CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Sea Days/Port Days, that is The Question! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/317194-sea-days-port-days-question.html)

Trip July 14th, 2006 08:35 PM

Sea Days/Port Days, that is The Question!

What is your favorite, port days, or days at sea? Does the thought of getting off to investigate a port, get you all excited, with a tour, shopping, water sports, etc.................OR, does the thought of staying onboard, having a quiet ship to yourself, with great service, strike your fancy? Another shop, another tour, no way!

I think this part of my question, is geared mainly to crusiers who have been to a port many times before, so the dew is off the rose so to speak.

Now, another one to ponder....Some cruises like a trans Atlantic, or a Hawaii cruise, that, starts off in the mainland, have many, many days at sea. Would you get antsy, and feel confined, and need a port badly, or would you be in cruise heaven, with time to unwind and enjoy an extended time at sea?

candymaker July 14th, 2006 08:40 PM

I enjoy the sea days, because I can relax.

CruisinK n J July 14th, 2006 09:23 PM

Sea Days/Port Days/That is the Question

I'm on the fence. I really enjoy sea days for their relaxation, but on the other hand, I've been to many interesting ports that I would not have wanted to miss.

Judy

Sea Trekker July 14th, 2006 10:23 PM

I like both. That is the fun of a cruise. You can get off at a port if you want or stay on board. I was very excited to see the Panama Canal especially after reading "The Path Between the Seas". all the effort, money, lives, politics, etc.
I don't care for the Bahamas any more, been to it so many times.
To visit the ports that are new to our adventures I like to see the culture, foods, and life. Even if it is a short visit, I can say I was there.
My favorite country is Costa Rica. I would like to do a land trip there some day.
Carole 8)

rollerdonna July 15th, 2006 08:06 AM

Both! I love sea days because I am a sun worshipper (comes from living in the Great White North) and love to spend long days on a deck chair by the pool. But I equally love port days because even if I've been to a port before, there's always something new to discover, or a new beach to try, and I love beaches!

donna

FlyerGirl July 15th, 2006 10:00 AM

Just got back from a 7 day cruise that had 5 ports. We would have prefered a sea day in the middle to allow our feet a break.

We did skip the Rome port due to being tired and it was our anniversary. Also, we felt Rome would be easier to see on a later trip, then say Villefrenche.

We did have an awesome time and will cruise again.

Kuki July 15th, 2006 10:40 AM

In the Caribbean I'm a sea days guy. I like a port every second or third day, to roam and explore.

But, I love Europe and the Baltic for the ports... where every port is quite different, and history is bursting everywhere around you.

Libragirl July 15th, 2006 12:08 PM

I enjoy both, but I really love visiting the ports. I've been to Cozumel 7 times and have gotten off the ship each time. There are still things I haven't seen or done in Cozumel.

I love going to places I've never been to before!!

Libragirl 8) :D

mehawk July 15th, 2006 12:17 PM

We like both

venice July 15th, 2006 01:06 PM

Europe - ports (maybe with 1 sea day in the middle)
Caribbean - sea days (with 1 port in the middle and private island at the very beginnig or the last full day at sea)

blueliner July 15th, 2006 01:07 PM

We've found that in ports we've already been to are great days to use the ship's facilities, like the spa. Everyone else is off the ship in port, and appointments are easier to get. We look for cruises with more sea days now and fewer ports, but it is nice to get off in a place you've never been to.

Mike M July 15th, 2006 02:23 PM

In the Caribbean I prefer more sea days than port days. Give me a 10 day Southern with five ports and five sea days and I would be a happy cruiser.

If it is Europe or the Far East I prefer more port days with overnight stays in as many ports as possible. An overnight stay gives you the ability to take in as much of a port as possible, including local restaurants and nightlife.

Take care,
Mike

Phyllbo July 15th, 2006 05:17 PM

The ideal cruise for me would alternate a sea day with a port day. As long as there are plenty of activities to do on the ship, I don't mind 3-4 days at sea in a row.

Phyll

UConn1 July 15th, 2006 09:47 PM

Fun Days at Sea if in Caribbean, but otherwise I enjoy the ports I haven't been to before.

Jodi

cruisinforever July 16th, 2006 10:23 PM

Sea days/port days

Cruising to Hawaii from Vancouver: 4 sea days, but what you see when you wake up on day 5 is just awesome. We've been to St. Thomas numerous times, but I still love the island and especially the harbor. We never tire of the Bahamas and am really looking forward to Bermuda in October. We always love the private islands, but haven't been to one lately. Seadays help you recharge and anticipate.

Betty