Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 17th, 2006, 08:07 AM
First Mate

Default Residents of Louisiana I have a question for you

Is it true that if a person is a resident of Louisiana and they go to a public Louisiana college then there tution is paid for by the state. We are moving before the beginning of August and we can also move to Mississippi or Baton Rouge. I am really pushing for Baton Rouge and I believe if this is true I can convince my wife (whom already has a job offer in Baton Rouge) to move there. My older son already has his education paid off thru the Texas Tomorrow Fund (though he is going to OU) but I will sacrifice my dream of both my boys going to OU if I can get the younger ones tution paid for.
Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Admiral

Not exactly ..there is what is called TOPS which is a tuition reimbursement program for gradutes of Louisiana high schools who elect to go to school in state

I'm not on top of it because my son went to the Air Force Academy so I didn't have to worry about those types of issues (thank God)

My suggestion is to go to the LSU website and look under financial aid for further information

Good luck and if I find out more information I'll let you know, but I'm sure someone else will have the most correct information
Old June 17th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Captain

TOPS is a program for students with a 3.5 or better average in high school, if my memory serves me correctly. Our girls both used it but they've been out of college for a few years now and I know the legislature has tinkered with the program some. It is a favorite whipping boy when the budget gets tight, they always try to eliminate it but thankfully have not succeeded.

As Venice said, try going to the state website and you should be able to find something on it. And while you're doing research, you may want to check out housing costs in B.R. Since the hurricane the population there exploded and housing has been scarce and expensive. Or so I'm told. I live near Alexandria which is about 120 miles north of B.R.

Good luck.
Old June 17th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Admiral

so if you move to Baton Rouge and your son goes to LSU will you change your screen name to
LSUTigerfanlouisiana ? (smile)

Magnolia Blossom is right on..the housing cost in the Baton Rouge area has sky rocketed due to post Katrina..you may want to live for housing in the Hammond area
Old June 18th, 2006, 09:35 AM
First Mate

[quote="venice"]so if you move to Baton Rouge and your son goes to LSU will you change your screen name to
LSUTigerfanlouisiana ? (smile)

No I will be ousoonerfaninlouisiana or ousoonerfaninmississippi

Next week I have an interview in Baton Rouge but I am going to check out apartments in Port Allen my wife will be working in Plaquemine.