Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Yeoman

Now that I think about it......so am I!!!!!!! HA HA HA HA HA
You do know he is going to read all these post and he's going to get us back when he returns????

I hope everyone has a wonderful cruise!
Old July 14th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Admiral

Heck yeah... He's probably feeling the all of the darts we tossed at his back... The problem is he's loving it.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old July 14th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Yeoman

I'm sure of it.........I bet he didn't expect anything different. Hey, when is Luanne getting back? Any idea?

Old July 14th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Admiral

She's on the Conquest. 7 day cruise that leaves on Sundays. She should be getting back Sat or Sun. Not sure.

Old July 14th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

You guys are amazing.... Keeping this thread going the way you did...Rescuedad is gonna eat it up!!!

OK SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... he never showed up to the meet & greet.... BUT, I did meet him and Mrs Rescuedad....

BUT...... I'm going to let him fill in the rest....

I'll report back after he does.....
Old July 15th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine515
You guys are amazing.... Keeping this thread going the way you did...Rescuedad is gonna eat it up!!!

OK SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... he never showed up to the meet & greet.... BUT, I did meet him and Mrs Rescuedad....

BUT...... I'm going to let him fill in the rest....

I'll report back after he does.....
I'm back!
Old July 15th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Captain

Welcome back Rescuedad,

We want to hear all about your trip!!!! So rest a few minutes, then start writing.

Libragirl (Mary)
Old July 15th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Admiral

Default The return of Rescuedad!

Well good job on keeping the thread going guys! first I will give you my thoughts on my first cruise and for a change will be on a serious note because I did not experience some of the good and bad things I have read about cruising. so here it goes this could be a long post!

