Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 25th, 2006, 03:51 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to ms_Kalamity
Default Do Not Call Registry

Ok so here is my beef. I need to vent.

I signed up with the Do Not Call Registry, when it first came out that you could sign up. I included my cell phone number for the registry. Today, I got my first ever advertising text message wanting to sell something. I of course filed a complaint with the National Do Not Call Registry service, and I got ahold of my cell phone provider and filed a complaint there too, and to take the charge of the text message off my bill, since I pay per text message.

So now I am wondering if these FOOLS are resorting to useing the internet, to send text messages to our phones. Is this a loophole in the law to where they can get away with this? Just because they are sending via the internet.

Have any of you had this issue yet yourselves? If not I would suggest you sign up for the registry, so that you can file a complaint also if it happens.

Thanks for listening
Jane

Independance of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas, October, 2007
Serenade of the Seas June, 2006
Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2006, 04:05 PM
First Mate

I thought there was a judge in Oklahoma that blocked the list from going through. We only have cell phones and really haven't had a promblem with solication calls.
Old April 25th, 2006, 04:18 PM
First Mate

Actually the list has been active for quite some time. I just heard from my husband that he just got an advertisement text message too. So I will be fileing another complaint with the registry and the cell phone carrier when he gets home from work.

Independance of the Seas
Old April 25th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

Very few people have our cell number. Our home phone is on the DNC list and we never get calls. So it works for us.
We do not subscribe to text message.
Old April 25th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

There were a few hoax emails floating around the web asking people to go to a website and sign up for the "Do Not Call List" for regular and cell phones. It was actually a fraud that put you on a call list for solicitors. They were able to pull in thousands of numbers.

I worked for a major catalog retailer(legitimate) and learned that there are many unscrupulous, hit and run, solicitors that actually use the list to get numbers. They get the list, make the calls and have closed up shop long before any law enforcement can be done. The sad part is that people still buy from them even though they are on the list. They usually disguise themselves as a charity. (Charitable and political organizations are exempt)

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 25th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I signed up for the DNC list very early on, and since then, have not received a single call from a company I don't do business with. I registered my home and cell number.

I guess I was one of the lucky ones that it worked for.

Jodi
Old April 25th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

I also signed up quite awhile ago but, the other night I got a 1-866- call and when I said hello s female computer voice said "We are sorry to have disturbed you, this call was intended to only be answered by an answering machine. Thank you goodbye" What the heck was that??!!!

Jane
Old April 25th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Admiral

LMAO!
Thanks for the laugh Jane.

Maybe the calling computer was feeling lonely and trying to find another computer (answer machine) to talk to? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggroomer
I also signed up quite awhile ago but, the other night I got a 1-866- call and when I said hello s female computer voice said "We are sorry to have disturbed you, this call was intended to only be answered by an answering machine. Thank you goodbye" What the heck was that??!!!

Jane

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old April 25th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Lombard

Never thought of it that way

Jane
Old April 26th, 2006, 05:02 AM
First Mate

Did you know that you can look up a phone number to see who it belongs to (unless it is "Unlisted") by entering the number in your search engine?

Enter the number as follows: (XXX) XXX XXXX obviously changing the X's for the actual numbers of course. Try it!

As for entering my phone numbers into the DNC site, yes it was the legitimate .gov site. And I haven't had a problem all this time until now.

Jane

Independance of the Seas
Old April 26th, 2006, 06:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I have my home and cell numbers on the DNC list. It works well. I find the phone company (Verizon) is the worst offender. Just because I have a phone through them they think that gives them permission to ignore the do not call list. The last time they called I reported them. I have not had a call since. Time to get a new phone carrier. I also get calls from dating companies since I recently signed up for one. After finally reporting them the calls stopped. I do not use my text messages at all so I have not been bothered by that at all. The DNC works. Report offenders and the offenses stop.

Laura
Old April 26th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Captain

Default Do Not Call List

I registered our home phone and cell phones on the Do Not Call Registry some time ago. All the nusiance calls stopped EXCEPT a call from a time share telemarketer. Each time I get the call, which happens about once a month, I ask for the company name and the number from which they are calling. When they ask why I want this information, I tell them I am on the registry, and want to report them. They usually say something like "Oh, that bill never became law. We will put you on our own do not call list".

It's got to be the same company using different names, because the answer is usually the same.
Old April 26th, 2006, 07:41 AM
First Mate

Actually, Legally the only ones who are allowed to call, and get away with not abiding by the DNC list, are those who conduct surveys only(not sales), charitable organizations, and I believe, companies that you have agreed to do business with. There might be one more exception but I would have to look it up to be sure.

Independance of the Seas