Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 4th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Beginner

Default Corking fee

Can you bring your own bottles of wine onboard, and do they charge a corking fee? If so, how much?
Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Admiral

If you have them to cork it, yes, they do charge you to perform this service.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 4th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Beginner

Default Corking fee

So, does that mean you can bring your own bottles of wine onboard, and do you know what the corking fee typically is?
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Admiral

on most major lines you are allowed to bring aboard a couple of bottles of wine or champagne. If you plan on drinking your wine with dinner, be prepared to pay the corkage fee- usually runs around $10 per bottle. If you want to drink your wine in your cabin, and you request your cabin steward to bring you a corkscrew,& wine glassess you may or may not have to pay the corkage fee, it depends upon your cabin steward.
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Admiral

I am not a big wine drinker. Give me a bottle of wild duck or boones farms and I am happy 8) I, however, have heard many people on here talk about this and here is what I have learned. You are taking your own wine. It is probably not the cheap brand. If it is expensive, then you are not gaining anything by taking your own. This is why. All wline needs to be stored where it will not be shaken or disturbed. (am I right so far?) So, just buy a cheaper brand on board to be served with your meal or at your cabin. Save your good wine for another special occasion when it will not be shaken. I hope this is correct. If it is not, then I am sure someone will set me on the right path and therefore you will get your correct answer. I am through typing now. 8)

P.S. I really did try.
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:55 PM
First Mate

The cruiseline does a good job of properly storing and chilling your wine. Bring the good stuff, this is a celebration. I would bet that at least 95% of us would not know if it has been "shaken" or not. You are gaining the 15% gratutity they charge for their wine.
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Celebrity cruise line charges $15 corkage fee at the table. Not sure about the other lines.

Old May 4th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Administrator
Admiral

You can bring a "limited" amount of wine onboard for your own consumption. Three or four bottles is OK. If you have it opened in a public area: I.E. Dining room or public lounge, there will be a corkage fee of $10 to $15 charged to your shipboard account. The fee varies depending on the cruise line.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 5th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

We have brought our favorite wines on board several times.
Just pack in your checked bags, wrap it in bubble wrap and use a double baggie, strong 2 gallon zip lock bag. I bring our own corkscrew, and ask the steward for a large ice bucket or use the refrigator in your room. The fridge usually has small bottles of wine, beer, soda,etc. the cost is not much compared to the loss if security catches you.
We do not take it to the dining room, only enjoy a glass on the balcony before dinner.
Carole 8)