Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Admiral

Default Your Best Cruise?

When you look back over all the ships you've sailed on, which were your best cruises? And, why was it your best cruise? Ok, your least favorite cruises?

Here are my best:

Hanseatic in Antarctica
Star Clippers in Greece
Transatlantic on Queen Mary 2
Every cruise on Oceania Cruises
Windstar in Greece
Royal Viking Sun in the Baltic

Worst: A ten-day Yangtze riverboat cruise in China. Aside from the back that you can't breathe (pollution) and can't eat (dreadful food), it was boring. If I'd taken a three- or four-night Yangtze river cruise, I wouldn't have hated it as much.
www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

One of the best I think, was on the Golden Princess, a Cruisemates cruise.
The ship was so not my favorite, but meeting, by the pool for gossip,and chat, the dining with new pals, and just experiencing a cruise with a bunch of nice people made it the best....

The worst ship, yet, a good time still, was on that scow, the Tropicale...SO many things made this ship and crew the worst, it amazes me still, and this cruise was in 94 I think....and the hsip was dirty to boot..But the fact we went to amazing places, made it bearable.....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 8th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Worst Cruise - Celebrity Meridian - Boston to Bermuda. the ship was ancient. the atmosphere aboard was snooty and felt too formal to me. The food was great, that was the only good thing about it.

Best Cruise Carnival Festivale. It was my first cruise and made me fall in love with cruising. The ship was old but back then I did not know the difference.

Laura
Old May 8th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

The best cruise was Carnival Inspiration. The staff was fabulous and made sure everyone was having a great time. So far, I haven't had a worst cruise.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old May 8th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Default Best Cruise

Sun Princess last Oct. ,10 days long, all ports never been to, meet some very nice people very relaxing.

Haven't had a bad cruise yet!

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old May 8th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

My best cruise was a transatlantic one on the Crystal HarmonyƩ.
My worst was on Carnival Celebretion
Old May 8th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Admiral

My favorite cruise is the last and only 2 I have been on. I did not have a bad time on either one. I think I need about.....maybe.....20 or 30 more before I can make a judgement call.
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Captain

Default Best Cruise/Worst Cruise

Best: A tie between one of our three cruises on the Norway, and our first transatlantic cruise (on the Brilliance OTS).

Worst: Costa. Horrible people (fat, loud, obnoxious), horrible food (everything soaked in oil), smokers (it seemed we were the only two non-smokers on the ship). Wouldn't cruise Costa again if it were free. :evil:
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

My favorite was the NCL Dawn April 2005 rogue wave adventure. We got an extra day plus few days of open bar plus credit back and credit towards future cruise and some other goodies. We enjoyed the ride and also watching the dolphins, flying fish, and the water spouts (tornados) on the Atlantic. It was truly a pleasant adventure.
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Admiral

Our best was probably the Carnival Celebration (the people at our table, and aboard the ship made this cruise great.
Our worst was the Carnival Festival. It was a full ship,,,our shower had sewage backing up in the drain, so we stuffed towells into it to stop the smell and disgusting mess,because they would only put disinfectant into the drain. They had no place to move us, so we got 100% refund for the cruise.
Ken
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Captain

best one was my last cruise it was my mom frist we had the best time together we meet some nice people the staff was friendly and helpful
we have already booked our next cruise
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Admiral

I haven't had a best cruise or a worst cruise yet. The four that I have been on have been very nice though. They have all had certain things that I loved and things I disliked.
But honestly not one of them stands out as the best. Some I booked for the itinerary, and some for the ship itself, but none disappointed.
They all had something wonderful to offer.

I loved NCL Spirit for the unique asian decor of the ship, bucanneer bay, lots of food choices, we ate in a different place every night, and the best kids facilities I've ever seen.

RCL Enchantment (post stretch) had the best pool area. decent food and service.

Carnival Liberty great kids facilities, great eastern itinerary. Loved Harry's.

Carnival Sensation (prior to deployment for Hurricane support) Great service, good food, nice kids pool, good kids club,
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:15 AM
Admiral

Funny how one post here can say the Celebration was their worst and another says the Celebration was their best! They are all good..

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Admiral

Hi MeHawk; You are absolutely right, and I had to laugh to myself when I wrote that the Celebration was our best. (Out of 100 or so, that's saying something!) But,,,as I stated,,,very often a cruise is made, or broken by the people who are on the cruise with you. We happen to have a great bunch of people on that particular cruise, which made it truly memorable. We've sailed the Celebration, probably 5 or 6 times, and the other cruises aboard her were O.K., but that one cruise was absolutely the best.
See you aboard.
Ken
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Admiral

so far the cruise that stands out above the others would be Royal Princess trans-canal cruise. The ports were fabulous and interesting, the ship- well her name says it all.
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Captain

Wow, what a difficult question. How about something easier like mid-east peace or nuclear disarmament?

Favorite was our first cruise on Commodore's Enchanted Isle. Yes, it was an older ship but the staff, Brennan's menu food, and sailing companions made it fabulous!

For ports of call and over all memorable-ness it would be NCL Dream - Baltic Capitals. St. Petersburg was something I'll never forget. Also great sailing partners who gathered each evening for sail away in the Observation louge. Had a fabulous bartender who made the best cosmopolitans.

