Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Admiral

Default Why Must I Take Off My Shoes?

Why do I still have to take off my shoes to go through airport security?

The reason I ask is that the whole airport security screening is a farce! In planning on six days aboard Queen Mary 2, I decided I'd make jewelry on the crossing. My carry-on piece of luggage went through both Newark Airport and Cunard security with the following: a pair of pliers, wire cutters, a sharp metal tool that looks like a knife, scissors and three spools of metal wire.

My brother, who is a contractor, has flown a dozen times since 9/11 with a retractible box cutter on his key chain and no one has ever noticed.

So, why do I still have to take off my shoes?
www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Admiral

They think you might have a "B" in your shoe.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 18th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Anne - I haven't had to take off my shoes in a couple of years now.......have flown out of MKE, LAX, YVR, FLL, MIA, ANC, and a couple of other airports. And I wear New Balance walking shoes.
Old May 18th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Admiral

Default Why Must I Take Off My Shoes

I suspect it's fallout from when that guy tried to blow up a plane by striking a match to his shoe. Can't remember what he had in the shoe that would have ignited.

Judy
Old May 18th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Admiral

Every time I fly out of Newark it happens.......a month ago, two months ago. Always my shoes off.

.....yes, a B!!
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I think TSA is just hiring alot of people with foot fetishes.
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

The main reason is that these airports hire incompetent people. I too had to remove my shoes at Newark, and MSP the last time we flew from these airports. One individual was wearing flip-flops and was asked to remove them .. sheesh this country is going down hill with mentality.
Security is lacking in many areas.

OK, that is enough, don't get me started.

Old May 18th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Admiral

Perhaps it's because I wear high heel combat boots with spurs on them....
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Ride the TSA Anne and dig in those spurs ..

Old May 18th, 2006, 11:07 PM
First Mate

Default Why Must I Take Off My Shoes

When you fly our of DFW you have to remove your shoes. We did at McCarren also. I usually wear loafers because they are eay to remove.
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:22 AM
Admiral

Last month leaving out of Tampa, a security man asked me to remove my sandals. I told him they had passed through many times before, so - with his power, he had me pulled aside and seated with a female security agent - not to use a wand but to test them for residue ... my impression from the female agent was that he was power hungry.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Admiral

The last few times I flew (Montreal to Miami, Montreal to San Antonio, and Montreal to London) we both had to remove our shoes, and James had to remove his belt and suspenders and almost lost his pants righ there at security! I agree, it's a bit much, when after I retrieved my shoes, I realized that my purse had gone through undetected with a nail file in it!

donna
Old May 19th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

There doing the samething here in Jackson. A couple days ago, I went to the airport to check things out, and I noticed they were having people to remove there shoes, belts , and empting there pockets, before going through the scanners.

I'll be doing the same thing Saturday morning

Happy Cruising;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Admiral

I think it depends on which airport you are in. In February, my sister went through security with lighter(s) in her purse. Pittsburgh didn't catch it. However, when she left Orlando, they detained her for quite awhile and it turns out she had 10 lighters in that same purse. It scares me to think she made it through my home airport with all of those in her purse. Makes me wonder!
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

I asked once (at IAD) why we had to take off our shoes when the TSA web site states that is no longer a requirement. Response was "well you don't but then we'll test the shoes and do a wand search. Your call." I was also told that policies and procedures vary from airport to airport so there is no set pattern that someone could try to circumvent.

BTW, does anyone know whether any little kid (under the age of 6) or any little old ladies ever tried to take control of an aircraft ? Sure glad they take those knitting needles and thoroughly search those kids .

Sovereign - 3/99
Paradise - 4/00
Majesty - 11/00
Monarch - 12/02 (XMAS)
Radiance - 8/03 (AK) & 11/03
Adventure - 4/04, 3/05, 8/06
Navigator - 11/05
Century - 12/06
Serenade - 3/07

Adventure of the Seas

Serenade of the Seas
Old May 19th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Admiral

Sandra does a lot of work at the two Houston airports and I have had occassion to accompany her to these places and we have witnessed the TSA people having EVERYONE remove their shoes.

