Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 19th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Admiral

Default Century Cruise dilemma!

Jim has decided that it would just be too hard for him to go on the Century cruise as he now knows it falls just days before the press days at the Detroit Auto Show. That is his job. Cars and auto shows so I can see his concern. Anything that is going to go wrong will that week and it would be hard to solve while on the cruise.

So I have to decide what to do and I just don't know. I hate going anywhere with out him. I can't tell you how much I'm upset about that. But it is the only time in the near future I can see taking a trip with both the kids at the same time. Mike is about to go off to college and starting summer internships and his schedule will be different than my daughters high school schedule. We have two rooms booked right now and the kids still want to go and just want me to find someone else to go in his place. We are thinking a friend of Mike's or another relative.

I'm torn between that as it could be one of the last times or if we can't go as a family, don't go at all.

Any advice?

Tina

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Yeoman

Hi Bug:
Go for it ! You will still have a great time.

Regards,
Ben
Old May 19th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Admiral

Thanks and hey Ben, I was thinking about you! How have you been, Ben?

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old May 19th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Tina... we'd certainly hate to see you cancel. We're very much looking forward to meeting you all the cruisemates community members we haven't met yet.
No doubt you and the kids would have a great time on the cruise, and enjoy your time together as well as the new friends you'll all make.

I do understand your dilema though. It won't feel like a "family outing" without your husband. It sounds as though he'd like for you to go, and with the kids growing up and getting busy it may indeed be one of those last opportunities to be with them.

Good luck with you decision. Not an easy one. Maybe made easier if you find a good friend or close family member to go with you.

If you do decide against it, hopefully another cruise will come up down the road where we'll get to meet.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 19th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Tina,
I would lean toward going without your husband so at least one of you would have the opportunity to spend time with both of your kids. I'm sure the kids would enjoy the chance to have a vacation together before they start going their seperate ways.
With email and digital photos you could keep your husband up to date on the trip.
Angela Z.
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Admiral

I think I would go, if he had no objections.
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Admiral

T-Bug, first of all, my selfish reason for you to go: I want to meet you! And you have a son my son's age to keep him company.
Now the hard part, going without your husband. That's a tough decision that only you could make, and I don't know if I could do it. However, it may be a last chance to vacation with both your kids, so maybe that's incentive enough?
Meanwhile, I too have a dilema. Son's "girlfriend" is n longer his girlfriend, so we too have an open spot in one cabin. I'm sure we will be able to fill it with another friend sometime in the next 7 months!

donna
Old May 19th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Admiral

Default Century Cruise Delimma

Tina, I, too, hope that you decide to go on this cruise. I look forward to meeting you, as well. Too bad your spouse can't find a replacement for himself at the auto show. Don' forget, we'll have to set up a chance for your son to meet my retired engineer DH!

Judy
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Admiral

Judy, part of the reason DS doesn't want me to cancel.

Old May 20th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Passenger

Tell your hubby to bring his laptop, cellphone, and join the cruise. That is the wonder of the new ships and their savy with us who live a wireless life. Unless he really has to be (is it still Cobo Hall)at the site to view the cars and interview people, or if he is in charge of set up that is a differnt basket of eggs. We still talk about the last big family vacation that we took with our kids and that was way back in 88. Go for it if you have to, why not let each of the kids take a friend, and enjoy a cabin by yourself.
Old May 20th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Captain

t-bug i think you should go with the kids sound like your kids life is going
get busy you might what to spend some time with them before that hapens
Old May 20th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

Tina,
GO !! Enjoy the cruise.
I had a simular experience a few years. We were invited to a wedding at the same time as a cruise. Well, hubby went & I took the cruise. He met the ship later in the week at one of the ports. We had a great time.
Please, this is doable. Think about plan B.
Carole 8)
Old May 20th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Admiral

Oh this is soooo hard. He is upset as well. He just wants to say, "S@#^W it" I'm going!" But then is afraid he will regret it when there is big problems with any of the cars or displays. Regarding the autoshow, yes he is in charge and yes it is still at Cobo.

Donna-I hear ya, and I can tell you know exactly what I'm up against. I have never been away from him at NYE for 27 years. But I have such fun with my kids and know we'd have fun. We all know once they go off to college, that's pretty much it.

I appreciate all your help.

Old May 20th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Can I vote twice?
My kids are going to be 20 (daughter) and 17 (son) on the cruise and are hoping to meet lots of people their age since mom and dad are bringing them on this trip.....I figured if we didn't bring the kids then the really big New Years party was going to be at our house while we're gone!
Angela Z.
Old May 20th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Admiral

I hope you will choose to sail too. I know how hard it is when your hubby can't go with you. So far I haven't been able to book one without Jake even though I know he would encourage me to do that if that situation arose. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you, and praying that you'll make the decision that works best for you.

Jake also would be happy to talk to your son about his future career.

Phyll
Old May 20th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Tina,

You need to follow your heart. I hope you will be able to go. I surely understand your situation.

Good Luck

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old May 20th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Captain

Tough call, Tina but I think you should go for the cruise. I know easy for me to say, no kids, not married but with my sisters, my niece/nephews, I've been a part of hard decisions. I remember when my brother-in-law left my sister to be an over the road truck driver, gone for 2 weeks at a time. They were always together, he was a teacher, asst. principal and
then principal but always wanted to drive a truck. He did it for a year or so but a tough year for her.

My other sister had my niece late in life and once the late teens/college times arrive, things do change. Hard as it may be, I'd grab for quality time with them, a week together, in the future a weekend might get hard to come by!!!

As for the auto show, working in the industry for 33 years, being down at McCormick Place to help with many a show for VW, knowing what is involved, I can't imagine trying to keep tabs on a major show remotely.

Just my two cents, I'd love to meet you, too!!!
Old May 20th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Admiral

T -

I think if DH is honestly sincere in wanting u to go with the kids, then by all means GO !! My DH tells me to do stuff all the time, but then I get there & wish he was with me so its a catch 22 !! I went to Niagara Falls a few years back with my son... he hated it & I kept thinking how nice it would have been if DH had been there to enjoy the scenery with me...

Make the decision that is best for you, only u know what that is !!

Take Care,
Steph

30+ more posts til Im an ADMIRAL... lol !!