Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Admiral

Default Caribbean Princess Review, Part 8

Caribbean Princess, Part 8
Wednesday, May 31. Leaving St. Maarten

After dragging ourselves reluctantly back onto the ship at 4 p.m., we got cleaned up and headed down to the dining room around 6:00 for an early dinner because we wanted to get seats early in the Explorer's Lounge for Bert's show later in the evening. Normally he performs on the Promenade deck in the open, pass- through Crooner's Lounge, but on Wednesday night, he is scheduled in the much bigger Explorer's Lounge for a really big show. We had convinced Tracie and John to come see Bert with us that evening, but had neglected to make plans to meet for dinner. Consequently, we were joined that night at "our " table, by two older women, travelling friends from California. One of them was very quiet, but the other was a very friendly, talkative world traveller and experienced cruiser, and we enjoyed hearing her stories. Shortly after we were served, Tracie and John came in and were seated at a nearby table, and we talked to them before we left to arrange saving them a seat in the lounge when they were finished their dinner.
James and I were two of the first people in the lounge and we found 4 seats in the front row, where I sat and talked for awhile to the lady I had met in the gift shop buying a birthday gift for Bert. Joanne was a talented crafts person and had made a beautiful decorated plate for Bert's sister Sarah, a beautiful young woman with Down's Syndrome who wore a Princess tiara on her head the entire week on the cruise. Joanne presented the plate to Sarah who was thrilled ! Joanne also told me that when she returned to the ship with her gift for Bert, which was a fragile blown glass musical note wrapped in a box, the check-in staff made her put it through the X-Ray machine and broke it! Joanne had tried to fix it with craft glue, but she was just devastated. How disappointing!

Meanwhile, Tracie and John joined us about 8:30, and Tracie told us a funny story about our wonderful waiter Rodel. When Tracie couldn’t decide which of the 4 delectable treats to choose for dessert, Rodel brought her one of each – and she ate them all !

Our new friends had come to Bert’s show on our recommendation, and they were not disappointed! Bert arrived, greeted his family members in the reserved seating area, and jumped right into his show. From the get-go, Bert had his audience in the palm of his hand, and it was an absolutely wonderful, manic, musical extravaganza for an hour and a half, including his amazing feat of downing a 1.5 litre bottle of water all in one gulp! He received a well deserved standing ovation from the entire Explorer's Lounge, and from all the people standing out in the Promenade.

Afterwards, Bert met with all his fans, signed CDs and DVDs, and posed for pictures with everyone who wanted one. Of course we did!

Us with Bert

John and Tracie with Bert.

Bert hugged us like old friends, and apologized to me for forgetting to sing the Bee Gee songs (he'd promised me a "Two-fer", two songs by the same artist), and promised that he would do them tomorrow night in the Crooner's Lounge. I had no doubt that he would!
Before leaving, we made sure that we made plans to meet up with Tracie and John for the second Formal Night Dinner tomorrow night, and then we headed off to bed, too tired for any more night life!

to be continued....

donna
Old June 14th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Beginner

Default Hat's off to you.

Donna - I have tremendously enjoyed your review. I can't wait each morning to check in and see the new installment.

We leave Saturday for our second cruise on the Caribbean Princess and your review leading up to our leaving has made the anticipation so much higher.

thanks so much for taking the time to write this.

Tammy
Old June 14th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Keep them coming!

Hey Donna Girl...love the cartoon...your pictures are once again...GREAT!

Seems like you enjoyed Bert as much as we did!

Gosh, I wish you would have taken a B2B Cruise...don't want these reviews to stop!

One month ago today, we were in St. Maarten! I want to go back!

Old June 14th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Admiral

Tammy, thank you for the kind words. I can just imagine your anticipation!
Hopefully, I'll be able to finish my reviews before you leave.
Do me a favour? When you see Bert onboard, tell him Donna from Montreal sent you!

And Merry, I too wish I had done a back to back! If I'd known how wonderful it would be, I certainly would have! And just 2 weeks ago today, I was in St. Maarten...

donna
Old June 14th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Beginner

Default Bert

Donna - I will pass on the message.
Old June 14th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Donna:

Is there any way to get in touch with Bert?

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 15th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Yes, you need to take longer cruises. The review and pix are wonderful. Tell James that you'd be letting your fans down if you didn't cruise at least 40 days a year.
Old June 15th, 2006, 02:15 AM
Admiral

Belgique, I like your thinking!

Mike, yes, Bert has a website: www.bertstratton.com
Here, his fans or anyone who is interested in hearing him, can download a few of his songs, performances, and buy CDs and DVDs.
Check him out, he's truly wonderful!

donna
Old June 15th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Admiral

I wish Bert had been on our 2004 CB Princess--boo hoo--he was away resting after having survived two hurricane cruises already. Ours was Jeanne!

Lynne

Ruby Princess