Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Admiral

Default Loyalty question...

Had this posed to me this morning.

Looking at the past year, with the Star Princess fire and now the Crown Princess incident, would I still continue to cruise on Princess (I'm a loyal Princess past passenger)?

YES - things happen on all ships, and these have not been out of any negligence by Princess.

I asked them, you drive Brand X car? Are you going to trade it in and buy Brand Y just because Brand X has an accident?

What about you?
Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Admiral

In the past few years there's been a major fire on a Carnival ship, RCI ship running aground off St. Maarten, Norwegian Dawn and a rogue wave, endless problems with many azipod-equipped vessels (Millennium springs to mind) and the Queen Mary II hitting the edge of the shipping channel while leaving port......

None of those incidents were Princess.... "ship happens".

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old July 19th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Admiral

Default Loyalty Question

Yes, definitely, I will sail with Princess again. After my one experience on a very large ship, I still like one that's about 1700 or 1800 passengers . . . plenty big enough.

Judy
Old July 19th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I think that overall the cruise industry is taking a huge beating in the media. There has been more bad press regarding "cruise crime", accidents and incidents at sea than at any other time in the industry's history. All of this may have a major effect on the industry in the near future.

In regard to the number of incidents they are statistically low, actually very low, in regard to the number of ships, and passengers that sail every week and year.

In regard to brand loyalty: I feel that the big 3 (Carnival, RCI and NCL) do a good job in regard to ship and personal safety and I have no problem with sailing on any of their ships based on safety. Based on food, ambiance and entertainment then there may be some brand preference.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 19th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Admiral

Absolutely and will back my words by sailing away on the Caribbean Princess on Saturday. 8)

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old July 19th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
I think that overall the cruise industry is taking a huge beating in the media. There has been more bad press regarding "cruise crime", accidents and incidents at sea than at any other time in the industry's history. All of this may have a major effect on the industry in the near future.

In regard to the number of incidents they are statistically low, actually very low, in regard to the number of ships, and passengers that sail every week and year.
What bleeds, leads.
If there were fires, various crimes and incidents aboard airplanes or trains, you'd get stories too.

If the media were to keep these cruise-related incidents under wraps, wouldn't it appear that someone was hiding something?

As far as the Crown Princess, there were pax contacting the media before they even got off the ship!

I seriously doubt these stories will cause many people to cancel plans to cruise or have any effect whatsoever on cruising.
Cruising is enjoying an all-time high in bookings these days. Our local TV station just did a story on it this week.

As fas as statistics go, look at the deaths at Disney World.
All the hundreds of thousands of people who go there -- no problems -- then there's a death, then another. Statistically insignificant, maybe.
But significant enough to merit news stories.
And significant enough if it was someone in your family.
Old July 19th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Passenger

CA-
For sure we shall continue to cruise Princess.

But, as we have discussed- they pushed that ship to be ready on time. It doesn't seem like they did the normal shake down cruises. With so many people on the previous 3 cruises saying that the a/c and the ref. didn't work. One does have to wonder. And as most of us know they normally do the shake down cruises over in Europe where the dockyard is closer. And one would have thought the sea trails would have shown this mech. sterring problem.

I hope that they get all the mech. problems fixed, the a/c and ref's fixed and everything else that past pass have commented on during this down time.

BTW- the Caribbean Princess is having sprinklers installed on the balconies of that ship while the pass are on board. Does the Crown Princess have these on board?

Counting down to Thanksgiving on the Crown Princess.
Jan

Caribbean Princess Christmas Cruise 12/07
Old July 19th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Admiral

plus if they continue to have problems and people shy away from booking them, the rates will come down
Old July 19th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Captain

I'm still sailing with Princess, not a problem, always my first choice! I've had friends calling me today to tell me about it and ask if I'll still be on a Princess cruise!

You bet!
Old July 20th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Admiral

I just wish I had a Princess cruise booked instead of just an open booking---
Cheers
April
Old July 21st, 2006, 07:57 AM
Admiral

Princess has been, and probably will always be one of the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and my favorites. Like the Cynic sez...ship happens.
Ken
Old July 22nd, 2006, 03:58 PM
Admiral

After a detour to a Carnival cruise in November (but still in the family) we'll go back to Princess next year. The price was just too right and the itinerary to somewhere we hadn't been to before.
We like Princess and have worked ourselves up to the Platinum level because of our bookings. We considered the Crown for next year, too. It depends on price, destination, availability, location of the cruise port.
Lynne

Ruby Princess