Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2006, 08:01 AM
First Mate

Default Why it is so uncool to wear a helmet on a motorcycle

Now the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback is injured and who knows what this has done to his career.
Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2006, 08:40 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Eaky77

It's nuts, I think there should be a helmet law in every state..... then again, they are the idiots who choose not to wear it. I've actually seen a guy on his motorcycle with his kid (who had to be 8 or 10) on the back, no helmets on either one. My father put the fear of God into me about them, and I won't ride on one. At least if your gonna do it, take some responsability!!!!

Erin
09-24-06 Destiny
10-02-05 Valor My favorite yet!
10-23-04 Triumph (Honeymoon of my dreams)
12-24-94 Holiday
Old June 13th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Admiral

They call them "Brain Buckets" for a good reason. You have to have one to realize you need one.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old June 13th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I rode a bike for many years and always wore a "brain bucket". No matter how good of rider you are, at some point you are going to lay the bike down or have an accident and that helmet can be the difference between a bump and something major. Also, todays helmets aren't the hot, heavy, blinding and sound proofing ones of yesteryear.

Having said that: I believe if the rider decides they don't want to wear the helmet then it's up to them and they need to pay the consequences. Those consequences are higher insurance rates, medical bills, the use of their mental and physical abilities and most all, their lives.

BTW: Ever seen a motorcycle racer without one?

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 13th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Coming from a state that has a helmet law, in Florida last week, watching these people wiz by with none, scared me silly.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 13th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Admiral

DH has a bike. We live in a state with Helmet Laws, but would never dream of riding without them.
Old June 13th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Admiral

It was really a stupid move on his part. He not only did damage to himself but could have done damage to the organization who is paying him enough to afford one of the expensive ones. He better be beholdin' to those folks who might be paying his medical bills and providing him the career he has been given.
Lynne

Ruby Princess
Old June 13th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Yeoman

Default Why is it so uncool to wear a helmet

Here in Ma. we have a helmet law; just over the border in N.H. they don't have a helmet law. (live free or die) is the license plate motto.
Last weekend was bike weekend in Laconia, N.H. Seven motorcylists were headed there when one crossed the line and hit a Jeep Cherokee. They all piled up, three dead, many others hurt. It could happen to anyone and I thoroughly understand why they hate to wear helmets, but they sure need them.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old June 13th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Admiral

Super rich NFL quarterbacks aside, the average under insured Joe who suffers severe brain injury from riding without a helmet, doesn't really suffer the financial consequences himself. Usually you and I as taxpayers wind up footing the bills, which can last a lifetime and be very extensive. SSI disability payments to such idiots can easily run to $500,000 or more. And long term hospitalization and rehab are reflected in higher insurance rates and taxes for all of us. (when a severely brain injured uninsured person comes in, they don't throw him out on the street. They take care of him and the costs are passed on to us.
So, yeah, I think the law should require the wearing of helmets, and the fine for failure to do it should be heavy.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old June 14th, 2006, 01:06 AM
Admiral

I cannot think of a better way to "thin the herd" a bit. No sympathies here.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old June 14th, 2006, 01:56 AM
Admiral

This is how you stay safe and cool at the same time.

I still have this Helmet and it cost me $900.
The usual rule in getting one is....
"If you buy a $200 helmet you have a $200 head. If you buy a $1000 helmet you have a $1000 head."

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old June 14th, 2006, 10:17 AM
First Mate

While I think its stupid to ride a bike without one I think it’s even stupider and intrusive to pass laws to protect the Darwin Award candidates in our society. It's called personal freedom people.

I'll never understand how someone, who has absolutely no dog in the fight, can stand up and cry out for a law that forces another person to change how they do things to placate the benevolent minded do-gooder. All hail the nanny state where the intelligentsia know how you should be living your life and aren’t afraid to force you to toe the line at the barrel of a gun.

