Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

View Poll Results: How did you pick your first ship/cruiseline?
Advertising on Television? 6 5.88%
Magazine Ads with descriptive information? 6 5.88%
Advice from Friends? 37 36.27%
Advice from a Travel Agent? 28 27.45%
Information found Online in Travel Booking Site 19 18.63%
Information in Message Boards 6 5.88%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

First cruise was when I was 21 and just earned my first "real"paycheck I wanted a real ship so the lure of sea days and a Transatlantic crossing on the QE2 got my vote. I didn't enjoy the ship or the cruise that much. Two years latter I went on a couple of Carnivals ships and had lots of fun. I then graduated to Royal Caribbean and did a yearly cruise on them starting in 1972 throughout the 1970's.
I have sailed many lines and ships to different locations since.
My all time favorite cruise line was Sitmar. Now days Celebrity gets most of my business.
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Admiral

My first ship was a transatlantic crossing from New York to Southampton aboard the Aurelia. I was in college and it was chartered by the UN to take students to Europe. The ship was an ex-Italian WW 2 gunboat with no stabilizers and it took us 9 days to reach England. I spent the first three days vomiting from seasickness. There were four bunk beds in a cabin, the bath and shower down the hall.

IT WAS AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!
www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:07 PM
Admiral

Gosh, after reading Anne's story I don't feel so bad about the events around my first cruise. It was 1978 and I was 47 years young. Although I had never cruised, I had been around ships and planes since 1956 (I was with U. S. Customs). I had simply never thought much about cruising myself.

Anyway, some of my employees had bugged me about taking the plunge. So without any real preparation of any kind (this was pre-CruiseMates obviously) I booked a 7-day cruise to the Caribbean on the Cunard Princess out of Port Everglades. Itinerary was San Juan, St. Thomas, someplace in the Dominican Republic and Nassau.

Mind you, the Cunard Princess was at the time "the newest cruise ship in the world". At least, that's what Cunard said. Things started going wrong in San Juan, where the ship stayed an extra day while one of the engines was repaired. We then stopped in St. Thomas, where the passengers learned that there would be some deviations in the remainder of the itinerary. We wouldn't be going to either the D.R. or the Bahamas.

It seems the lady was experiencing more problems with her engine, so the next two stops were Tortola and St. Croix. Nobody knew what was going on by this time, and it grew more stunning as we arrived in St. Croix to learn that all passengers would be leaving the ship there and would be flying back to Miami (not Fort Lauderdale) on American Airlines charters. The ship would then return, devoid of passengers, to the shipyard in San Juan.

Well, you should have heard some of the passengers letting the skipper know how they felt about the ship and Cunard in general. One old man was complaining that he had driven all the way from Michigan to Port Everglades since we was deathly afraid of flying. And now he was being forced to fly in spite of his fears. I thought the old fellow was going to croak on the spot!

So that was my first cruise, and is it any wonder that my next one was about 17 years later? But now here I am booked on my 18th & 19th, with no end in sight short of my own (unscheduled) demise.

Jack
Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:25 AM
First Mate

I couldn't vote because my choice was not there. My SIL kept bugging us to go on a cruise with them. Finally, I said, make me an offer I can't refuse. She found a really super deal on a 7-nighter that, well, I couldn't refuse. We have been cruisin' ever since.

Robin

Costa Atlantica 3/2004
Brilliance 2/2005
Brilliance 2/2006
Brilliance 2/2007
Explorer 2/2008
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Familiar Face

My DW's cousin was taking a cruise for her 50th birthday and asked if we were interested. I'm the type that will try anything once, so we figured what the heck, and joined in. We let her TA handle everything and the next thing I know I'm on a plane to San Juan. The memory of the van pulling into the pier and staring at the Celebrity Constellation is burned into my mind forever!
Caribbean Princess....Jan. 2007
Crown Princess.........Jan. 2008
Caribbean Princess....May 2008
Emerald Princess.......Jan. 2009
Emerald Princess.......Jan. 2010
Emerald Princess.......Jan. 2011
Old June 13th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Admiral

