Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 7th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Intersting Show About Cruising

Check out the Travel Channels new show, Travel Advisor, Safety at Sea. They had different segments, on missing passengers,virus's onboard, sexual attacks,and fires on ships, specifically, the Star Princess

One thing I found interesting, that I had not heard before was, they interviewed a couple, who both came down with the noro virus, on the second day of the cruise. They went to the medical facility,and were given medication, and told they needed to be quarentined for 24 hours. It seemed to work well, so they decided to get off at port the next day. When they exited the ship, their sign and sail cards had been deactivated, and were directed back to their cabin, with instructions they had to remain in there for 72 hrs. This was contrary to what they had first been told.

So, I guess the fact they went to the dr. was the trigger for de-activation. I'm not saying this is wrong to do, for the protection of a mass breakout, I was just never heard about this action being taken.

If you can catch this show in reruns, watch it, it was interesting.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

Yes, It is a very good show. I have watced it before.
It continuse to re run, so check the listings in your area.
Old July 7th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Admiral

Linda you bring up a very interesting point. There was a thread awhile ago on this topic and i was DISMAYED at the fact that there were people who got sick and who actually did not go to the doctor for the mere fact that they knew that they would get quarrantined. They didn't want to miss any of their vacation!!! This goes directly to what you said. If you knew that you would be quarrantined and that your sign and sail pass would be deactivated, i wonder how many people would go to the doctor. Doesn't say much for our concern for our fellow humans now does it??
Old July 7th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Admiral

Lisa, this is just a guess, but maybe they tell people at first, that the quarentine will just be for 24 hrs...no one who is ill, would quarrel, with that, thinking due to the needs of a bathroom, it's the safest place to be.
This couple thought 24 hrs was prudent, and had no prolem complying.

They were upset that, they were told only when they tried to get off the ship, it was a 72 hr quarentine. My guess is that if many people got sick at pretty much the same time, and all were told about the 72 hr rule, there could be a mini uprising. Peope being told in layers, might control
this. I also think being upfront would have been a more honest way to approach this. It's a disappointing scenerio to cruisers, especially on just a 7 dayer, but, peoples welfare is paramount..What do you think?

Old July 7th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Admiral

Your post was the first that i had heard of the 72 hr. quarrantine. That seems a bit severe, but we don't know the circumstances. Either way the couple should have been informed, i wonder if they returned to the doctor to get released?
I do know how the quarrantine works from first-hand experience. The normal quarrantine is for 24 hours, after the initial 24hours you must go back to the doctor -get evaluated and he/she has to sign a form releasing you from the quarrantine.
I had never heard of your sign and sail pass being deactivated, but i suppose its a good idea so that you would stay put.
Old July 7th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Admiral

Once the 72 hrs was up, they were able to get off in Mexico, to rounds of applause from their friends

Old July 7th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

I checked and it is on again at noon time (east coast time) this Sunday July 9th, on the Travel channel. I saw it, but Ellis was sleeping, and he wants to see it also. Very interesting.