Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 13th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Passenger

Default Rats

Hi all
I received this email from a work colleague and I think it's interesting to share with you.

Your family and friends will be shocked at this!

IMPORTANT
A stock clerk was sent to clean up a storeroom in a Port of Spain factory just recently.
When he got back, he was complaining that the storeroom was really filthy and that he had noticed dried mouse or rat droppings in some areas.
A couple of days later, he started to feel like he was coming down with stomach flu, complained of sore joints and headaches, and began to vomit.

He went to bed and never really got up again. Within two days he was severely ill and weak. His blood sugar count was down to 66, and his face and eyeballs were yellow. He was rushed to the emergency at Mount Hope where he was diagnosed to be suffering from massive organ failure. He died shortly before midnight.
No one would have made the connection between his job and his death,had it not been for a doctor who specifically asked if he had been in a warehouse or exposed to dried rat or mouse droppings at any time. They said there is a virus (much like the Hanta virus) that lives in dried rat and mouse droppings.

Once dried, these droppings are like dust and can easily be breathed in or ingested if a person does not wear protective gear or fails to wash face and hands thoroughly.
An autopsy was performed on the clerk to verify the doctor's suspicions.

This is why it is extremely important to ALWAYS carefully rinse off the tops of canned sodas or foods, and to wipe off pasta packaging, cereal boxes, and so on.
Almost everything you buy in a supermarket was stored in a warehouse at one time or another, and stores themselves often have rodents.

Most of us remember to wash vegetables and fruits but never think of boxes and cans.
The ugly truth is, even the most modern, upper-class, super store has rats and mice. And their warehouse most assuredly does!

Whenever you buy any canned soft drink, please make sure that you wash the top with running water and soap or, if that is not available, drink with a straw.
The investigation of soda cans by the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta discovered that the tops of soda cans can be encrusted with dried rat's urine, which is so toxic it can be lethal. Canned drinks and other foodstuffs are stored in warehouses and containers that are usually infested with Rodents, and then they get transported to retail outlets without being properly cleaned.

You are never sure where the items came from, under what conditions they were stored, do the safe and sensible thing wash with a little chlorine in the water, dry with paper towels.
Please forward this message to the people you care about.
(I JUST DID!)

Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Admiral

They can pass on hepatitis as well.
I had to remove some mouse droppings once from one of our com's cabinets,
I did without touching them, but immediately drove to the shops and bought disinfectant wipes. I cleaned all surfaces in the car including my keys and wallet.
I was so paranoid about it.
I also open canned goods from the bottom.

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old April 13th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Admiral

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old April 13th, 2006, 04:32 AM
Admiral

Thanks CC for exposing this BS floating around the internet.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 13th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Admiral

Not BS Thomas, RS

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old April 13th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Admiral

This just proves you can't believe everything you read on the Internet.

I do all kinds of things that are considered "dangerous" and I've never been sick from any of them!

I do wash off the tops of cans, but that's because they're usually covered with dust from their time in the warehouse. I also wash fruits, but I don't scrub them with soap and water.

I've been known to thaw meat on the counter ! We've never gotten sick from that either!

IMPO, you develop an immunity to a lot of "germs" by NOT cleaning everything within an inch of its life!

If you check out the "rules" on bugs or rat litter, etc., you'll be surprised at how much you ARE eating. And you live through it!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old April 14th, 2006, 02:02 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I hate to admit it, but some of the sloppiest people I know never get sick, and some of the cleanest are always getting runny noses & headaces. Now maybe that is why they are so clean, or maybe not....

I do think it helps to build an immunity early in life.

I have this ongoing debate with my sister who doesn't believe children should be immunized. I tell her, that's great for you, but you are gaining the benefit of everyone else already being immunized, because if they were like you, we would still have diseases like polio floating around.

She doesn't get it... go figure?
Old April 14th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Admiral

Hi Paul,

Quote:
I have this ongoing debate with my sister who doesn't believe children should be immunized. I tell her, that's great for you, but you are gaining the benefit of everyone else already being immunized, because if they were like you, we would still have diseases like polio floating around.
Amen! Are her children going to public school? If they are they're going to HAVE to be immunized! What "terrible" things does she think will happen if they're immunized? If her children and one other parent's child aren't immunized there's a chance of polio or some other terrible disease affecting them! I know I'm "preaching to the choir", but you really have to have a serious talk with her, before it's too late!

I'm guessing that you and I are about the same age. We probably had measles, mumps, and chicken pox (I know I did.). Our parents may have even purposely exposed us to these to "get us over it". Now you rarely even hear of these illnesses! I sure wish I'd never had to go through them!

Please talk to your sister about this!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old April 15th, 2006, 01:32 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I had measles, mumps & chicken pox. They were considered fairly benign. These days if someone gets mumps it is often an older man, possibly traveling oversees, and he ends up sterile.

Apparently my sis found a loophole where she just had to sign a paper saying she was notified that shots were required, not that she had them done.

People can be SO dense about health sometimes. You know the ones who think you health is always a direct cqause of what you eat or drink. Like eat a ceratin food and get a certain symptom. "I ate the radished & now my ankles itch, therefore radishes make my ankles itch. It is known as:

"post hoc ergo prompter hoc" or the reasoning that just because one event followed a previous event the second was caused by the first. It is known as the great fallacy. But SO many people think that way...
Old April 15th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Admiral

Gosh Paul, I hope your sister comes to her senses and helps the kids by getting their immunizations. Doesn't she realize that by receiving the immunizations, then the disease stays in check and thus protects the innocents? That's how we were able to eradicate Polio and Smallpox. That's why we don't have the breakouts of Mumps, Whooping Cough. The kids will become sickly as they get older, maybe even after becoming adults.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.