I too didn't "pick" my first cruise, I was dragged almost reluctantly by my DH (who I'd just met) 12 years ago. First, I thought I was "not worthy" of a cruise, that cruises were too "hoighty toity" for this destitute single mom, but he insisted I'd be fine. Then I was deathly afraid of being seasick the entire time (I don't do well with motion sickness on any mode of travel) and I didn't want to ruin his vacation. In the end, he convinced me, booked us on RCCL's Nordic Empress for 4 days to the Bahamas, and well, I was hooked! I didn't get sick (still haven't 8 cruises later!), I fit right in, even if my clothes were not the latest fashion, and when it was over, I told him "If we ever do this again, it's GOT to be more than 4 days!" 6 years later, we booked a 7 day on HAL's Maasdam for our honeymoon!

Now, we do alot of research before booking, starting with brochures, then using the internet (we didn't have it back then). Price, dates, and itinerary are all considerations in making our decision what to book.

donna
Old June 14th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Dancyalien
Default No Choice

When I graduated college, I wanted to treat myself to a cruise. It was the first time my boyfriend was going on a cruise and my second. (Although, the first one doesnt count because I had no choice, I was young and went with my parents).

Anyway, I was only 20 and my boyfriend was 24 so the only cruiseline I could go on was NCL. We went on the Dawn since it left out of NY our home state. We ended up getting engaged on that ship and its been our best cruise yet.

Carnival Inspiration, Sept 2009
NCL Sky, June 2009
NCL Sky, Nov 2008
Disney Wonder, April 2008
NCL Spirit, Sept 2006
NCL Pride of Aloha, March 2006
NCL Dawn, June 2004
Carnival Sensation, July 1998
Old June 15th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Admiral

We decided to take our first cruise when our younger daughter, Leslie, was a senior in college. We know, back in 1998, that our financial responsibilities to our children would be over with so we decided that it
was "our time" to do something that we had always wanted to do. Yes, The Love Boat, had sparked our interest in cruising and friends of ours had loved sailing on Royal Caribbean. We decided to do our first cruise to the southern caribbean because we were interested in seeing Aruba and Cuaracao. As it turned out we met a couple on the ship who's daughter had gone to college with our daughter!
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Beginner

We wanted to do something special as a family before my oldest son went off to college. Friends of ours had always raved about their cruise vacations, especailly their Disney cruises. So, we booked a Disney cruise and had a wonderful time. A couple years later we decided to go again, taking our parents along. My father-in-law was in WWII in the navy and, at 81 years old, my husband wanted to get him back on the ocean. My father had recently passed away, who was very afraid of water, so we invited my mother, too, who had always wanted to travel. Having been so pleased with Disney, we decided to take them on that same cruise and, of course, they loved it. By winter, the three of them were asking where we were going this summer. Alaska it is - we go next month, but this time we are going to try Celebrity. My mother-in-law loves to gamble. My oldest just graduated from college and my youngest is having his 19th birthday on the cruise, so we have lots to celebrate. Also, my brother and his wife will be joining us for this one. Can't wait!
Old June 18th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Admiral

My first cruise was in 1986. I had always love the sea,
I wasn't able to afford a cruise up until then. I put it on
my credit card and sailed on the mardi gras 4 days out of florida.
I have done 11 cruises since, My 12th cruise is in the fall
westerdam nov 12.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 01:46 PM
Captain

My husband and I retired from teaching two years ago. He and a neighbor had talked about the four of us getting together to go on a cruise. My husband and my neighbor both bid on Sky Auction. We won the bid for a 7 day cruise. Our neighbor won a bid for a 5 day cruise. Both cruises were out of Galveston at about the same time. We went on our cruise. They went on theirs. Both our ships were docked in Cozumel on the same day, so we spent the day together eating, shopping, and sight-seeing in Cozumel.

