Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 14th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Admiral

Default Anyone else for their Pre-cruise Shopping Extravaganza?

Okay, I did it today! Waited for the good sale to come along at my favorite store, hoarded my gift card that my wonderful stepson bought me, then headed out thru the rain after work, hubby in tow!!

I bought beautifully colored shirts, shorts, a beautiful skirt and blouse to match for those fancy nights, and I now have them hanging in my special "cruise" section in my closet ready to be packed away! NOW all I have to find is some Downey Wrinkle Release that the stores seem to be hiding from me! Figures when you find something good....

Anyway, we'll be off to Hawaii a week from Sunday...and thanks to everyone for all of your good suggestions about packing and stuff...my kids will be enjoying the house and taking care of our four-legged "children" while we are gone.....

Anyone else make special trip to the department stores for their pre-cruise shopping???

Happy cruising, all!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Admiral

I went shopping today, but all I got was a $1 pair of gardening gloves at the Dollar Store....

donna
Old April 15th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Admiral

There is nothing to make you feel exhilarated like a good shop! Especially when you are using someone elses money (giftcard!)
Old April 15th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Admiral

Jean, I've had a lot of fun being back here in WI this week, and shopping at Kohl's for some new clothes to wear on our cruise next week. Now I just have the job ahead of me of deciding what will go into the suitcase and what will stay home. That's the one part of cruising and traveling that I hate. Thanks for reminding me to add that wrinkle release stuff to my bags.

Phyll
Old April 15th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Admiral

Phyllbo, that is EXACTLY where I went shopping at: KOHLS! I lovvve that store, and it's so much fun shopping for a fun time to come! Let me know if you can find the Downy Wrinkle Release...I cannot find it ANYWHERE here, not even at Target...(haven't checked Walmart yet) luckily I found I still have an almost full bottle left, so that is a GOOD thing! I believe tho you can still order it online, but I would be curious to know if you can find it anywhere in your local stores.

As for what to put in, I've already started making up a list, and I think I will try the "roll" method of packing...it's going to be a 14 day cruise, and I REALLY don't want to have to do laundry onboard! Tried that once, and it was noooo fun! Better to save that for when we're back home!

Happy Cruising!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
Old April 16th, 2006, 05:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Jean, I use a wrinkle realeaser I buy at the Family Dollar Store it only costs $1.50 and works well. I had been hunting all the stores for the Downey and have not been able to locate it.

Laura
Old April 16th, 2006, 06:39 AM
Admiral

Hi Laura,

Thanks for the suggestion...I LOVE the dollar store!

Luckily I had some Downy left over...wonder why it's not in the stores lately....

Happy Cruising!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
Old April 16th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Happy Easter and Happy cruising to all... I found the wrinkle releaser at Walmart. Even had a nice travel size . We leave for Miami and the valor on Saturday next week. For a sunday cruise date. I have shopped out all I could. Yes i did get some good deals at kohls also. I am sure we will all be very fashionable on our cruises. Have a great day ALL!
Old April 16th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Captain

Ahhh, the pre-cruise shopping, wish I were going soon, too!

I like to shop Kohl's sale racks, I always find great things!

I've never tried the wrinkle release, thanks for that tip!

Enjoy your cruises! Bon Voyage!
Old April 16th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Admiral

Jean, I can relate!!! I love Kohls too but I seem to pick up a blouse or 2 while shopping at Costco or Sam's Club. Since 2 DS have moved out I took over their closets and I have a large wardrobe thing on wheels. I never realized how much I had until I went back to work last month and can't wear my usual t-shirt and jeans to work. I have 2 pairs of slacks in blue, black and brown that I have worn over and over but I haven't worn the same blouse yet in 6 weeks!! and I haven't even touched the "summer cruise clothes" or the ones that hang in the closet waiting for me to "lose a couple"!! !!! I also use DWR and found it at our local Target last year.

Have a wonderful cruise!!!