Got home at 9am on the 10th and had to finish packing and pack the car, no problems there. took a liesurely drive to miami. Had the booze packed in our checked luggage(enough) to enjoy in our room and on our balcony.
I brought a 18 pack of Budweiser and 2 filled water bottles of rum and tequila the wife brought 2 bottles of wine. I knew our friends would be there so made sure I brought enough for everyone and also in case we hooked up with anyone else soooo I felt that was sufficient. I did not walk around the boat with our drinks, I did purchase drinks on the boat. I would say I came back with half the booze I brought. Got to the port and was immediately met by a baggage guy. Here's where I got nervous regarding the booze, wondering if I was gonna get checked but the guy said the bags will be in my room when I get there! Next since I was there with friends who booked a regular room I wanted to see if this VIP check in was anything to rave about. I said to my friend I will go throught the VIP process and you do it the regular way soooo at the end as we got to the entrance to the boat my friends were 4 people in line behind us soooo the VIP check-in means nothing as I can see but the whole process was very smooth and quicker than I expected. I started to think about how I was worried about the booze but I started to think I could have carried it in on top of my head and no one would have cared! Got to our room U103 PH suite. Nice room,looks bigger on the website than it really is. After seeing the other types of cabins I am 60/40 on whether I need that again regarding the cost but the balcony was nice. I read that the balcony had plexiglass covering bars but the balcony wall is solid steel with a rail about 9" above it so it was good because the little guys heads reached to the opening and they can look out. the rule on the balcony was either feet on the floor or butt in a chair at all times and the kids unbelievably adhered to it! waited for the muster drill ohh wait i forgot but I put the beer in the fridge it took 2 days to get cold. also, the beds I had heard were all new on carnival and they were the best I have ever slept on on any vacation ever! they give a pamphlet where you can buy the beds and sheets and stuff and I almost considered buying a comforter so sleeping was great and carnival needs to be praised because not sleeping in my own bed is always a problem! Waitied for the muster drill which was not much of a hassle but guess you have to do it. after this is when we were supposed to meet Elaine! Verandah deck aft bar! Ok I we went up there and there was about 30 people up there, kids played in the hot tub while I searched and searched for someone with a walmart bag. no such luck also there was a bar but it was closed so I walked around for a while on the verandah and lido deck looking for a woman with a walmart bag no dice so I started thinking maybe people say they are going to meet and once they board they never do. So it turns out I went to play poker that night and a few guys were at the table and heard a guy with a NY accent and asked if his name was Doug and he said yes so this is how I found them. Elaine was great and even gave us coupons that we used in KW and Doug and I played poker a few times. He's a good player and was fun at the table even though he beat me with pocket Aces to my pocket kings in like a $100 pot :evil: but that happens. I get the impression he, like myself would rather play no-limit but this is all the boat offers. We happened to meet them at the buffett one night and we sat and talked for a while had some good convo but my wife and I had talked about some activity she wanted to do on the boat earlier and had to cut our visit short with Elaine and Doug, very nice people though!
so to shorten this up a bit I'll say that I would have to catagorize the rest of the cruise as most enjoyable and least enjoyable depending on whether or not the kids were with us at the time. a 5 and 7 yo, i think, are a tough age to bring on a cruise. it seemed the only enjoyable time I had was in the evening when they were in camp for an extended time.
Food: could be better but I was disappointed, and the midnight buffett??? Pizza that was it! Then prime rib at the reg buffett the first night and then 3 straight days of virginia ham! Went to formal night I actually enjoyed it and stayed dressed up the rest of the night, of course the kids were in camp so it was good.
excursions: KW, great even though it was drizzling. cozumel disappointing it is destroyed from the hurricane still. The beauty of the island is gone for now.
ship activities: I was all hyped up for a big party atmosphere and it wasn't there very much. enjoyed the raggae band next to the pool while they were there which wasnt much. I expected music like that around the pool all the time and if carnival wants to sell more drinks they should do that. the trivia contests on the boat=corny, unless they did it around the pool those were fun and it was where I got in trouble, thanks to mr Budweiser, cause I was yelling out answers and making fun of the people who said some wrong answers. It was similiar to the kidding we do on here so I was able to let my personality come out. If elaine was there she would have seen the rescuedad you have come to know and love. the only days of sun we had were the first and last day of our cruise which was disappointing cause I like to layout but this was not the fault of the line.
Camp carnival: to many breaks. It seemed we were constantly dropping off and picking up. I'll tell you I could have done without the excursions if I could have kept them in camp all day where they wanted to be.
So all in all it was ok but my wish of taking a vacation kind of seperate from my kids wasn't completely fulfilled. So I may stick to 3 day cruises if we are bringing the kids for the next couple of years till they are easier to deal with. and if we can get away we will take a 7 dayer but that one might be a while. some friends did suggest though that a bigger ship would be better and others said RCI is more a party like atmosphere. I would also prefer more sea days than more excursions. so any questions I can go into more detail!! ohh and I leave for NY in about 10 days for another vacation so coming home off the cruise didn't feel so sad cause I knew I was taking another vacation!! Elaine I will email you!
Old July 15th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Admiral

Well! my little friend REDZONE! I see you have been a busy little beaver while I was gone! I caught the pictures in the gallery. very resourceful. Well I guess I deserve it because I kinda put you in charge of the thread while I was gone so I will laugh this one off. But, as you know I am back and you will take your proper place behind me 3 steps and one step to the right. You will treat me as only a king should be treated! For now I am one of you, a cruiser. My opinions, observations and comments all come with experience now and they will be respected! So, I know you felt overworked and spent hours thinking of the right things to say to keep criscomia on the floor, things that come naturally to me. So until the 26th I will take over the reigns and keep all my little girl groupies happy bringing joy and aggravation into their lives! And unless Elaine( the big gambler, hey Elaine I didn't know they made 5 cent slots) tells you i'm handsome and witty she's probably lying!
Old July 16th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Yeoman

Default What no Walmart bags..

