Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 22nd, 2006, 08:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2
Default Another Remember This!

This one will be remembered by those growing up in a predominately Italian neighborhood. Our neighborhood was mostly Italians and mostly my family. This of course was in the 50's 60's era. We lived at the top of a dead end hill and it was unpaved. The perfect place for the guys to play bocci. It was a game played with balls similar to bowling balls. I do not remember the rules or the point as I was just a child. In the summer this was how Sunday afternoon was spent. The men playing bocci, the wives chatting on the door steps and the kids playing on the lawns. They would always order pizza for everyone. it was good family time and fun for all. Those were the days. Life was simple.
The bucket of bocci balls was always kept under the porch of my dads cousins house. I remember as children we would get them out and play bocci when our dads were not using them. I like to think that if I ever go "home" again I can go look under that porch and that old rusted bucket will still be there. Fond memories.

Laura
Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2006, 01:15 AM
Passenger

Default Bocci Lives!

Okay, so it's not exactly the same game but my friends and I play bocci on camping trips. We do cross-country bocci, tho. Sand dunes, dirt camp sites, pine forest- you name it we'll play bocci thru it! I know the real game has boundries and rules... but we like our version. And as the old saying goes "A beer in the hand is worth 2 bocci balls in the bush."

Carnival Triumph- 1st Cruise!!
Old July 26th, 2006, 06:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

No way!I had never heard of bocci til a few months ago and now i go to a little place that has a bocci ball "court" haha!I love it and im getting quite good!BTW the point of the game is to get all of your balls as close to the white ball as possible!and try to knock your opponents balls away from it to accumulate points!!
Old July 26th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Admiral

We are not Italian, but we pull out the bocci balls at every family gathering. We don't have a court. Most of the men play horseshoes, but my nieces, daughter and I all play bocci. We have great fun and lots of laughs. We are pretty loose with the rules.
Old July 26th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Admiral

Growing up Italian, I always thought that everyone had Bocci balls stored somewhere in their yard. We would gather at a different aunt and uncle's house every Sunday. Eat lots of pasta, salad and home-made bread. The men would play Bocci while the women first cleaned up and then got coffee and desserts ready. The kids would usually run around and just get in the way.