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old April 16th, 2006, 01:19 PM
First Mate

Default Anyone elsr for their Pre-cruise shopping extravaganza?

JeanS

Appears everyone that has answered your post has been female.

Well, I am male and our FIRST crrise will be Hawaii in June on the POA.

I have been gleening everything I can for things to take that we wouldn't have thought of. Have started a "stockpile". I want to thank EVERYONE - VERY MUCH for the info. about what to take, different "ways" to pack,etc.

We are so looking forward to our first cruise We shouldn't have any problems if we go by everyone's great info.

Happy Easter to those who participate and God Bless.

Thanks again, crabbie1
Old April 16th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default SHOP TILL YOU DROP!

Hi Jean,
We leave for our first cruise 4 weeks from yesterday...I am so excited!
Speaking of shopping...went with my sister a couple of nights ago and she bought 2 tops for me and I bought one...I am getting sooooo excited about our trip...can't believe we're going...and reading all these posts just keeps us at a fevered pitch! !
Old April 16th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Admiral

Default Anyone Else for Their Pre-Cruise Shopping Extravaganza?

Sounds fun, Jean! Unfortunately, my cruise shopping jag will have to wait til October and November. Some of my evening clothes are really old.

BTW, thanks for the tip on the Downy Wrinkle Release.

Judy
Old April 16th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Admiral

Thanks everyone for your responses. And yes, it is SO exciting (for men AND women!) to do some pre-cruise shopping and preparing!

Hope everyone has a lovely Easter and enjoys their cruises to the fullest!

And Judy, I can relate a story to you about evening clothes, I know this one friend who cruises perhaps once a year. Doesn't wear a lot of formal clothing so she takes the same outfit when they cruise to wear on formal night, which is FINE until you look at all of those pictures and see her in the same dress year after year! Something you just don't think about at the time, I guess! haha

Hope you have a wonderful time on your first cruise, Merry! Just remember to be flexible and enjoy yourself, whether you will be active or just kicking back and relaxing...

And Crabbie1, you will be changing your name after your first cruise! I'm also going to try some different packing methods too...2 weeks is a long time on a cruise, and I'm going to try to AVOID having to do wash on board, so I think I will try the "roll" method. I also make a list of what to take...certainly don't want to have to buy anything I don't need to on board. Would much rather spend that a yummy pina colada!

Happy cruising, all!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
Old April 16th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Passenger

Default rolling clothes

when i cruised back in january i chose to use the roll method with my packing. i had researched several sites on packing for traveling and tried a couple different ways to pack. however couldnt seem to get as much in and also had the wrinkling issue. so i practiced a couple times til i had it down right and then proceeded with rolling my clothing. and mind u there were some very expensive clothes in there.but after getting in a cabin and unpacking not one thing was wrinkled.albiet, i didnt wear half of what i packed( i always, always overpack). i know better than to overpack but i jus cant help myself. i jus always always want to be prepared.
needless to say after 3 and going on my forth in june i have learned a lesson. i am taking 2 suitcases and a carryon. however packing almost everything in one of the suitcases i will have almost another near empty one to bring my extras back in. i never really intend to shop alot but well u know how us women are ! counting down til june !
Old April 16th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Captain

I'm back! I've cruised alot but last year for my B2B on the Sea Princess (21 days) was the first time I used the large zip lock bags and rolled alot of stuff! It worked great!

On turn around day, I did do one load of laundry, only because it was warmer than I expected and I needed to wash my light weight clothes. France and Spain were actually hot and I only brought 2 pairs of capris and 2 short sleeve blouses.

I had to pack for lots of different weather, I brought my big pullman plus my rolling garment bag. I was amazed at how well rolling works. I even rolled my jacket/zip in liner, too, put them in a space bag, needed them for Iceland/Greenland. I wouldn't buy space bags, now that I found the big zip lock bags, but the space bag was handy for the jacket.

Reading, writing back and forth on the boards is wonderful and helpful, to girls and boys alike!!! :-)

Once again, enjoy your cruises everyone!