Donna, the belt incident with your husband brings a thought of mischievous glee to mind. I can see me being a funny guy and wearing pants too large and having them fall down if I were to have to remove my belt... . No, I'm too modest to do that!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 19th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Admiral

Flying to and back to Germany was a nightmare for us security wise. We had to take all of our shoes off<heavy boots due to the snow there> take the lap top out of the case, etc etc. But YET NONE found the BIG screwdriver that was unknown to us in my dh computer case until we went back home on our 4th security check right before we boarded the plane.
I guess stupidity<SP?> happens in every country and yes I agree some of these "officers" are rude, power hungry and just plain idiotic.
Old May 19th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Passenger

Hello everyone. I live just outside of Washington DC and any of the airports I fly out of ALWAYS have me take off my shoes. I chalked it up to living in this area. In leaving Miami or FLL I have been told to remove them a few times and other times no one said a word to me. I think they are having a hard time getting everyone on the same page with policy AND like Y2C said.....less than par employees.
Old May 19th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Admiral

I have reported all of you to TSA for complaining. You are all on the "must get naked before you fly" list.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Admiral

I think it really depends on the airport. The last couple of flights we haven't had to remove our shoes.

When flying out of Manchester, NH a couple years ago they found a pair of needle nose pliers in my daughter's packback (left over from making fairy wings for a Halloween Costume). The rest of the family had already cleared security and we were waiting on the other side. An agent asked if one of us wanted to come back. The proceeded to empty all her carry on stuff. To make matters worse she had some perfume that was in a clear vial that was surrounded by a round clear cylindar (which really sparked thier interest). Then they really latched on to the book she was reading which her older college age friend gave her - he was studing Arabic Languages and such and gave her this novel written by an Arab and that inscribed in it that he hoped that this would help her see a different point of view - which of course they read and skimmed the book. It was sort of scary - but after a few questions they seemed satisfied that we were not terrorists (I'm sure they were doing background checks ).
Ever since then she has been much more careful about packing. We all have. It was not a moment we wanted to relive.
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Admiral

, Doug. I didn't take off my sandals this time when we went through security in San Diego airport. No problem. I would take them off if asked to. It doesn't make a lot of sense, but in the interest of safety I'll do it. It kind of scares me hearing of the things that can and do pass through security. I wish they could make up their minds and be consistent.

Phyll
Old May 19th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Captain

I am just thankful I don't get pulled out for one of those patdowns. My sister has been through so many of them when flying alone/ one way to college. I'll take the shoes off any day instead of doing that.

Karen
Old May 20th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default Security

As we finished customs in Miami on last Tuesday we were outside of the enter part of the terminal. Still wonder why they send you outside to come back in. Just don't make sense. Well we went to the proper terminal to board our flight home. Security there was all together different than others. The line was very short, maybe 4 people. Waited and waited and finally they called us. We removed every items that may have metal in it. Then they directed us over to a booth, looked like a Telephone booth. Was directed to stand on a printed foot and stay still. Then they PUFFED us. A shot of wind came up from the bottom and WOOPS
what a thrill. It was a new gadget sub for the radar you normally pass thru. Then they directed up to a table with our removed stuff. Directed to sit down and they used a paper thing all over our stuff. Helen,s purse, shoes and other things. Had to take out our camera and turn it on then turn on the cell phone. Gosh What is coming next.

Next day I talked to a TSA agent and he said the PUFFER will be coming to all the airport security points.

Well anyway the Miami Security was the most througher one we have witnessed. Did not mind much because we think they gonna have to stop the Teriost boarding our flights. We do like to live a long life. Maybe they go to extremes sometimes. BUT.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old May 20th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default Security

As we finished customs in Miami on last Tuesday we were outside of the enter part of the terminal. Still wonder why they send you outside to come back in. Just don't make sense. Well we went to the proper terminal to board our flight home. Security there was all together different than others. The line was very short, maybe 4 people. Waited and waited and finally they called us. We removed every items that may have metal in it. Then they directed us over to a booth, looked like a Telephone booth. Was directed to stand on a printed foot and stay still. Then the PUFFED us. A shot of wind came up from the bottom and WOOPS
what a thrill. I was a new gadget sub for the radar you normally pass thru. Then they directed up to a table with our removed stuff. Directed to sit down and they used a paper thing all over our stuff. Helen,s purse, shoes and other things. Had to take out our camera and turn it on then turn on the cell phone. Gosh What is coming next.