My husband had to convince me to go on the cruise, and I am so glad he did. It is the most relaxing, enjoyable vacation possible!! (As you all know!)

We've now been on 8 cruises and have 4 more booked. (I guess we are trying to make up for all those years we didn't cruise!!)
Old June 23rd, 2006, 11:44 PM
Passenger

I haven't even gone on my first cruise yet but it is booked and I am rearing to go! I had been interested in taking a cruise but since we are so far from all the ports and didn't want to endure flying to a strange city, finding a place to stay overnight and then getting to the ship I just didn't figure we would ever get to go. Then one morning our clock radio woke us up with the announcer saying there was a trip from our home town to the ship and all we had to do was call the "800" number. I couldn't resist and dh made the call and we were included. I didn't do any shopping around and didn't even know about this site or any of the information that is on the internet but have been busy checking it all out since then. As it turns out we will be at sea on dh's 70th birthday -quite a present and one that I am sure he will remember forever no matter how it turns out! Our dd had booked a cruise in September from Jacksonville but she lives in Alabama so that coast is close to her. She tried to get us to go on that cruise but I said there was no way that we would do that so she was really shocked when I told her we are leaving from Galveston in December for our cruise!
Old July 9th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Disney sent my kids a video of the Magic and after watching that we decided to give it a try.
Old July 12th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Default We we\\

POOR DUMB LUCK TOO!! For our 30th wedding anniversary we with the help of a TA picked a Dolphin cruise.. I don't remember if it was the Sea or Ocean Breeze.. I do know that I think our first ship...we got a call from the TA that the "ship was taken out of the water".. a few days before saiing.. and they were putting us on a brand new ship.. The NCL Seaward...It was elegant, french service, etc. etc. I thought we died and went to heaven.. For our 50th wedding anniversary last year we cruised on Celebrity Century from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale...and spent Oct. 16th.. the date of our anniversary traveling Tuscany... September 10th will be my husbands 76th birthday.. and we will be at sea...heading towards our beloved Bermuda for the eleventh time.. Next year....Europe and Africa...lol.. another trans-atlantic
Old July 12th, 2006, 04:08 PM
First Mate

It was 1993....We picked our first cruise through a advertisement in a "Bride" magazine. We were planning to get married, decided to skip the whole formality of a fancy wedding ...just go to the court house and put our money instead into our "Honeymoon". The TA we contacted hooked us up with a sweet deal island hopping on the Dolphin Ocean breeze. Well....we got married and THEN told our parents what had happened. My mom was P.O.'D :evil: she demanded a formal wedding!
I gave in and 5 months after our court house wedding, we had the formal thing...then a few weeks later we still managed to take that cruise!
NCL JEWEL 4/9/2006
DISNEY WONDER 6/15/06
NCL SUN 1/23/07 (girls trip!)
NCL PEARL 3/30/07
RCCI MAJESTY OF THE SEAS 8/27/07
NCL Sky 8/31/09 (Mom's Bday Cruise)
Disney Magic 10/17/09 with the baby!!
Next Cruise...NCL Dawn 6/6/10 NYC to Bermuda ;-)
Old July 14th, 2006, 02:00 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

My first cruise was in 1991. Long before I had even heard of the internet, etc. A coworker had gotten married and was having her honeymoon on the Carnival Fantasy....a 4 night Bahamas cruise. It sounded so wonderful that without much research on my part I booked a 3 day Fantasy cruise in AUGUST! Now, I really hate heat and humidity combined. I hated the weather on that cruise. I also did a single share and had the worst roommate ever. Oh well, I hated almost the whole thing EXCEPT the feeling of being on the ocean. 8 years later (1999) I gave cruising a second try - this time in May to Alaska on the Sea Princess (after talking with a cruise only TA who was so knowledgeable and kind) and I fell in love with cruising. Everything that my first cruise wasn't, this one was! Now 14 cruises later I am going strong!
Old July 14th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Admiral

How did we pick our first cruise??? Well.....this was in 1995.....we had some friends that had done a Carnaval cruise the year before........they wanted us to go on one with them......so we went to a friend that was a TA & asked her where we should go.......our friends wanted to do a 3 day.....our TA said she could get us a great price on a 7 day.......we paid for a inside & got a outside room on Imagination......did the Western...had to drag hubby kicking & screaming.........by the second day he was looking to book another one........so he was hooked......

