Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 30th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Passenger

Default skymiles credit card

Does anyone have a sky miles credit card? if you do, does it help? Is it easy to redeem? I am thinking of getting one, but the rate is high, so I would want to pay it off every month.

My largest expense is my mortgage. I am wondering if I could charge my mortgage payment on it once a month, and just set my bank up to automatically send the equivalent payment to my amex card instead of to my morgage company, as it does now?

Can anyone shed any light here?

Thanks

MayMay
Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Admiral

I earn over 100,000 miles per years on my Skymiles credit card. I don't know of any mortgage that will let you pay be credit card. If you don't fly Delta (a lot), I don't think it would be worthwhile getting the card. You can get a free card from Hilton or Starwood that gets you hotel points. Never plan on being able to use miles for tickets. Also, using miles for domestic tickets rarely makes sense.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old May 30th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Passenger

I think you're right about the mortgage. Thinking about it from their side there would be no reason for them to let a mortgagee use a credit card since there would be fees.
Old May 30th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

A good card to build up miles is a Capital One Miles card. I agree with Marc in that there isn't any mortgage company that will allow you to put your mortgage on a credit card. It is also a good way to get yourself into major financial problems if you have to carry over a payment. You are basically paying double interest.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 30th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Admiral

I just registered (targeted I think) for a double miles promotion for Jun - Aug. Only problem is limit of 20,000 bonus miles. However, I will arrange purchases (pay off two cruises early) to get $20,000 on the card during these three months. These "bonuses" is how I earn over 100,000 miles per year.

Good luck selecting a card. Cash is always king so you might want to look at a cash back card like discover if you don't travel a lot.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14