Maybe we should pass a law that it always sunny and never rains on the weekend while were writing up laws to make the world our own Utopia. How about everybody is required to wear bubble wrap suits and ride bicycles. That would reduce highway deaths.

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old June 14th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell in MD
I'll never understand how someone, who has absolutely no dog in the fight, can stand up and cry out for a law that forces another person to change how they do things to placate the benevolent minded do-gooder. All hail the nanny state where the intelligentsia know how you should be living your life and aren’t afraid to force you to toe the line at the barrel of a gun.
As a society we all have a dog in the fight. Those who would not wear the helmets or wear the prescribed safety devices in any conveyance save for penalty of law would cause a burden on our legal and medical systems and increase the already inflated auto insurance rates. Your libertarian views would work in a perfect world, however, like most strict ideologies it fails in an imperfect world. Can we go too far? Absolutely. But it is reasonable to insist on certain safeguards and standards to be legislated. If all of the laws manadating vehicular safety were abandoned the carnage would be consderable. I prefer reasonable over none.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old June 14th, 2006, 04:53 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell in MD
While I think its stupid to ride a bike without one I think it’s even stupider and intrusive to pass laws to protect the Darwin Award candidates in our society. It's called personal freedom people.

Maybe we should pass a law that it always sunny and never rains on the weekend while were writing up laws to make the world our own Utopia. How about everybody is required to wear bubble wrap suits and ride bicycles. That would reduce highway deaths.
I suppose you hate seatbelt laws they are mandatory. I heard an interview that he had done after Kelen Winslow was hurt on a motorcycle, Ben had said he won't wear a helmet because in Pa. he doesn't have to.
Old June 14th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Russell in Md wrote: "I'll never understand how someone, who has absolutely no dog in the fight, can stand up and cry out for a law that forces another person to change how they do things to placate the benevolent minded do-gooder. All hail the nanny state where the intelligentsia know how you should be living your life and aren’t afraid to force you to toe the line at the barrel of a gun."

Wow Russell, where to start? In a prior life I was a U.S. Administrative law judge who handled many cases of brain injured idiot motor cycle riders who refused to wear a helmet and who felt just as you do. I was forced by law to dole out to them millions in taxpayer's money so they could receive SSI disability for life. Still think we don't have a dog in the fight? Nonsense! The legislature in PA repealed a mandatory helmet law just as the legislature did here in Colorado. Now maybe they will have the good sense to reinstate it.

If some moron wants to kill himself on a bike, that's OK by me, but if he fails to get the job done, I don't want to pay for his idiocy.

And by the way, just how far do you take your aversion to the "nanny state?" Are you opposed to seat belts? How about hydraulic brakes? Soft dashboards and collapsible steering columns? What about sprinkler systems in hotels, fire retardant materials, and fire alarms? How about life boats on cruise ships? Come on now, be consistent.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old June 14th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Admiral

Here in Quebec, helmets are mandatory. Pointe finale.

donna
Old June 14th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Yeoman

Well Rich, I consider your reply a home run !

Regards,
Ben
Old June 15th, 2006, 03:57 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I could have not said it better Rich! As a nurse,having to take care of these idiots who value freedom over their health, why should MY hard earned tax dollars go to pay for these idiots? Wear the helmet and be covered for any injuries....don't wear the helmet and bear the brunt of your stupidity yourself. Simple. Don't ask me to pay for your idiocy. State and Federal laws should be changed to reflect this. I don't care if you are rich or poor or middle class............ride without a helmet, YOU pay the price, not the taxpayers!
Old June 15th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Admiral

Being from Pittsburgh, this has been our top story all week. It turns out that Ben was required to wear a helmet as he was a new rider. I believe the law states you must wear a helmet during your first two years of riding. Ben was released from the hospital last night and will recoup at home. He is one very lucky kid!
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old June 15th, 2006, 09:07 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy
If some moron wants to kill himself on a bike, that's OK by me, but if he fails to get the job done, I don't want to pay for his idiocy.