Sharon
Old July 15th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Passenger

We wanted to do something special for our 10th anniversary. Since we have been to Hawaii a few times, that did not seem "worthy". We then decided to go to Europe somewhere. Yes we are pretty free spirited and like to be open minded when it comes to going somewhere.

Anyway, we went to a travel agent and asked what coutries we were interested in. Our top picks were Italy and Greece. She said crusing would be a great way to get an overview of several cities.

She gave us a NCL brochure to look over. We chose NCL Jewel for a 7 day cruise with stops in Italy and France, without looking at other lines. Also we were able to get an awesome rate.

We had a blast! It was more fun than we ever thought possible. We were worried about the rocking of the boat and being bored. The Jewel was very stable and it was hard to tell we were moving. Except for one night that was a little rocky. We were on Deck 9 and if felt like being rocked to sleep. No chance of getting bored since there were lots of activities and a big ship to explore.

We are thinking about when we can go again.
Old July 17th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Passenger

I have not had a vacation in 10 years. I have wanted to go on a cruse but never could. I would like to take a cruse over Xmas/New Years holidays but I don't know which would be best for someone who will be single for the first time in 30 years. I am not even sure what being single will be like? How do you date? Can a 55 year old meet women? Are there women dating at my age? Will I be alone the whole time? Am I just wasting my money?

Does anybody know who scarry this is? Or am I just being a whimp?
Old July 17th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Passenger

I am a 55 and ending a marriage of over 30 years. I haven't taken any vacations in over 10 years. I want to take a cruse over he Xmas/New Year holidays. This will be my first cruse ever. Do you wnat me to keep a diary?
Old August 1st, 2006, 03:09 AM
Passenger

Default Re: - How did you pick your first cruise?

Every year the group of Paramedics I work with try to get together around Sept for a weekend of much needed R&R, In the past we had gone to New Orleans for several years. Wanting to do something different in 2003 I looked into a cruise for us.
36 of us went on Carnival's Jubilee out of Galveston and had a blast.
I have been hooked every since.
My husband and I just returned from our 4th.
Old August 1st, 2006, 08:49 AM
Passenger

Oh good there will be paramedics on board. That's comforting.

I am work out nut. I hit the gym 3 to 5 days a week. I enjoy bikes, white water canoeing, hiking, and exploring.

I am looking into the Kayak excursion.

One of my requirement was the ship had to have a gym where I can work out. I don't feel right unless I put in an hour in the gym. I normally average about 1.5 to 2 hours. Depending what I have planned.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 07:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

I wasn't real sure whether to put Advice from a Friend or Travel Agent. Our friend, who is a cruise specialist had a fly/cruise package with an offer too good to refuse. We had been hoping for the opportunity to vacation in Alaska and this gave us the whole package. Not only that, we got to cruise on the Regal Princess in '92 when she was (fairly?) new.

Shar
Old August 3rd, 2006, 08:46 AM
Passenger

SharB

After reading the reports and the comments from everyone else I came to the conclusion that I had nothig to loose. So I am booked on the Carnival Liberty leaving on Dec 31.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 10:03 PM
First Mate

we were booked at WDW for a week in 12/01 for a special anniversary. We received a call in 11/01 saying that the hotel we'd booked was temporarily being closed (due to downturn after 9/11). The CS rep was quite rude and so I canceled the reservation on the spot. We were then left with airfare to FL and a week off from work with nowhere to go. The very next day I received an email from an online TA about a HAL cruise, the same week we'd planned our vacation, at a price that was a fraction of what the trip to WDW would have cost. I spent $50/ea to change our airline tickets from Orlando to FLL, and the rest is history!
Old August 13th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Admiral

