30th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Your meals sound like they'd be my version of "Fear Factor"

Delighted to hear you and Betty are enjoying "getting local" though.

Good advice about ship's currency exchanges though. When traveling anywhere outside of the Caribbb, the exchange on the ship is a bout the worst you're going to find anywhere.

Be well, and continue enjoying!!!
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 30th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Admiral

Default Busan (Pusan) Korea and Still Going

How exotic! I have to agree with Kuki about the meals! I look forward to more of your posts.

Judy
Old March 30th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Admiral

Mike, I'm loving your travel log. I just think I'll have to take you and Betty along as tourguides when Jake and I start doing those exotic cruises. Not sure I would want to try eel, but you never know. You even make that sound tempting.

Enjoy your time in Japan. It does seem like you've been gone an awfully long time.

Phyll
Old March 30th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Admiral

Mike, I will keep the Pusan fish market in mind for our cruise! That sounds wonderful! My favorite sushi chef says to be sure and go to the fish markets in the Japanese ports as well. Especially Tokyo, but I think that may be on the Vancouver leg. anyway, try to remember that Geishas are dispensers of culture, not ladies of the evening.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old March 30th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Admiral

Fresh fish market and eel for lunch is not my idea of a good time, but I'm glad you and Betty are enjoying yourselves Mike! What an exotic vacation!

donna
Old March 30th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Admiral

I spent a month in Nagasaki in '66 and never ran out of sights to see, when I had time away from the job. Don't miss the cable car to view the city. My favorite food was eel also, but we don't find it here too often. Better than walleyed pike I'd say.

Enjoy the day.

Keith
Old March 31st, 2006, 05:27 PM
Passenger

I visited Pusan, Korea last year on a Sapphire Princess Osaka/Seattle cruise. It was my first visit there since the Korean War, when I landed there in 1951.

My how things changed! I remember in 1951, you could smell the port a couple hours out to sea. The City was over run with refugees, from the rest of Korea. I don't remember seeing any paved roads or large buildings in the area, particulary South of the City.

I also left from Pusan, to Japan and back home, after my combat tour as an Infantry soldier in the "Wolfhounds," 25th Infantry Division. I remember that the United Nations Cemetery was right across the street from the replacement depot, that out processed us. One could see the white wood crosses and Stars of David from our barracks. One reflected on how many of your Buddys were there.

On my recent visit, I did visit the United Nations Cemetery on a tour from the ship. It of course was vastly different. Gone were the Crosses & Stars of David. Now, there are flat markers at the grave sites. On visiting the American sector, I noticed that there were not that many buried there, as a result of the war. Most Americans buried there died after the war, most likely while living in Korea as civilians, etc. This is a lot different then the Cemetery, say above the Normandy invasion beaches, where I also visited.

In the other sectors, UK, Canadian, Turks, etc. there were many combat KIAs buried there. In any case the visit had a sobering effect on me for the rest of the day.

We also managed to visit the fish market and a shrine, during our one day stop in Pusan. I didn't eat anything though.

I still can't get over the changes there and in Korea, since the war. Freeways, tall buildings, cars, motorcycles, and healthy, wealthy looking people.

I gives me some happiness, and feeling of accomplishment, that at least we did accomplish something, by halting the North Korean and Chinese invasion and preserving the Freedom of the South Korean Nation.

De Oppresso Liber - RLTW
Old March 31st, 2006, 05:54 PM
Admiral

A job well done GBeret, and I thank you for doing it by the way, have you ever seen the night time satellite photo of Korea. south Korea is lit up like a Christmas tree to the 38th parallel. North Korea is as dark as the inside of a goat. It says a lot!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old March 31st, 2006, 07:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Thanks everyone:

Today we doing some beautiful and scenic cruising. I didn't have a good night but we'll leave it at that.

Kuki: I want to clarify one thing. The ship has NO currency onboard except for American dollars and Japanese yen. The advertised rate I referred to was what they stated was the current exchange rate for American dollars and Korean kuon. I would not exchange currency onboard. The surcharge is too expensive.

Then again, there was one couple who told us they spent an hour trying to find somewhere to exchange money because they didn't want to pay the fees. That amount of time lost isn't worth saving five dollars.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 31st, 2006, 08:56 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy
A job well done GBeret, and I thank you for doing it by the way, have you ever seen the night time satellite photo of Korea. south Korea is lit up like a Christmas tree to the 38th parallel. North Korea is as dark as the inside of a goat. It says a lot!
Thanks! No I haven't seen that photo; however, it doesn't surprise me. I walked through "Check Point" Charlie in West Berlin into East Berlin in the Cold War days on a Sunday. The difference there in the day time, was bad enough much less after dark. As bad as it was in East Germany at the time, it doesn't hold a candle to North Korea and its repressive regime.

De Oppresso Liber - RLTW
Old March 31st, 2006, 09:46 PM
Captain

sounds like your having a great time i'll skip the food just give me a hot dog or hamburg
Old April 1st, 2006, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Hi Mike,

I'm glad to hear you're having a nice time (other than last night!).

I have to agree with paddletoe53, though! I'm not very adventurous when it comes to what I put in my stomach!

So far the most "adventure" I've had was trying escargot on a cruise. It was good, but I love garlic and that's all I could taste .

We're all enjoying your posts,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014