Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:49 AM
Captain

Default computer ignorant question

When you bring your laptop along to Europe, and you have say AOL, can you just log into AOL from any country? I see my BIL hook up his computer when we are away and don't know how that works. It looks like he is just plugging it into the wall but he must have it plugged to the phone line,right?

Karen
Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:17 AM
Administrator
Admiral

You can use AOL from Europe but I don't know if it is the "Same" AOL. I know that the look isn't the same.

To get an Internet connection you must be connected to a phone line or cable that is connected to the Internet.

To use dial up in Europe, your current modem probably will not work. It will not recognize the European dial tone. You would need a modem that is European compatible or the software to make your current modem compatible (if possible). I would put your chances of getting a dial up connection at slim, especially if you are not too computer savvy.

If you have a "cable" or "wireless" connection on your computer and that access is available at the location you are going in Europe then you will have little problem in making a connection to the Internet. These connections are basically a worldwide standard.

You will also need a 220v electric adapter plug.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:26 AM
Captain

Hey Mike,
Thanks for taking the time to write that out! Sounds tricky but I'll try those things. I want to be able to email home.

Karen
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:57 AM
Admiral

Karen- If you are able to get an internet connection while overseas you will be able to email through AOL.COM without bothering with the AOL software. You might consider doing this through any internet cafe if you have no luck getting connections at your hotel or if the charges there are $$$$$.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004