CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Newbie question (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/314822-newbie-question.html)

Maymoona May 30th, 2006 12:08 AM

Newbie question

Ok, I know this is a total novice question, but here goes....

I just took my first cruise, am I am itching to start planning my next. My aunt, a seasoned cruiser, took care of everything last time. The cruise was a graduation present for me from her and my father. (They split my fare.)

Here is my question: when you look up the price of a cruise on the line's website, is the fare quoted per person, or per cabin. It says "price based on double occupancy" That doesn't mean much to me except that the room is meant to be shared. Is the price for the room or the individual? And let's say I got a mini-suite, and got two people to with me, does that mean I could split the room three ways? I'm confused.

Thanks in advance for any help.

MayMay

cruzfever May 30th, 2006 12:16 AM

Hello Maymoona; Hope I can help you with your questions. The price you see listed, is per person. You need to have aleast two people in your cabin or you can go solo, which the price is doubled or near to that. Most cruise lines give the 3 and/or 4th passenger a lower price than what is quoted for the first 2 passengers.

cruzfever May 30th, 2006 12:26 AM

To answer your question about the mini suite, the price you see listed again is the price per person for the first two of you, and the others who join you, their fare would be less. You could then divide the total amount among you. If you go onto one of the cruiselines websites like RCI or NCL you could select a cruise for fun and check out the how the pricing is done for the 3rd and 4th persons. For any future cruises you have in mind I would go through a travel agent. The prices I have paid for my past cruises have always been cheaper that what I see posted from the cruise lines.

Maymoona May 30th, 2006 02:16 PM

Oh, thank you very much for your help. I will definitely contact a travel agent next time to compare fares.

:)

Sea Trekker May 30th, 2006 02:18 PM

May,
one wrod of caution... Don't go for the cheapest rate.
You know what they say, 'You get what you pay for'. usually an inside cabin at the bottom of the ship.

Maymoona May 30th, 2006 02:22 PM

I'm with ya there! I will not consider a cabin without a balcony. Ever. That's just my standard now, after having such a beautiful cabin this time. I'll save up a little longer if I have to.

:D

Luanne Russo May 30th, 2006 02:31 PM

Also a lot of the cheapies are without the port taxes and other taxes. By the time they are through with you, it cost more to purchase.

Luanne

LisaK May 30th, 2006 02:36 PM

MayMay - once you have decided on which cruise you want to take, post it on the cruise compete section of these boards.(click on cruise shopping banner) You will get competitive quotes from reputable cruise travel agents. You are under no obligation to purchase from them, but it is really good information, and the prices are usually very, very good.

Maymoona May 30th, 2006 02:55 PM

thanks Lisa! I didn't even know that was there! =)