Worst cruise? The ones that sail without me!
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Passenger

As I've only sailed twice this is relatively easy as both were great and I have some very fond memories of both:

The "old" Noordam's farewell Transatlantic "Big Band" cruise with Guy Lombardo and His Royal Canadians (Unfortunately Guy had a 'prior engagement' and couldn't be there ). A fascinating series of guest lecturers, Dutch language lessons taught by the Cruise Director, wine-tastings hosted by the Second Officer, excursions in the Azores.

The Ryndam I'll remember most fondly for four wonderful dinner companions, Lithuanians by birth, one couple still living there while the other, a doctor and his wife, were naturalized citizens now living in Iowa. And doing the "canopy" Tarzan-thing at age 67, surprising myself and the guides that I survived in-tact.

If either of these cruises had been downers I'm not sure if I would have booked another. Now I think if I have one disappointing cruise I won't be deterred.

Ed

Ryndam, Baja / Mexico March 2005
"Old" Noordam, Transatlantic-Eastbound, April 2004
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

Best is by far Hawaii on the Carnival Spirit last September, following closely behind that is the Sensation this past March. Yes, the one that was delayed and ship in bad shape, but I met the best people and two of them became very close friends that I hang out with about 2-3 times a week.

The worst - the Triumph B2B in 2002. We ended up on it when the Spirit Hawaii was cancelled due to AC issues. Very long story but the worst 14 days on a ship ever!

Jodi
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Admiral

Best -2002 Royal Olympic Cruises -Olympia Explorer out of Venice

never had a bad cruise
Old May 9th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Best Cruise:

Overall: Top 10

Mercury Alaska
Statendam Asia
Renaissance Tahiti
Renaissance Western Mediterranean
Mercury Western Caribbean (First)
Norwegian Star Alaska
Royal Caribbean Serenade Hawaii
Carnival Legend Eight Day Southern Caribbean
Island Princess Panama Canal
SS Norway Eastern Caribbean
Millennium Eastern Caribbean

Alaska is my favorite destination but I am open to cruising to just about anywhere else. I cruise the Caribbean for the people and the ship but otherwise have no desire to cruise there. There are many more places to cruise to.

Out of nineteen cruises I have yet to have a terrible cruise. In 2002 I did the Ocean Princess 10 day Southern Caribbean cruise from Fort Lauderdale. It was just before it transferred to P&O and the ship was in desperate need of a dry dock and the staff was surly, and on the verge of rude. I did develop a relationship with the Chief Engineer but otherwise it was not a good crew. However, the ports, our tablemates and the Sterling Steakhouse made it a pretty good cruise.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Admiral

Loved most of our cruises, liked a couple, hated one but the overall most enjoyabe one was Sept. '94 on the Carnival Sensation. At that time it was only a year old, doing 7 nighters from Miami to San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Martin. It was our 4th cruise and the 1st time we had been on a cruise by ourselves. The ship didn't arrive in San Juan until 6 p.m so it was basically 2 days at sea going, and 2 wonderful relaxing sea days coming back.
My wife is in the jewelry business and imagine our surprise when we went to dinner the first night and one of the 2 honeymooner couples at our table was from our hometown and my wife had actually sold them their rings.
Everything on that cruise fell so perfectly into place we couldn't have made it any better. We went to the El Convento Hotel in San Juan to see the best Flamenco show I have ever seen. We discovered the Holland House on Front St. in Dutch St. Maarten--discovered they had a rum punch that was beyond good and was made by the best bartender, named Uti. ( Also discoverd I couldn't drink 3 of them and still get around very well )
We both had jobs dealing with the general public and the relaxing sea days were just what we needed. Loved every minute of that cruise.
Aaaaahhhh--- to go back and do it all over again !
Old May 10th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Captain

I have a hard time choosing as quite a few were just over the top!

Transatlantics on the ssNorway in 1984 and 1996, very special indeed.

Panama Canal (full transit) on Royal Princess, another classic ship and we were onboard with Les Brown and his band, what a cruise!

Alaska on the Song of Norway, 1st cruise of the season, only ship in port, marvelous! We saw Skagway, Haines, Wrangall, Juneau, Ketchikan and Sitka in one cruise on a smaller ship, no one else around! The best, and I haven't been back. I loved it, but all those big ships are there now.

But then last year on the Sea Princess seeing Iceland and Greenland, soaking in the Blue Lagoon, it was a great time, too!
Old May 11th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I've loved just about everything Europe. The Med and the Baltic are incredible.
So, probably one of our earliest CM groups on the Millennium ranks among my favorites. Then the Baltic on Radisson (now Regent) Seven Seas.
Our first CM Let's Get Lei'd Hawaii cruise on Summit has to be right up there, because I love Hawaii and we had a ball with the group onboard.

My least favorite was on the Carnival Victory... only because we had the probably the worst wait staff on any cruise, and the food (unusual for Carnival of late) was mediocre. Made for a bad combination, and the cruise simply wasn't as good as it should have been.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 11th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Admiral

No bad cruises so far for us. We've loved them all. That is all 7 of them. I guess the cruise on Radiance that we just took through the Panama Canal ranks at the top right now. Everything except the plumbing and some of the ports seemed perfect!

Alaska and Hawaii on Celebrity Infinity and Summit also rank up there with our favorites.