CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Talk about your tiny stateroom.... (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/317059-talk-about-your-tiny-stateroom.html)

Dorothy July 12th, 2006 10:54 AM

Talk about your tiny stateroom....

Okay, first of all, I LOVE cruising. I've been in an inside, oceanview and balcony. Love them all.

I am cruising for the first time on RCI in September. I've always been a big talker about how ANY stateroom is fine - you're not in your room much, etc., etc.

But holy cow! RCI's regulur OV rooms are a tiny 122 sq. ft., next to Carnival's 185 sq. ft. 60 ft is a pretty big difference.

I'm sharing the stateroom with my 29 yo stepson. Frankly, I've been kinda afraid to measure out 122 sq ft. to see what it really looks like. Yikes!

I knew ahead of time that RCI had some of the smallest staterooms at sea, but......Please tell me it's not as uncomfortable as it sounds.

dorothy

rayb July 12th, 2006 01:18 PM

Dorothy ---you did not name the RCI ship you will be cruising on. Most allthe ships have different size IS rooms. Give us the the ship name.

Dorothy July 12th, 2006 01:38 PM

Ray, I am cruising on the Sov. of the Seas (see my countdown clock below) and I know the stateroom is 122 sq ft., although it's not an IS, it's an oceanview.

dorothy

venice July 12th, 2006 01:48 PM

I've been on the SOS with an inside and yep it's tight..however that was in 1992 and it was in drydock so it might have changed but I doubt it

however, it's something that you can get use to and will not change your overall quality of your cruise since you are in an "inside cabin" mindset

reverendjeff July 12th, 2006 04:59 PM

122 sq. feet seems big. Did you ever sail on the Norwegian Sea? 112 sq. feet. I had to step out in the hall to pull my pants on, but still had a great cruise. :)

Trip July 12th, 2006 05:52 PM

I have to agree. I was on the Sea when it was the Seaward, and literally, my jaw dropped, when the steward opened the cabin door.....:( oh my!

Marc July 12th, 2006 07:52 PM

Maybe the upgrade fairy will treat you well!!!

When we booked Sovereign of the Seas, we booked two Cat C cabins. We were both upgraded to Cat As. :D

I don't think I would do well in a tiny cabin. Besides a bachelor cruise when I had an inside cabin to myself, I don't think I have ever had less than 200 sq ft.

Good luck!!!

Donna July 12th, 2006 08:23 PM

Yes, its true, some of the older Royal Caribbean cabins are on the very small size. You will not find that though, cruising on any of their Radiance, Voyager or Freedom class ships...

Dorothy July 12th, 2006 08:24 PM

I'm not worried I won't have a good cruise, just that I will find my cabin too small for my taste.

I'm sorry, but 122 sq ft, after having nothing but 185 and above will seem small - I was just hoping I would hear "doesn't seem as small as you think...." or something.

Thanks anyway, folks.

dorothy

susancruzs July 12th, 2006 11:07 PM

Yep, I've been in one of those on the Sovereign, they are tiny but it is doable! The cabin layout is fine, you can do this! Just think about 2 feet of space between the twin beds!

The Sovereign was built in the late 80's and Royal Caribbean was known for their small cabins in that class of ship, Majesty and Monarch, too. She wowed everyone though with her atrium and overall interior design. I enjoyed the Sovereign, a great ship!

Carnival always touted their bigger cabins so when RCI built the next class, Vision. think Splendour, Grandeur, etc. they have a little better cabin space. Their newer ships they are right up there with other cruise lines for cabin space.

Dorothy July 12th, 2006 11:27 PM

Thanks Suzie. Ever since I saw that special about the re-do of the Sov., I've wanted to try it out.

I really AM excited about my cruise, and probably wouldn't even be thinking about the small cabin if I weren't sharing it with my stepson.

I can't wait to see the big clock!

dorothy

susancruzs July 12th, 2006 11:44 PM

I haven't been onboard since the redo, which I thought was great watching it on TV!

I was wowed by the Sovereign because it was the first newer, bigger ship that I was on and it just seemed awesome!

I think that ranks up there with sharing with my niece, she's 24 now and I love her to death but sharing rooms with her is an experience! And when she stays here with me (she and her boyfriend) how they cram so much stuff in one spare bedroom and bathroom is beyond me!!! :-)

Enjoy that cruise, I'll be anxious to hear about it!