Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Admiral

Default Caribbean Princess, Part 2

Caribbean Princess, Part 2
Saturday May 27, Sail Away

Ah! That most exciting time of any cruise, the Sail Away, and I was not disappointed; Caribbean Princess makes a big deal out of it! We headed up to the Calypso pool area where all the action was taking place.

Of course, we grabbed ourselves a couple of Sail Away drinks (yummmm!!) and I did the requisite toast to CruiseMates. Unfortunately, James is still unfamiliar with my camera and he cut most of my head off, but you get the idea!

The "Jamaican Me Crazy" sail away party was a fun and fantastic time, with live music from the pool band Oasys, the recreation staff in their matching tropical shirts, crazy dancing and prizes awarded. We did line dancing, a conga line, and my personal favourite "Hey Baby", learning all the actions from each other. I was having such a good time, I forgot to take pictures, but James has it all on videotape, and it's quite hilarious! I even had to jump in the pool a few times to cool off - it was HOT HOT HOT!

After the party, I enjoyed a nice swim in the lovely Calypso pool. I loved the beautiful, colourful mosaic tiles surrounding both the main pools on the Caribbean Princess, and being able to sit alongside the pool in very shallow water and enjoy a drink and some sun.

I also enjoyed some very good thin crust pizza from the pizza parlour, and finally, we returned to our cabin to sit on the balcony and enjoy our wine and chocolate dipped strawberries. Ahhh, what a life!

Around 8:30 p.m. we found our way down to the Coral Dining Room, where we had chosen this time to try "anytime dining". We have mixed feelings about "anytime dining" which I will go into later. On our first night, we were shown to table 324, where we met the most wonderful waiters, Rodel and Edgar, both from the Philippines. They were both wonderfully friendly, funny, and extremely helpful, genuinely eager to please, and their service was superb, not just the first night, but throughout the week.

My first Princess meal was excellent - started with a cold Pina Colada soup (served in a large glass with a straw!), a lovely salad with lemon herb vinaigrette dressing, and for the entree, a pasta dish with grilled chicken. Dessert was even more wonderful; profiteroles with whipped cream and chocolate sauce, and a chocolate volcano. (when you just can't decide - have them both!)
We left the dining room full and satisfied with our first Princess dining experience. From the Coral dining room, we wandered, trying to get our bearings, finding it difficult to find our way around this huge ship. We finally ended up at the Princess Theatre, where we saw most of the "Welcome Aboard" show. The singers and dancers were not too impressive, but the comedian, Miguel Washington was pretty good. We met our cruise director, David Cole, and he was pleasant enough, and even sang a song.
By the time the show ended, we were both so tired, we just decided to go back to the cabin, and there we found not a towel animal, but my nightgown, exquisitely laid out on the bed wating for me!

After writing up notes of the day's events (for CruiseMates!), I fell asleep effortlessly, listening to the soothing hum of the Caribbean Princess....

to be continued...

donna
Old June 9th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Still wish I was there!
Angela Z.
Old June 9th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Yeoman

Default Carribean Princess review

Love the nightgown on the bed. I used to cruise with satin nightgowns, now if the cabin steward looks he sees t shirts! As I said, we loved Carribean Princess, but hated anytime dining. Never had the same waiters twice. I will say, however, it was when the ship was new and they didn't have their act together. I'm sure it has improved considerably.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old June 9th, 2006, 11:54 PM
First Mate

Keep those reviews coming, really enjoy reading them. Princess ships have always been nicely done IMHO. Largest one we have been on has been the Sun Class. CP looks huge!
Old June 10th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Admiral

Hey Donna....... I have a feeling you are going to make us all wait for Installment # 10 before you start telling us how you liked the cruise compared to Carnival, etc.....

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old June 10th, 2006, 01:21 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Thanks, Donna! Now, I can't wait for the rest of your review!
Old June 10th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Admiral

We liked the anytime dining at the Car. Princess. Betty what we did we asked for the same time and waiters/table and we got it <party of 5> we never had a problem. Maybe some people don't know they let you do this?
i was not impressed with the food but the dessert YUMMY

Thanks for the review Donna. I will not be going on any cruises in the near future so this is the next best thing, reading your review
Old June 11th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Admiral

We ate in the Palm Dining Room, but these two servers look familiar? Why, because I think they rotate throughout the ship during the week! My only complaint about the food was that both times my prime rib was too rare for my taste after ordering medium. I got though my pieces by eating around the outside, but, I bet they would have brought me another one if I'd fussed.
We've had anytime dining a couple of time (Personal Choice) but did go back to a set time because of table availability and location. Last time we had a nice time with our set table mates. At Personal Choice-we ended up at a large table anyway most of the time ,which was OK but not what we had planned.

Yes, I'm ready to go back aboard this ship!! Lynne

Ruby Princess