Next day I talked to a TSA agent and he said the PUFFER will be coming to all the airport security points.

Well anyway the Miami Security was the most througher one we have witnessed. Did not mind much because we think they gonna have to stop the Teriost boarding our flights. We do like to live a long life. Maybe they go to extremes sometimes. BUT.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old May 20th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Admiral

we just flew back from Vegas and u guessed it... the line we were in ALL had to take off shoes,... even my skinny little flip flops.... but, the line beside us "kept on trucking" !! And, to make matters worse in McCarren u have to carry your shoes for awhile til u find somewhere to sit down & put them back on !! Its crazy, especially flip flops... but I told my son... just do it... we dont want to made guinea pigs !! and, we barely made our flight as is... can u imagine had they actually stopped us ? We'd be there for DAYS !!

Steph
Old May 21st, 2006, 12:10 AM
Admiral

That "puffer" machine is testing for explosive residue ... went through one last November in Tampa.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old May 21st, 2006, 07:49 AM
Passenger

Default Security Stupidity

Dear Friends:

Try this one on for size...I am a Level One Cardiac Patient with permanant nerve damage, therefor, the upper left side of my chest is EXTREMELY sensitive..to the point that a person can put me in severe pain just by touching it. I explained this to the TSA person last Summer as we flew down from Atlanta to get on The Carnival Glory, and I even took my shirt off so they could see I was not concealing anything. They STILL insisted on causing me pain VIA hand search even though you can plainly see I am telling the truth because of the 14" surgical scar down the center of my chest. THEN I got hassled for taking two Percodans afterwords in plain view because they succeeded in causing me to be in pain. Removing your shoes?! Consider yourself blessed.

Brandt;-)
Old May 21st, 2006, 10:32 AM
Passenger

After traveling overseas many times for work I think I can answer why no shoes. Many shoes have metal arch supports or many heavy eyelets that set off the metal detector. Every time someone sets off the alarm on an international flight they are pulled to the side. If you set off the alarm you will get the pat down search on the side which could cause delays for you, depending on how many people are in line to be searched. I take off my shoes when going through even though I know they have no metal in them just to make it easier on me and the fellow travelers behind me in line. I traveled with a coworker one time and he had a Levi shirt with large metal buttons and lace up boots with the heavy metal eyelets. He was checked at every security station. He no longer wears those clothes or boots.

Tips
Have the ID and boarding pass in hand ready to show them to the attandant.
Take the laptop out of the carryon with out being asked.
Take off your shoes and coats to be placed in the scanner.
If you have a purse or briefcase put everything you have in your pockets in it before you get to the security station. Including the cell phone and billfold. Many people (including me) forget we have a pass key for the car in the billfold and sometimes it will set off the detector. It also keeps them out of sight for easy pick up from the bowls if you get pulled aside for search. In Hong Kong they give you a number that matches the container you items are in to prevent someone from getting the wrong container. Good idea that should be used everywhere.
Treat the attendant like you want to be treated, even when asked to step aside.
If you have a medical condition like the previous poster, ask your doctor for a travel card stating the condition. Pacemaker, artifical heart valve, metal plate in your body, etc. It might help.

I know there are just some attendants that want to be on a power trip just like every other job. When we run into one of them just do what we are told, be polite and make the best of it.

I have been searched several times and I always treated them with respect and they did likewise. One attendant even told me they wished everyone had the same attitude I did because it would make everything much easier.

Safe traveling.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 02:38 PM
First Mate

recent articles show tests of a new machine that will avoid the shoe removal issue As to the question "why"--remember 9-11, the shoe bomber & that life will never be the same as it used to be...
Old June 3rd, 2006, 10:22 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to kimxotennis

I fly out of philadelphia international and they ALWAYS make either my dad or brother take off their shoes, its never happen to me or my mom...and its always been like this, before & after 9/11.
My uncle works with the police force and he told me that the statistic in the airport is that the workers find 1 in every 4 people suspicious-looking, that means at least always one of us in my family!!