Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Captain

Default Euros

When you visit Europe, do you get Euro's from your bank at home or just get them from the airport?
I noticed that Euro's are going up but to get euro's from the bank I called is $18.

Any ideas?

Karen
Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Admiral

Your best option is to get Euros at the airport when you land. They tend to have the best exchange rate. You will have to wait x number of weeks if you try to get them at your local bank. Only get what you will need. Exchanging back to USD can be a pain and they do not exchange back coins.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Admiral

One more tip! When we went to Germany last December we used our ATM card to get euros out of the german tellers. A quick way to get money but it will cost you extra fees such as exchange rate fees, teller fees, foreign teller fees etc etc. here at home if I need money I never go to a teller where I have to pay an extra fee.

This added up a lot in Germany and I advise you to get Travelers checks and cash them in at a local bank when in Germany.
Old May 10th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Captain

That's interesting, Sue. I've found the opposite to be true when using my debit/ATM card from my credit union.

I've gotten Euros in Italy, Spain, France, Portugal, pounds in England and the exchange rate was great and I didn't have excessive fees, a dollar or two that's all per transaction. I've always found the airport rates to be higher. I never exchange money there.

I don't recommend travelers checks as banks in Europe definitely have different hours than US banks and small towns even harder to use travel checks, but there are ATMs on every corner.

Cashing the travelers checks onboard the ship is not a problem. I do use them but only to cash onboard for tips, gambling, etc. The Sea Princess had an exchange machine, which I used and the rate wasn't bad at all.
I put $'s in and got Euros out, convenience was worth the fee.

One of the malls near me does have a gentlemen who exchanges money for very reasonable rates. He has a desk in a travel agency. I get 100 Euros from him so I have something the minute I get off the plane. After that I just look for an ATM machine, in Europe they are everywhere.
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Admiral

I usually pick up foreign currency from my bank before going. Bank of America charges only $7.50 but the exchange rate is not that good. In Europe, ATMs are the way to go. I would just stop by one every couple of days picking up around $200 at a time to keep fees down. No reason to travel with travelers cheques.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Administrator
Admiral

In using an ATM I have never paid more than a $5 charge for using a foreign ATM and that also gave me the current exchange rate, at the time of the transaction. That's with Wells Fargo and they are fairly high.

Sue: I think you better find a new bank.

BTW: There is a difference in using a bank ATM and a Visa card for a cash advance.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 11th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Admiral

It is strange but true, they charged us a lot of money! We took the money out of our bank account through the ATM. Mike maybe you have a point there!

BTW what ever you do don't use your cell phone over there. I used mine and our bill came out to be over $900 a foolish thing to do. Either buy a phone there or get on a plan here in the USA.

<I know have to look into my bank and see why I was charged so much money!>
Old May 11th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Admiral

It is strange but true, they charged us a lot of money! We took the money out of our bank account through the ATM. Mike maybe you have a point there!

BTW what ever you do don't use your cell phone over there. I used mine and our bill came out to be over $900 a foolish thing to do. Either buy a phone there or get on a plan here in the USA.

<I now have to look into my bank and see why I was charged so much money!>
Old May 11th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Captain

I stopped in tha bank and they wouldn't get Euro's for me because I am not a customer. My bank does not have this service. I only wanted to get some Euro's for when I first get off the plane. Hmmm!

Thanks for all the great advice!
Karen
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Sailing Gal:

I would just exchange $50 at the U.S. airport before you go and then hit an ATM at the Europe airport when you land. It will make your life easier. If you don't find an ATM at the Europe airport you will have enough euros to get you to your hotel or to tide you over until you find an ATM.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 12th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Captain

Hi Mike,
Thanks! I'll do that. I didn't realize I could exchange money at my airport in the US. But then, that makes a lot of sense and I didn't even consider it. Cool!

Karen
Old May 12th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing gal
....I didn't realize I could exchange money at my airport in the US. But then, that makes a lot of sense and I didn't even consider it. Cool!

Karen
Hi Karen!

Mike, as to be expected is correct with his info. Almost all large international airports do have Exchange Bureaus usually in the Transatlantic terminal.

Ed

PS I'm surprised the bank wouldn't exchange for you. I'm sure my bank would--the one with the stagecoach--for a fee, that is

Ryndam, Baja / Mexico March 2005
"Old" Noordam, Transatlantic-Eastbound, April 2004
Old May 13th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Captain

Quote:
I'm surprised the bank wouldn't exchange for you
Hi Ed,
I felt like it was their tactic to get me as a customer. Yes, she actually tried to talk me into an account! As if I will switch my banks just so that I can get a few Euro's.

Karen