Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 3rd, 2006, 06:07 AM
Admiral

Default Going to Kenya Africa!!!!!!!

Today we are telling our Pastor we are going on the missions trip in october. We will try to find a way to go since we need someone to be here with our teens while we are gone. The trip is 3 weeks long , flying to Nairobi , another 8 hr car drive and we are there! I can't wait to see the orphanage and everything else like the Massai warriors they have ministered to last time. At the end of 3 weeks they always do a Safari which is so swesome. My husband agreed to go too which I think is awesome.
For those who believe in prayer please keep it in your prayers as this is a long and difficult trip plus very expensive.
Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2006, 08:17 AM
Admiral

That is very exciting Sue. It is a great way to get life back into perspective. It will be life changing. We just had a friend visiting us from India. He is Indian and came to the States to attend the same Bible School I went to. He went back after he finished and now pastors a large church that has a big outreach to widows and orphans and the tsunami refugees. He shared lots about his ministry. My daughter hopes to join him in for a period of time after she graduates from college (hopefully in two years).

It does cost a lot - but think of it as an investment. All things that are truly worthwhile require sacrifice. I think that it will do more for you than you can even imagine.

God Bless,
Old June 3rd, 2006, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Hi Sue,
This will be a good trip for you and your husband. I hadn't seen this post before we left for Englewood today. I'm sure that you'll have loads of prayers on your behalf to get you two to Kenya. As much as we like cruising, I bet you'll get more satisfaction knowing that you will be reaching out to folks in a different population. There was an African family in our church up north that was sponsored by one of our parishioner families. They they became an integral part of the church community. Those people, here and there are from great stock, with lots of faith and praise for God. It will be well worth it to go!!
Lynne

Ruby Princess
Old June 3rd, 2006, 08:21 PM
Admiral

Jen I think you are right. It is increasingly becoming more and more difficult for me to even think cruising when I think of our african friends.They showed me personally what is wrong with me when it comes to material stuff.But I also know we need breaks and vacations!I hope your daughter will go.

The kenya trip will be a huge sacrifice financially and time wise. We are on track and already talking how we can save money so we can go.

Lynne it was great talking to you on the phone. I am hoping someday we will meet in person. We had just come home and tried putting up the trampoline for the kids. We found one at a yard sale with the enclosure for a good price plus we had the opportunity to pray for their little girl<she has feet problems>
Old June 3rd, 2006, 09:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Sue, What a wonderful way to see the world. Is your church helping out with the expense? Is there a place for the missionaries to sleep, so that you don't have to pay for motels? Keep us informed as you get closer, and of course lots of prayers for you and the teens.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old June 3rd, 2006, 09:54 PM
Admiral

Luanne,
From what I gathered while talking to Sue today-I was in the car just leaving my mother's-finances are raised by the families. I imagine there would be some sponsored dinners or events, maybe, along the way but I think a lot of the cash needs to be raised by those going.

Is that right, Sue? I know that the folks on this board can certainly supply a multitude of prayers that will get you to Kenya with the provisions to sustain you enroute and while there.

(The trampoline sounds like fun!)

Lynne

Ruby Princess
Old June 4th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Captain

My inlaw's had a couple stay from Africa. They said ten families could fit in my inlaws home. The congregation gave them money to continue to the next town.
Then one time a freind came to visit and had two children staying with her from Africa. They were so quiet at our boisterous dinner table. I wondered what they thought of us. They must have thought we are rich. Meat is a luxury for them and all the other things we have to be thankful for.
What a great opportunity. When do you go?

Karen
Old June 4th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Luanne no, everybody has to pay for themselves. our church is small, no paid staff at all and we don't take up "offical" collections<there is a small box on the wall in the back> The pastor has a full time job besides being a pastor, we have elders all are non paying positions as it should be. We are leaving Oct 17 and come back Nov 7th. <could change by a few days>
As for staying at a place we have to pay for 1 night in Nairobi, afterwards stay in Bungoma which is $15 p.per per night with all 3 meals. After that 1 week into the Massai country where we will stay close to a church that will feed us. The last few days a Safari which isn't too expensive,<missionary rates> Then 8 hr drive back from Bungoma to Nairobi where we will stay 1 night at a hotel again. It takes like 2 days to get home<over London most likely>
They also have a street ministry where they feed kids from the street but only sometimes as they don't have the funds Guess how much it cost to feed 160 kids? $$$20! That's it. Oh how I wish I had lots of money. My husband is helping with the African web site. When it's ready I will post a link here. My goal is to help out with the orphanage and second to feed the street kids. Maybe we can feed them every other day money permitting. Our pastor tells us we will alays have time until 1pm and after that we go out to minister at churches, market places etc etc. Last time they took all the kids at the orphanage and went shopping with them<clothing,shoes etc> bought them a few things.
The airfare online right now would be $1300 but we can get special missionaries rates. What the savings will be I don't know until August.The hotel is worth the $15 p.per with 3 meals and I am told the food is quite good. Thats it....
Old June 4th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Count me in!!!! I would love to help in anyway I can. Looking forward to leaning more about it.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old June 4th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Captain

