Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Sea Days/Port Days, that is The Question!

What is your favorite, port days, or days at sea? Does the thought of getting off to investigate a port, get you all excited, with a tour, shopping, water sports, etc.................OR, does the thought of staying onboard, having a quiet ship to yourself, with great service, strike your fancy? Another shop, another tour, no way!

I think this part of my question, is geared mainly to crusiers who have been to a port many times before, so the dew is off the rose so to speak.

Now, another one to ponder....Some cruises like a trans Atlantic, or a Hawaii cruise, that, starts off in the mainland, have many, many days at sea. Would you get antsy, and feel confined, and need a port badly, or would you be in cruise heaven, with time to unwind and enjoy an extended time at sea?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2006, 08:40 PM
First Mate

I enjoy the sea days, because I can relax.
Old July 14th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Admiral

Default Sea Days/Port Days/That is the Question

I'm on the fence. I really enjoy sea days for their relaxation, but on the other hand, I've been to many interesting ports that I would not have wanted to miss.

Judy
Old July 14th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

I like both. That is the fun of a cruise. You can get off at a port if you want or stay on board. I was very excited to see the Panama Canal especially after reading "The Path Between the Seas". all the effort, money, lives, politics, etc.
I don't care for the Bahamas any more, been to it so many times.
To visit the ports that are new to our adventures I like to see the culture, foods, and life. Even if it is a short visit, I can say I was there.
My favorite country is Costa Rica. I would like to do a land trip there some day.
Carole 8)
Old July 15th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Admiral

Both! I love sea days because I am a sun worshipper (comes from living in the Great White North) and love to spend long days on a deck chair by the pool. But I equally love port days because even if I've been to a port before, there's always something new to discover, or a new beach to try, and I love beaches!

donna
Old July 15th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Passenger

Just got back from a 7 day cruise that had 5 ports. We would have prefered a sea day in the middle to allow our feet a break.

We did skip the Rome port due to being tired and it was our anniversary. Also, we felt Rome would be easier to see on a later trip, then say Villefrenche.

We did have an awesome time and will cruise again.
Old July 15th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

In the Caribbean I'm a sea days guy. I like a port every second or third day, to roam and explore.

But, I love Europe and the Baltic for the ports... where every port is quite different, and history is bursting everywhere around you.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 15th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Captain

I enjoy both, but I really love visiting the ports. I've been to Cozumel 7 times and have gotten off the ship each time. There are still things I haven't seen or done in Cozumel.

I love going to places I've never been to before!!

Libragirl 8)
Old July 15th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Admiral

We like both

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 15th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Admiral

Europe - ports (maybe with 1 sea day in the middle)
Caribbean - sea days (with 1 port in the middle and private island at the very beginnig or the last full day at sea)
Old July 15th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Admiral

We've found that in ports we've already been to are great days to use the ship's facilities, like the spa. Everyone else is off the ship in port, and appointments are easier to get. We look for cruises with more sea days now and fewer ports, but it is nice to get off in a place you've never been to.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old July 15th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

In the Caribbean I prefer more sea days than port days. Give me a 10 day Southern with five ports and five sea days and I would be a happy cruiser.

If it is Europe or the Far East I prefer more port days with overnight stays in as many ports as possible. An overnight stay gives you the ability to take in as much of a port as possible, including local restaurants and nightlife.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 15th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Admiral

The ideal cruise for me would alternate a sea day with a port day. As long as there are plenty of activities to do on the ship, I don't mind 3-4 days at sea in a row.

Phyll
Old July 15th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

Fun Days at Sea if in Caribbean, but otherwise I enjoy the ports I haven't been to before.

Jodi
Old July 16th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Yeoman

Default Sea days/port days

Cruising to Hawaii from Vancouver: 4 sea days, but what you see when you wake up on day 5 is just awesome. We've been to St. Thomas numerous times, but I still love the island and especially the harbor. We never tire of the Bahamas and am really looking forward to Bermuda in October. We always love the private islands, but haven't been to one lately. Seadays help you recharge and anticipate.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07