And by the way, just how far do you take your aversion to the "nanny state?" Are you opposed to seat belts? How about hydraulic brakes? Soft dashboards and collapsible steering columns? What about sprinkler systems in hotels, fire retardant materials, and fire alarms? How about life boats on cruise ships? Come on now, be consistent.
Well maybe we should start by not doling out millions of dollars to Darwin Award winners.

Seat belt laws I could care less about. I wear mine and was wearing it long before there was a law. If you don’t want to wear yours fine just don’t expect me to shed a tear when you get ejected and find yourself impaled on a road sign.

Fire alarms and other things are measures put in place for my safety to protect me from things that happen that are out of my control. Wearing a seat belt or a helmet are things that are within my control and are my responsibility.

Stupidity should be painful, even deadly in some circumstances.

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old June 15th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Admiral

But you missed the point entirely. My post about the lifetime disability payments didn't even touch on the huge amounts of tax money and increased insurance premiums the public has to pay to cover the medical bills for these brain injured dopes who think they have a "right" not to wear helmets. The point is that we all DO have a "dog in the fight." We all have a personal financial interest in laws that require that motorcycle riders wear helmets.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old June 15th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Captain

my husband and i have a friend who was in a motorcycle accident
and not wearing a helmet before the accident my husband told me he
was a very educatted person senice the accident hes not the same
mentally and has physical handicaped he is the nice person so you can see
what happen if you don't wear a helment
Old June 15th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Admiral

paddletoe53 said:

Quote:
my husband and i have a friend who was in a motorcycle accident
and not wearing a helmet before the accident my husband told me he
was a very educatted person senice the accident hes not the same
mentally and has physical handicaped he is the nice person so you can see
what happen if you don't wear a helment
What else does anyone need to know? Wear a helmet.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old June 16th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Passenger

My GF is an O.R. nurse here in Boston. We both agree that not wearing a helmet will increase the burden on the taxpayer, and thus is not a decision that effects no one but the rider themselves. On the plus side, she notes that there are more organ donations courtesy of riders who abstain from wearing the proper head protection.
Old June 16th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Yeoman

In Florida a motorcyclist has to have $10,000 of insurance if he/she is to ride without a helmet. He/she must also be 21 or older.
The law was passed by our benevolent governor, Jeb Bush, in 2000.

He said: "I believe government oversteps its legitimate role when it excessively interferes with personal freedom." He went on to say: "We have no laws requiring an individual to exercise, to eat a healthy diet, to get regular checkups or to avoid excess exposure to the sun - even though failure to comply with these habits reflects known health risks and potential public health costs. . . . Of course, we could significantly reduce deaths, injuries or health risks in Florida through a mandate that all individuals exercise, wear sunscreen, stop smoking and learn to swim; yet we impose no such requirements."
Old June 16th, 2006, 04:51 PM
First Mate

[
Quote:
quote="richstacy"]
In a prior life I was a U.S. Administrative law judge who handled many cases of brain injured idiot motor cycle riders who refused to wear a helmet and who felt just as you do. ]

wow, harsh! I'm glad I didn't have a case before you! People make stupid decisions every day that affect all of us but we count on the courts for fairness and equality.
Old June 16th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Admiral

Desdemona01, with all due respect, you don't know anything about the way I handled these cases. I handed out millions of dollars of your money to these guys, all of whom had suffered such severe brain injury that they were no longer able to work, due to lack of coordination or loss of intellect, or both. More than one of them told me that he (they were all males) was an idiot for riding without a helmet and that he would give anything to be able to do it over again. I felt nothing but sadness and compassion for them, but they were indeed "idiots" for riding without a helmet. I never met another ALJ who felt otherwise (though there were some who did not share my compassion).
I had a dual duty, not only to the injured riders who were claiming disability, but to protect the public purse, i.e. your money. I was probably pretty much of a soft touch and didn't do too good a job of the latter.
Now what precisely was your problem?

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08