Hey Rescue glad you made it back. We had our doubts but I figured your excessive training would pull you through. I read your review , and I am concerned. I am wondering if there is not midnight buffets anymore because with your review and on my last cruise there was no midnight buffet either. Also you made the comment, "Nice room,looks bigger on the website than it really is. After seeing the other types of cabins I am 60/40 on whether I need that again regarding the cost but the balcony was nice."I have the penthouse on the sensation 1/21 , and I was wondering how you liked your cabin.It seeems you liked it but it was smaller.I guess there was plenty of room when you were on the lifeboat. I tried to keep the thread moving per your request . I had alot of help.So whats this I hear, "No Elaine and no Walmart bag".

Well I am happy to hear you enjoyed your cruise.

So how did the suit fit?

Victory 12/2004
Triumph 10/2005
Victory 06/2006
CELEBRATION 12/2006
SENSATION 01/2007
Liberty 05/2007
Victory 10/ 2007
Spirit 12/2007
Imagination 5/2008

Miracle 12/2008 PLATINUM (Aft Suite)
Back 2 Back
Imagination 12/2008
Old July 16th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

OK, Now wait a minute.... Elaine was there with the Walmart Bag but Joe was a no-show as well as the other family we were suppose to meet... BUT... all is not lost...

My daughter went to the 12-14 year old Meet N Greet the first night and met Jordan. Jordan was part of the other family that was suppose to meet but didn't and they were emailing back & forth for weeks prior to cruising so it worked out great.

As Joe already said, he was playing at the Texas Hold Em table and as it figures, he just opened up and said "Is anyone here named Doug"" (now how many people would actually do that????) soooooooooo we did get to meet after all....

Now let me tell you about Joe.... I know you guys are going to find this EXTREMELY HARD TO BELIEVE.... but he is really quite nice, almost normal, very pleasant, friendly and yes, he is nice looking!!! And, here's something really funny..... Joe Jr is definitely a chip off the ole block... Joe Jr is 14 years old and met my daughter the first night of the cruise. He told her his name was Joey, he lived in Wellington and "I am wealthy"!!!.... Sounds like something dad would do/say huh guys????

Needless to say, I better watch this one because by the end of the cruise, Joey Jr gave my daughter his telephone #.... (anyone wanna call Joe???)

Oh, and yes, I did meet Mrs Rescuedad who seemed quite normal and told me that she has indeed read the thread?????

Overall, Mr & Mrs Rescuedad were very nice, we got to chat with them and see Joe a few times throughout the week and had a great time....

Elaine
Old July 16th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Admiral

Joe jr ( joey we call him) The big wealthy casanova??? Us blue collar parents are so wealthy!! I asked him about how wealthy he was, and he said he was! I said let me see all your money, which he had none! I'll tell you who's wealthy!! DOUG!! He took down my kings!! but luckily have since tripled what my losses were since I got back playing NO_LIMIT online so now I am way up! I get the feeling Doug and I are on the same wave length regarding that BS game called limit poker! And he did win 500 at the BJ table! (Hope Elaine knew about this or i have just broken a man law). Elaine I'll give you my house if my son ever calls your daughter! He is a little behind in the girl dept! Ahem.... unlike his daddy was at that age! My mommy use to call me a little Don Juan! Anyhow ,going out to dinner tonight so I'll be back tommorrow.
Old July 17th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Yeoman

Hey Rescue and Elaine what do you take us for? What I really think is that beings Rescue is so WEALTHY he hired an imposter to pose as him.
He also paid Elaine off with nickles so she could play the slots. She had a walmart bag sure, it was full of Rescues nickles. We know the truth now. I am supprised that Mrs. Rescue found it in her heart to release Rescue from the duct tape. Elaine "tisk tisk".

