Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 28th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Man Jumps from Leows Hotel in Miami

Saw in the paper this morning that an Oncologist, on vacation with his wife his sons, threw both his sons off the balcony at the Loews Hotel on South Beach, and then jumped himself.
What a tragedy!!

There's also the man who night before last jumped from Carnival Legend... apparently with family watching.

How sad for the families involved! I honestly can't imagine the desperate situations that could lead to these events. What makes it really odd though somehow these people who are feeling suicidal seem to be getting motivation to copy the acts of others they are reading about in the newspapers.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2006, 11:30 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to ms_Kalamity

Unfortunately suicidal people have an extreme amount of darkness in their lives. They truely believe that their families, and the world in general would be a much better place without them. These people who succeed in perishing also do not have, or know the presence of God in their lives, or have denied Him. If they would only reach out to God and give Him all of their troubles in life, they in turn would be able to see the light of life. All we can do for people in such termoil is pray for them, and be there to help guide them to the Lord if possible. Unfortunatly it seems to be those who don't talk about their depression, are the ones who succeed in death.

Jane

Independance of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas, October, 2007
Serenade of the Seas June, 2006
Old May 28th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
They truely believe that their families, and the world in general would be a much better place without them
While that may be true. In this rash of cases it would (at least logically) seem that the way these people are choosing to commit suicide (or murder suicide) visibly, in view of family, is to punish the family members they are leaving behind. They want their deaths to be witnessed, to be public, and they seem to want them in the press. I'm not sure what psychologists would say about this phenomena.

As to whether these people are religious or not; Human history shows us that sadly the vast majority of wars are fought over religious values.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 28th, 2006, 01:38 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to ms_Kalamity

Kuki,

I don't know the reasons behind murder/suicide, or even wanting someone else to whitness someones suicide. I just know what I personally have dealt with myself, many, many years ago. As for the religion part, it is not religion in particular, or even any particular religion. It is believing in God, and knowing that He can heal the hurt, pain, and bring light into the darkness. The biggest thing is that you have to believe, and be willing to give up all of your troubles to God. Ask God to do with you as is His will. You would be amazed the transformation that happens. It is like an incredible weight has been lifted off of your body, and light has entered bringing with it the ability to find happyness.

I will relate my personal story as it unfolded the day that God released me from my turmoil, in hopes that if someone else out there reads this, that they too can find the Lord and be released from their darkness.

It was a Sunday morning, I was really tired and ready to give up. I felt my daughter was old enough to remember me when I was gone. With the radio on, a Sunday sermon came on. Usually I would turn them off, or change the station. I started to do this very thing when I felt a hand on my arm literally holding me from changing the station. There was no one standing there capable of doing this. Yet I felt every last finger holding my left arm. I felt as if I was supposed to listen to what was on the radio. The sermon that day was all about giving up all of your troubles to God, and asking Him to do with your life as is His will. After the broadcast, I prayed to God to do that very thing. Afterward I told my daughter that I was tired and was going to lay down for a little bit. While laying there, I was awake, yet asleep, kind of in that la la stage where you are aware of your surroundings. Literal darkness (in the daylight) surrounded me, when suddenly I saw a rope decending out of the darkness above me. The rope was glowing with a golden light. As I reached up to grasp the rope, I woke up and knew that everything was going to be allright. Light had suddenly returned to my life! God was the answer!

I am not sure what else I can say, except that I am still here and doing GREAT!

In His Holy Name
Jane

Independance of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas, October, 2007
Serenade of the Seas June, 2006
Old May 30th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Admiral

Old May 31st, 2006, 08:33 AM
Admiral

While all these were totally tragic. I too belive that there is not problem so bad that it can not be fixed.
I have told all my friends and relatives that if they find me dead somewhere. Start looking for a suspect because I love ME more than anyone. . I just do not understand.
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:00 AM
Admiral

Wow! So sad for these people and thier families. I never have been able to understand this. Life is a wonderful gift.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011