Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Blue American Express-Any Disadvantages?

Hi:

I just thought I would ask all the people "in the know", about this.
American Express keeps sending me offers for a blue card to replace my green one and it looks like you can pay over time, if you need to.
I've read the fine print and I don't see any disadvantages to changing from the green to the blue, but you guys know just about everything, so I thought I would ask.

Thanks in advance.

Happy Cruising.....Buddy (Anita)
Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Administrator
Admiral

There is really no disadvantage except that you have another card. I do have both cards. If you manage your money well I would go ahead and get it. Also tie your reward points into it. Reward points from both cards will accumulate together. It gives you the option of paying over a couple of months in the event you have to. The interest rate on green, gold or platinum Amex is too high for purchases that qualify for long term payments.

If you don't have an Amex green reward card or if you currently use a Visa card or have a number of other credit cards I would not get it. There is no sense in getting a credit card just to have it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 12th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Captain

I thought AE cards are limitless but used that one(blue card) and got a warning call from my boss for using it when she needed to use it for a big purchase. Is having a limit possibly a difference?

Karen
Old May 12th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Blue from American Express is a "Credit Card" with a set limit, like a Visa card. The green, gold and platinum American Express cards are "purchase cards" with no set limit and purchases are granted on your previous spending patterns.

You probably got in trouble because your large purchase caused the card to go close to the limit.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Familiar Face

I use AM Ex Blue. The one advantage I see with it is that there is no yearly fee or cost for having it.

Alaska NB - RCI Radiance of the Seas - August 06