Victory 12/2004
Triumph 10/2005
Victory 06/2006
CELEBRATION 12/2006
SENSATION 01/2007
Liberty 05/2007
Victory 10/ 2007
Spirit 12/2007
Imagination 5/2008

Back 2 Back
Imagination 12/2008
Old July 17th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Admiral

Ahhh... *kicks back and laughs* NOW this feels like home again. Welcome back from your cruise rescuedad and Elaine. I'm glad you were able to meet up and had fun together. Hmmm.. Mrs. rescue is nice AND normal. I'll have to revise my thoughts. She's definitely a saint. *waves to Mrs. rescue*

Elaine - Are you going to post your review? Two points of views from the same cruise please.

rescuedad - My cruise was on a large ship and they only had the midnight buffet on one night for the 7 day cruise. I walked through it but didn't eat. I was still full from dinner. Sorry about the not so much sun but at least you weren't fried. OHHH! You actually enjoyed formal night. I knew the Mrs. would hook you up. hahaha Joey the babe magnet. HAHAA Where did he learn that???

Both of you,, I hope you'll also post pictures. Do you have a picture of all four of you together? Seeing is believing you know... hahahaha

Old July 17th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Passenger

i was wondering what deck is better for non-movement and is the view blocked by the life boats?

Leaving on the Conquest in July 07

thank you

img]/countdown.php?month=07&year=2007&day=08&hour=16:00[/img]
Old July 17th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Passenger

how come clock didnt work?

img]/countdown.php?month=07&year=2007&day=8&hour=16:00[/img]
Old July 17th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere
how come clock didnt work?

img]/countdown.php?month=07&year=2007&day=8&hour=16:00[/img]
Rere
the first box img] should look like this[img]

Then it will look like this
[img]/countdown.php?month=07&year=2007&day=8&hour=16:00[/img]

No Rescue I have not booked another cruise

Victory 12/2004
Triumph 10/2005
Victory 06/2006
CELEBRATION 12/2006
SENSATION 01/2007
Liberty 05/2007
Victory 10/ 2007
Spirit 12/2007
Imagination 5/2008

Back 2 Back
Imagination 12/2008
Old July 17th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Passenger

Thank you,

will try again with clock, any suggestions on which deck would be good for sea sick people that what a nice view.

[img]/countdown.php?month=07&year=2007&day=08&hour=16:00[/img]
Old July 17th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Yeoman

Try to stay toward middle of ship . It doesn't move as much, I would talk to your doc he might have an idea to help you. I use transaderm patch.

Victory 12/2004
Triumph 10/2005
Victory 06/2006
CELEBRATION 12/2006
SENSATION 01/2007
Liberty 05/2007
Victory 10/ 2007
Spirit 12/2007
Imagination 5/2008

Back 2 Back
Imagination 12/2008
Old July 17th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Admiral

I'm one of those lucky people who don't need to worry about seasickness but do talk to your doctor.

We were mid-ship on the Empress deck. We didn't feel much movement except for one night. Then it wasn't bad at all. YAY!! Your clock is working now.

Old July 17th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Passenger

thank you.

will look at conquest now.

[img]/countdown.php?month=07&year=2007&day=08&hour=16:00[/img]
Old July 17th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Admiral

The only time I felt boat movement was in the straight between cozumel and the mainland of mexico. otherwise I could not tell the boat was rocking unless I looked out a window. ohh wait..... that's right I am wealthy I didn't have a window I had a balcony!

humbling myself a little her by saying this but I am very sensitive to movement. If i go on a merry go round I am out of commision for the day I can't spin around 3 times without getting sick and I had no trouble on the boat!
Old July 17th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Yeoman

Welcome back rescuedad and Elaine.......you were both really missed, but as you can see, Dina and redzone really kept us intertained.
Elaine.......I can't believe he is really normal.

Old July 17th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuedad
The only time I felt boat movement was in the straight between cozumel and the mainland of mexico. otherwise I could not tell the boat was rocking unless I looked out a window. ohh wait..... that's right I am wealthy I didn't have a window I had a balcony!

humbling myself a little her by saying this but I am very sensitive to movement. If i go on a merry go round I am out of commision for the day I can't spin around 3 times without getting sick and I had no trouble on the boat!
HAHAHA Your weathy... RIGHT! Good thing you didn't have any trouble on the ship. You know we would have made fun of you.