My BF and I will be going on our first cruise in November. I spent several months researching cruises online. Ports to sail from (didn't want to fly someplace, so they had to be driving distance) Places I thought would be interesting to visit, and of course prices. I had stacks of papers at my desk. BF was no help, whatever I wanted was fine. He had no preference. I would sit for hours at the computer going crazy with all of it. Finially decided where to leave from (Port Canaveral) where to go (Bahama's) how many nights (5) and cruise schedules. I still work and have to plan around things at work, so my time was limited as to when I could be gone. (He's retired military) After months of tearing my hair out I picked the Thanksgiving week cruise from Port Canaveral aboard the Elation. I'm looking forward to it. Most of our vacations are in the M/H camping someplace. Which is great. I was just ready for something different. Maybe this will be the first of many. I'm ready!!

Carnival legend November 2009
Carnival Glory October 2007
Carnival Elation November 2006
Old August 16th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Nothing really applied for me either - Roller Donna - mine was on the Nordic Empress too!! It was in 1990 for our first anniversary/honeymoon. We met deep sea fishing and loved the water and boats so hubby thought lets go on a big boat! I had always loved Love Boat so we went to find a travel agent on a Saturday. Now we were only 20 and 29 and were dressed in shorts and tshirts and cruising wasn't as cheap as it is now. SO no travel agents would help us thinking we didnt' have enough money - one lady did though and was real nice and she suggested the Nordic Empress to the Bahamas and we went with it. I remember looking in the back of the catelog at the 7 night cruises going - I wish... So much Money! Now the $1800 I spent on a 4 nighter outside cabin with air to Miami would get me so much more.. This one coming up will be our 20th cruise. I still remember (now there was no internet at the time so there were no pictures or info to look up) how everyone on the bus got so silent you could hear a pin drop when we looked at the ship - it seemed so incredible!!! Debbie
Old August 18th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Beginner

My wife and I just celebrated our 30th anniversary in May. We were looking for something different to do, a friend of hers suggested a cruise. There is a brand new ship starting in June, The Crown Princess. We have been to a resort in Pennsylvania named Woodloch Pines, that is described as a cruise on land, constant activities, tons of food and always a great time, so we said let's try a cruise on water . I can't tell you how it was because we don't go until Sept 3. I'll let you know when I get back Kevin
Old August 23rd, 2006, 04:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

My wife went on a 3 day Bahamas cruise about 9 months before we first met. She just loved it and talked about it a lot while we dated. After we married, she attempted to get me on a cruise ship for years. Everytime I was close to booking, news of a norwalk virus outbreak, or some other dreadful event caused me to say no way!

In June 2003, we were invited on a family reunion cruise to celebrate the 50th wedding anniversary of the parents of close friends. We couldn't say no to that! October 8, 2004 found me onboard Voyager Of The Seas out of Bayonne, NJ for a 9 night cruise. It was by far one of the best vacations I've ever had! Now I'm hooked on cruising and looking forward to Adventure Of The Seas in just over 100 days!

Jeff
Old August 23rd, 2006, 04:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to roheme

Goog evening from France.
I'd always cruised with my girlfriend : the first was in 2004 (I was 16) on the Queen Mary II maiden, with the grandmother of my girlfriend.
We were from Southampton to Fort Lauderdale, and it was the second time I sailed, because I'd gone on Corsica from Marseille on the Napoleon board (the principal liner of the SCNM Company in France), and I had never gone in USA before ...
It's important for me, and more for my girlfriend, because her grand-grandparents (I don't know how to say !) was on the Titanic maiden ... from Southampton, but destined to NYC.
In my mind, it looks like the QM II it's the third Titanic, and my girlfriend is wonderfuled every time in front of this greatest ship ...

Sorry for my English cruisers, very bad I know ...