Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 12th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Passenger

Default Looking for a little support

Hello everyone. I've only recently started posting and don't know many of you very well, but I've noticed that all of you are a very supportive and kind group. So I'm turning to my new found friends for a little support. I just found out that my very dear friend of 25 years has been diagnosed with Stage 3 Multiple Myeloma. Her chances are not very good at this time. 70-90% of her bone marrow has the cancer. from what I've learned so far, this is a mean, painful cancer. She has a 2 year old son that needs his mommy and that breaks my heart. I am not ready to loose my friend and I'm not giving up on the treatments just need to hear someone say keep fighting I guess.

Thank you for letting me vent a little. Any prayers, kind thoughts and good karma you can pass her way would be much appreciated.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Captain

i'm sorry to hear about your friend i wish her the best of luck
Old April 12th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Admiral

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. Be strong for her and her son. They both need you now more than ever. Know that you are all in my prayers. Miracles can and do happen. You just need to believe and have faith.
Old April 12th, 2006, 12:30 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Eaky77

Madismom....

I am so sorry to hear about your friend, and her little one. It is so heartbreaking. Never give up hope. My MIL was very ill right before my hubby and I got married. She was in the hospital, and they even read her last rights to her. 2 days before our wedding, my MIL was out of the hospital, and she was even able to dance a bit at the reception. NEVER give up hope!

Erin
09-24-06 Destiny
10-02-05 Valor My favorite yet!
10-23-04 Triumph (Honeymoon of my dreams)
12-24-94 Holiday
Old April 12th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: Looking for a little support

to the group, Madismom. We will keep you in our thoughts and hope for the best.
Old April 12th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Admiral

Madismom, I'll be very glad to add her and you to my prayer list. Whether she has a long life ahead or a short one, I know that your friendship and support will be a huge blessing to her. I'm praying for a positive outcome.

Phyll
Old April 12th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Admiral

Madismom, I had stage three melanoma in 1981 and I am a bigtime survivor. Tell your friend to keep the faith because the mind and spirit are very important tools to use in the fight for life!! I was told to go to the big cancer rearch hospital in Houston when I was strikened. I thought, "You know. All of these people say to go to this place but there is something wrong here. All of their loved ones are deceased!!" So, I refused to go to that hospital and instead, chose a hospital that is ran by the Catholic Church. Being in a religious setting and having nuns as nurses and the positive outlook that they brought to me helped my mind and spirit, so much that after going on 25 years, I can say that I AM A SURVIVOR!! WOO HOO!! 8) Pardon my yells, friends, but I am happy to still be here and happy to relate my story to help another continue to live!! You can feel free to send me a PM and I will reply and if your friend wishes to talk about it, I will happily help out!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 12th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Captain

Hi Madismom,
I pray for the best outcome for your freind who needs you and for her son who needs her. There is so much power in positive thoughts and prayers.

Take care,
Karen
Old April 12th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Admiral

Hi,

I'm so very sorry to hear this. It must be some relief to hear from a survivor. I hope your friend heals just like mehawk did.

Carolin

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old April 12th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Admiral

I'm glad to meet you, but feel sad for the news of your friend.
Will pray for you all.
Old April 12th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Admiral

Default Looking for a Little Support

I recently lost a long-time friend and neighbor to breast cancer. I very much hope that your friend survives as Michael did.

Judy
Old April 12th, 2006, 06:19 PM
First Mate

My mother has breast cancer & due to her age (86) they are giving her an oral cancer medication, instead of chemo or radiation. She has some side effects, but nothing serious.

It does break your heart to hear that your firend, a young mother, has been stricken by this disease.

Give her your love, support & just be there to listen. She is lucky to have you as a friend.

Just remember to take care of yourself.

Sending warm thoughts & prayers to both of you.
Old April 12th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

First, I would like to say welcome And wish we could've meet under better circumstances.

Of course. we'll be glad to put you and your friend and her family on our prayer lists.

But, you know, what mehawk said is so true. If you keep a positive outlook , strong mind and soul, your chances increase dramatically
Tell your friend to stay strong, and you stay strong for her and that littleone.

Mehawk, You yell on brother You have something to shout about

May God Bless;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old April 12th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Passenger

Thank you everyone very, very much for all of your prayers and well wishes. I knew I came to the right place. You are all such kind, warm, friendly people and I am very glad to meet each and every one of you !!!!!
Old April 12th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Please know I will keep you and your friend in my prayers...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 12th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Admiral

Madismom, first let me say welcome and I'm so glad you felt comfortable enough with us to "unload" your biggest problem! Best wishes and good vibes going out to your best friend. She will need all your support and encouragement from here on in, just know we will support you too!

donna
Old April 12th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Admiral

Dear Madismom, I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I am way more familiar with Multiple Myeloma than I ever wanted to be. My mother in law was diagnosed with it nearly 3 years ago. The Doctors found it on accident. They were doing bloodwork prior to breast cancer treatment and found the presence of Bence Jones proteins in her blood. So she had breast and plasma cell cancer. At that time she was given less than 2 years to live. She was sent home and told to get her affairs in order.
Needless to say she is a very strong willed woman and she told the Doctor to go stuff himself, then went out and found herself a new Doctor who could give her more than a death sentence. While there is no known cure, there are several treatments that can extend life and greatly improve the quality of life for those who are afflicted with this terrible cancer.
My mil goes monthly for her Pamidronate IV, the purpose of this drug is to basically keep the bones from losing calcium and preserves the strength and integrity of the bones. It works wonders.
Following a mastectomy, MIL also underwent a very successful bone marrow transplant about 2 and a half years ago. Basically they gave her very intense chemo treatments and then harvested and "cleaned" her own bone marrow, they put her in isolation at the hospital and took down her immune system with more chemo and then reintroduced the bone marrow and as her immune system rebuilt itself she went into a remission and has been since.
We do not kid ourselves and we know it will come back but she still has lots of weapons in her arsonal. She can have another bone marrow transplant and there are some very promising results with the drug Velcade.
Please check out some of these websites as they have been very helpful.
http://www.multiplemyeloma.org/
http://mm.acor.org/ I love this one, there are survivors here who've been in remission for over 20 years.
http://www.myeloma.org/ There is a ton of info here and support resources
http://www.aafp.org/afp/990401ap/1885.html This article has some very interesting info regarding stage 3 patients and bone marrow transplants resulting in long term remissions in some cases.
Please let your friend know that there is hope and not to give up on seeing her baby grow up. I will be praying for her and that God will lend her the strength to fight.