Old July 17th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by criscomia
Welcome back rescuedad and Elaine.......you were both really missed, but as you can see, Dina and redzone really kept us intertained.
Elaine.......I can't believe he is really normal.
Define normal?
Old July 17th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Admiral

That is a loaded question. Considering all the stuff we post here. I wouldn't put any of us in the "normal" line.

Old July 17th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Admiral

Okay guys lets be serious for just a sec and then we can get back to the fun! I need help!. I (we) are thinking of another cruise, a short 3 dayer in Oct. and then I want to book next summers cruise. I am thinking about RCCL for the 3 dayer i think its the enchantment of the seas 88,000 ton boat so, similiar to the fascination. Then for the summer I am looking at one of the mega ships and this time a 7 day cruise. so i am going to list what I am looking for in a cruise some of which I either got or didn't get on the Fascination. So can anyone compare:

Kid camps on board- on carnival the kids seemed to be with us more than they werent except for the evenings but this may be due to taking a 5 day which is really 4 day cruise with only one sea day.

Food- a little disappointed with the food on my ship how bout RCCL

party atmosphere_- would like to have seen more entertainment around the pool ie: music. I had to use my ipod just to get this except for the short time for 2 of the days that a raggae band came out.

Not being bothered for drinks every 30 seconds- this was wheremy ipod came in handy cause I couldn't hear them asking and kept my eyes closed. my friend was livid about this though while he was trying to read.

also price, it seems RCCL is a little more expensive than carnival. for instance I recieved a PH suite on ccl where the same cost would get me an ocean view on RCCL.

I am not negative on carnival. I think my 6 mo anticipation and chatting on these boards hyped the whole cruise thing up a bit so I think after a second or third cruise is when I will be able to judge whether or not cruising is the greatest experience on earth or not. Of course the experience of someone traveling with little kids cannot compare with say just a couple going together so I am looking for an unbiased opinion of the 2 lines without playing favorites. any thoughts? I am also going to post this on the RCCL thread. Thanx

which is more of a party atmosphere and why?
Old July 17th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Admiral

Sorry rescuedad. I'm no help for you on this at all. I've only been on a 7 day cruise with just my DH. No kids and it had only two days at sea but we chose it for exactly that. My DH wanted to see as many islands as possible. As for the guys stopping by to ask if you want drinks, I think thats standard on Carnival from everything I've read and what I experienced. Its where they make their money. I read some people were upset because they weren't coming by as much as they thought they should as well.

A couple I know like to go on RCCL because there are much less announcements and it was quiet. They could lay out and read without all of the "noise" of the games or bands. On my cruise, there was a band out on the Lido deck every night. Maybe its a difference in cruise directors. I just don't know.

Old July 17th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Admiral

Hi rescuedad,

Also consider Princess. On our last Princess cruise there was plenty of entertainment around the pool. The bar servers were around, but not obnoxious about asking if you wanted a drink.

I think you'll find the children's program pretty similar on all ships. They all close for meals (I think) except for port days.

We enjoyed our Carnival cruises, but we really like "Anytime Dining" on Princess.

RCCL may be too "sedate" for you.

Just a suggestion...

Edited to say: If you cruise with DTW on RCCL you'll have a great time, no matter what!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 17th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Admiral

To sedate for me!! let me tell you something sister I am the king of partying with myself! all I need is my ipod with some Hendrix blasting or maybe some jimmy buffett or Bob Marley helping me drink and I'm grooving all alone. when there was no band playing (which was often) I was rockin. People looking at me lying on my lounger rockin and stomping my feet spilling my $7 LI iced tea. people laying around doing nothing knew I was having fun. 2 20ish yo girls asked me what I was listening to that I was having such a good time and they said yea I forgot my ipod
Closed Thread