Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2006, 04:44 AM
Captain

Default Lyme disease

Well, I have been up since 1 AM. Yes AM! My son has the lyme infection. If you live in the lyme areas, be diligant to check because the suffering is hard to take. Watching a little one suffer is the pits.
It got on the back of his head/ upper neck area where you can't see well through the hair. The thing is so tiny. Only the head was left. He must have scratched the body off. We will be keeping his hair very short now.

I feel for anyone who goes through long term sickness with a child.

Karen
Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2006, 06:29 AM
Admiral

Karen -
I cant imagine how horrible it is when your child has this disease. My mom bought a puppy from CT and found out it had Lymes, they werent even sure if it would live through it. She did pull thru, but had lots of permanent side effects from it.

im sure with humans, the Drs are on top of the treatment plans.... and he will be running & pkaying in no time...

keep us posted, take care !

Steph
Old June 21st, 2006, 09:15 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Karen:

Now; That sucks. Stay with the treatment course and know I'm thinking the best for him and you.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 21st, 2006, 09:25 AM
Admiral

Karen, I'm so sorry to hear that about your little guy! It sounds like you caught it early, and hopefully sticking to the treatment plan will hasten his recovery along. My prayers are with you.

Phyll
Old June 21st, 2006, 11:23 PM
Admiral

Karen, how did you know what it was? Signs and symptoms? Just curious, because a co-worker today showed me marks that did not look like mosquito or black fly bites, and she had been up north (country) this past weekend., lying in the grass.

donna
Old June 22nd, 2006, 10:26 AM
Admiral

Donna - It all starts with a tick bite. If your friend got bitten by a tick,you would know it. They bury their heads into the skin and their body is visible as it fills up with blood. Removing the entire tick is the key- especially the head.
Lyme disease symptons usually start with a reddish rash that looks like a bullseye. Flu like symptons also are a sign. Blood tests are needed to confirm the presense of this disease.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 08:18 PM
Captain

Hi,
Thanks for the kind words. Poor little Ryan has had four doctor appointments since Monday. He had a fever, vomiting and cried from the pain in his neck and head. We thought it might be meningitis. He would scream when anyone would touch his head. He looked like someone wearing a neck brace because he wouldn't move his head but does much more now. He says the pain comes and goes.
The doctor did blood work and the white blood cell count was normal so they did not want to do a spinal tap for meningitis.
My husband was looking at his scalp and saw the remains of the tick and we shaved his hair to find the bullseye mark. Sure enough it was there. It disappeared the next day so Doc says we must have caught it in the very early stages. I can see how it can be ignored because it is like having the flu.
His lymph nodes are like marbles and we think that is what caused the pain in his back of head and neck.
I go back in one week to have the lymph nodes checked.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:49 PM
Admiral

Actually, you wouldn't necessarily know if you were bitten by a tick. If you have ever seen the ticks that carry Lyme (typically deer ticks) they are tiny - no bigger than the head of a pin.

It's awful easy to overlook them. The good news is they tend to itch, so you might know to look for something.

Since we do lots of camping, I am always on the lookout for deer ticks. A complete and thorough check, especially in certain areas:

1. anywhere there is elastic (around waistbands especially)
2. on your legs (they often crawl from the ground up)
3. around your hairline (most ticks don't like being deep in your hair - they like "clean" areas with no oil).

Karen, I sure hope your son has a full recovery. It must heartbreaking to see your little guy in such pain.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old June 23rd, 2006, 11:28 PM
Passenger

Tip to help slow spread of Lyme Disease: Vaccinate you dog! If a tick bites a dog who is vaccinated for Lyme- the vacc. in the dog kills the bacteria in the tick which causes the disease. Then if that tick gets off the dog and bites a person, that person cannot get Lyme disease. Name brand flea preventitives also will kill ticks on dogs, so there are fewer ticks to get on the people.

Carnival Triumph- 1st Cruise!!
Old June 24th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Captain

Thanks for the great advice about where the ticks go on the body and dog care prevention. I will use it. That reminds me, Henry is due for a new dose of his drops.

Karen
Old June 26th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Admiral

Karne, keep us up to date on your son's improvement!

diorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old June 26th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Beginner

To Sailing Gal, I am sorry to hear about your little boy and I know he will be up and around real soon. Take Care.