Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 23rd, 2006, 09:09 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default One VERY loud alarm clock

It's 3AM, and with eyelids fluttering, I'm in a deep relaxed sleep. Suddenly I'm wakened by a loud noise. I assumed it was one of those times a previous hotel guest had set the alarm clock, and I clamored in the dark to find the off switch, swearing at the room's previous occupant.

Mrs. Kuki had obviously been awakened as well so I turned on the light, and as I gained consciousness I realized it wasn't the alarm clock, but the hotel's fire alarm system.

So, there we were on 19th floor of the InterContintenal Hotel, with a window that doesn't open, and the fire alarm screaming.

An announcement came through the building that an alarm had been reported, and not to panic YET, as it was being investigated. Mrs. Kuki and I got dressed, and gathered up a few belongings, preparing for an evacuation.
We looked out the window to the front of the building, and saw a few people gathering outside, but no police, fire, or other emergency vehicles coming.

I looked in the hall a couple of time, and I couldn't smell any smoke, so I went back into the room and had one (a smoke).

After about 20 minutes a voice came through the alarm system again, with no explanation, but saying " guests may resume normal activities".
"Normal activities"???
What the heck did they think I was doing at 3 AM, playing charades, studying braille ?
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2006, 10:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

KUKI, We had the same thing happen to us a few years ago in a hotel in San Diego. Scared the **** out of everyone. Hope you all were able ot get back to sleep.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Default One Very Loud Alarm Clock

That happened to us, too, in NCY at the Waldorf Astoria, of all places!

Judy
Old April 23rd, 2006, 11:50 AM
Admiral

Kuki you crack me up. Thankfully it was just an alarm!
Old April 23rd, 2006, 12:11 PM
Admiral

It happened to us too--- except I was the one who smelled smoke----and called the front desk-----they said they'd check into it ?? I did get a thank you call--seemed that it was smoke -- coming up through the vents from the resturants kitchen---- some small fire on the grill------ ? I would have hate to have seen what would have happened if it really was a fire---- mostly because checking out the next morning just trying to get downstairs on a crusie day----- took forever------cant remember what floor we were on--- or hotel-- it was in the Tampa airport-------

Cheers
April
Old April 23rd, 2006, 02:09 PM
Yeoman

Default One very loud alarm clock

Kuki, that is scary especially at 3 A.M. We were in the Hyatt a few years ago on our way to Hawaii. This was at LAX and I awoke to the bed moving like a glider, back and forth. The digital clock read 3:15 and somehow I knew it was a earthquake and dh never woke up. I guess because the movement was so gentle, I just went back to sleep. In the morning, dh said I was imagining it until he turned on the t.v. We just wanted to get on our flight and leave.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07