Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Admiral

Default Most 'disappointing' port?

Thought this may be an interesting topic, what has been the port of call that you sailed to that has disappointed you the most?
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Admiral

Costa Maya, on our first cruise. Of course we didn't know we were going there until we got on board. It was our first cruise and Princess Cay still wasn't open yet so that was substituted. And we didn't know what was outside of the port area. Now of course if we were to go back we definitely would go exploring.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old June 28th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Admiral

Belize in '04. Didn't do an excursion and the people at the gates were very, very aggressive.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 28th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

Martineque, we never have had such an unwelcoming feeling while there. We have never returned. Others have told us the same thing.
Old June 28th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Belize, no question. I was there last September on the Glory B cruise. I tried to buy a disposable camera in one of the shops at the port. It was clearly marked $12.00. When I got to the counter to pay for it I was told it was $15.00. I showed her the markings and was told the price just went up. I put the camera on the counter and told them I do not do business with dishonest people and I left. I was so discouraged by that that I went to the tender and right back to the ship. Later I went to the shop on the ship and got the same camera for $12.00, I should have looked there first.

Laura
Old June 28th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Admiral

I have to agree with Martineque. I couldn't believe how hostile, and unfriendly the local people were, and especially after just visiting Barbados, where the locals went way beyond being the great representatives of their country! I don't care if I ever return to Martineque or not, but I'd go to Barbados in a heartbeat!
Ken
Old June 28th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Passenger

belize...hands down.....
Old June 28th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Isle de Margarita... is there anything there?
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old June 28th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Yeoman

I agree with those who voted for Belize.
I took a tour of the city -- they would not let us off the bus. The tour guide said it was a dangerous place! I noticed most of the houses had bars on the windows ...
We also went to the ruins, and the bathrooms were not working. We'd just come off a 1-hour bus ride, so most of us wanted to stop by the restroom.

Back in the shopping area, I was browsing in a store and saw wind chimes that were interesting. I asked how much they were, as they were not marked. The man told me $15. I thanked him and kept browsing. He asked me if I wanted it and I said no. He said, "You are cheap."

I walked out.
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Admiral

Grand Cayman

They let in way too many more people than they can accomodate. No docking location so always tendering. Overpriced. If you are going just to swim with sting rays, you can do that at many more locations than just Grand Cayman.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old June 28th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Yeoman

Default Most disappointing port

Martinique, but also Antiqua; police on every corner.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old June 28th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Captain

We booked a private snorkeling tour to Caye Caulker, so I didn't see Belize at all when I was there. Caye Caulker and the snorkeling was great!

The Caribbean ports disappoint me, can't single one out really.

Some day I may get to some of the farther out islands I've missed but I don't care to see San Juan or St. Thomas again and so many cruises include them.
Old June 28th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Last trip back to Cozumel (before the hurricane) and docking at the new Carnival pier. It was basically docking at "Cozumall". The flavor of Cozumel was gone. It was like being in a mall in Anytown, USA. My reaction was: Get me out of here.

Many people love it and it may be a shoppers paradise with deals and such but it sure didn't make me feel like I just docked in a foreign port.

IMO: It has basically become that in most Caribbean ports.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 2nd, 2006, 03:43 PM
Captain

My most disappointing port has been Belize. If we hadn't booked a tour to the Mayan ruins, it would have totally been a disappointment. I have no desire to go back to Belize.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 11:51 AM
First Mate

Costa Maya

We done a tour to ruins in Belize and I kinda liked it. I mean Im in no hurry to go back but it wasnt the worst.

I agree with Mike about Cozu'mall. Its nothing like its used to be. Last time I was there there were only a couple ships there. The other year it was like 6-7.

Im sad to say it but St T is climbing on the list also. Way too many folks there with all the big ships now. What used to be a reasonable cab ride to town now is shear madness and requires about twice as much time. Stores are packed and I havent seen many good deals.

R

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old July 3rd, 2006, 02:05 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Eaky77

I would have to say Honduras. I am not sure what I was expecting, but I thought it would be a little nicer than it was. I actually loved Belize, the Mayan Ruins were amazing, same with the views from the bus. I would go back there anytime.

I went on the Holiday back in 94. The ports were Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Ocho Rios. Back then the only one I didn't like was Ocho Rios, only because the locals were wayyyyyyyyy to in my face wanting to sell me stuff. Cozumel was my ultimate favorite port. Last year we went back to Cozumel. I was so excited to go back, boy I was really disappointed. It was nothing but a tourist trap. We have enough of those here in Wisconsin, I don't need to travel 1000+ miles to see that. Grand Cayman was another port we went back to. I loved it back in 94. It was pricey, but beautiful. Now, I wouldn't even get off the ship if we went back.

I still think a bad cruise is still better than a good week at work!

Erin
09-24-06 Destiny
10-02-05 Valor My favorite yet!
10-23-04 Triumph (Honeymoon of my dreams)
12-24-94 Holiday