Sue, I promise you this trip is going to change your life. I have been doing mission work in the mountains of Honduras since 1998 and after my first day of my first trip I was hooked (worse than cruising!). We do a medical and optical mission every January and some years we also do a summer trip for a VBS and construction project.

There is absolutely nothing about what I see in Honduras that compares to the US. The children are the most difficult to get used to I think. I would look at a child and think, "okay, he's about 5" then I would look at his paperwork and he was 8! True, they are smaller people than us, but mostly it's the nutrition that makes such a huge difference.

Three years ago we saw three adults who were in terminal conditions from nothing but starvation. When was the last time you saw an otherwise healthy person die of starvation? I came home and raised the money $10 at a time to start a feeding program for that village. Gladly, each year we've returned the people look sooo much healthier that one of our doctors wanted to know why we weren't seeing the really sick people anymore. She was shocked when I told her these were the same people as previous years - they were just nourished!!! Thanks be to God.

I could go on for hours about the impact this will have on you, but I promise you will never look at anything the same. It is going to rip your heart out on one hand, but you will receive so much more than you give.

I know how difficult it is to raise money for a trip because we too fund our own way. Good luck to you and please, please keep us informed.

La paz,
Georgia
Old June 5th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Admiral

Luanne the soonest web sites and flyers are up and running I will let you know! Thank you!

Georgia, what a moving story! God bless you for helping others and making the world a better place! I just got pictures this morning from the pastor from Bungoma and it shows the orphanage and the kids.

Do you have a travel agent that deals with special missionary rates for the flight? We are looking into the rates now. If you could be of any help feel free to PM me or e-mail me!
Old June 5th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Captain

Sue, I deal with the airlines' group reservation dept. Some airlines will give you a missionary or huminitarian rate but those are becoming few and far between. If you are booking 10 or more call for a group rate, but even then you will probably do better by checking out expedia, travelocity, etc. They are usually cheaper. The only reason to book a group rate is that you have some flexibility with your ticket. I booked my tickets for January in March (glad I did too seeing what's happened to fuel prices!), but I don't have to provide the names for the tickets until 45 days prior to departure. I also can drop up to 10% of my tickets and only pay a $60 penalty. Since I don't usually know who will make the team from year to year, I lock in 20 tickets early and send the list in about 2 month out.
In an emergency they will allow you to do a last minute name change for a small fee. One of our members died 3 weeks before we left and his widow donated their 2 tickets to another couple. I was able to change the names for $25 or so each.

But if it's strictly a matter of money, go with the online agencies. Or you may ask around your church and see if people have air miles they can donate to you. We had a gentleman last year who travelled extensively and gave us enough miles for 2 tickets.

Good luck.
Old June 5th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Admiral

Thanks! But there are a missionary flight rates out there but you have to go through a travel agent. I thibk we will be flying British Airways on those rates. It's a lot cheaper thats for sure. The price to Nairobi is a lot of money.

I let you know how we will make out. Pastor just sent me some pictures this morning from Bungoma and the orphanage. They also have a baby that was left on a bus. He is very cute.
Old June 5th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Admiral

Sue, I think this is great and a blessing. I know you will enjoy it so much. The guy that comes on at nights as I am getting off was raised up close to there. His dad was a missionary. Tim speaks the language and is very interesting to talk to. Good Luck and Prayers are on the way for the tripand the blessing of getting it all together.
Old June 5th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Admiral

Big John thanks! It is a great trip and I know God will honor our visit with His blessings. Today I talked to my dad in Germany <a non believer >and he told me all missionaries should be shot and killed. I feel pitty/sad for him but pray God will come into his heart before he goes. As of now I have been feeling better and now I am occupied planning for this trip.
Old June 6th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Admiral

Sue, I hate to hear that of your dad but maybe the Lord is working on him. My friend came in last night and I told him of what you are getting ready to embark upon and he said he was raised just south of there in Botswana(sp?). Have a good time getting ready and I hope all falls right into place.