Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2006, 05:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Whats the best way?

To save up for a cruise?Do you Have a seperate account that you put money in every paycheck?Or do you just have a little jar at home?Im only 18 and I am in LOVE with cruising,and I am just looking for good ways/ideas to save money for doing 1 or 2 cruises every year!I am going off to college this fall at Texas A&M and thankfully my parents are paying for it!But I still have to pay my rent and bills and car note !But any ideas and input would be awesome!Thanks in advance,Daniel
Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

I sock money away in my savings account. Every penny adds up and you do get a small amount of interest! Good luck, study hard this year and happy sailing! GIG EM' AGGIES!!!!
11/10/05
Explorer of the Seas 9/19/2004
Rhapsody 9/2003
Old July 26th, 2006, 06:11 AM
Admiral

I have money deducted from each paycheck and sent directly to a "holiday fund account". I get the check in October...usually just around the time my final payment is due for the next cruise! It works really, really well.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old July 26th, 2006, 06:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Those both sound like great ideas!!Marylou,did you just open up a seperate account?I wish I could just go on a FREE cruise lol!I think all of us cruisemates members should be given one haha!!
Old July 26th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Admiral

Well, , I just pay the fare and get on.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 27th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm not sure it is a good idea at 18 but I have a credit card that earns cruise points towards discounts on cruises. RIght now the best deal out there is with the NCL mastercard through MBNA - it takes about $8,000 charges to get $500 off and with rates out of Houston at $400 per person for 7 nights that is only $300 to cruise for two total. Carnivcal used to have the best deal out and I had their card for a while but they changed it and now you have to spend $25,000 I think to get $500 off - to much for me.... Mayeb you could ask your parents to get it and charge you college tuition on it and then you should have points for $500 off in one year.... If they gave you the discount and didn't go themselves...

Debbie
Old July 27th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Captain

Default Paying for Cruises

Well, I don't do anything special to SAVE for a cruise, but when I do book one, I have my TA charge $200 or $300 per month on my credit card to pay down the balance. That way, I don't have a huge amount to pay on the final payment date. For example, my final payment for our Jewel repo cruise in October is due in mid-August. The final payment is $50.52.

A lot easier to take than a couple of thousand $$$.
Old July 27th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Admiral

I find a rich young lady to pay for mine (VBG)

Like most folks, a combination of putting alittle aside (forced saving) in the credit union every payday, take a portion of my tax return (1/3 cruise, 1/3 bills, 1/3 emergency fund), I am a big coupon clipper fan, so I write myself a "mental check" everytime I go to the supermarket, and then when I pay my bills on the first of the month, I write and cash the coupon check and put it in my cookie jar along with the loose change I pick up every day walking..you would be surprised how quickly that adds up

My GF usually agrees to pick up a portion of the sign and sale charges

So thus, everyting is paid for before we go and if we have any money left over, it goes towards next year's cruise
Old July 27th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I don't mean to sound like the "old dude" but first I would concentrate on getting the education out of the way.

To save for the cruise just cut out some of the extras that you don't notice. Eat in, instead of ordering out. Ride a bike, if you can, instead of taking the car, keep the wardrobe to less than designer duds. Take the money you save and put it away in a CD or other savings plan and when it comes time to cruise decide if you would rather pay off the car or go on a cruise.

I'd pay off the car and take that money and save that for the cruise.

Take care,
Mike (Life's full of choices)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 27th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Admiral

Default What's the Best Way?

I would add to Mike's suggestions that you NOT get married and have kids!

Judy
Old July 30th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Admiral

I would not have been able to save money for a cruise while I was in college. I lived on mac and cheese and campbell's soup - so there wasn't any money leftover.

If Mom and Dd are planning on giving you a graduation gift in a few years you can ask for a cruise - MY son already has for his high school graduation!

Enjoy your college experience and how knows, maybe your parents will take you cruising for a spring break or two. Good luck.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old July 31st, 2006, 12:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

That credit card thing sounds like a great idea!!But does RCI offer it?I understand what your sayin Mike,And of course I am going to focus on my education!I have always been on the A honor roll and I graduated in the top 2% of my class so hopefully ill do ok in college lol!!But what makes me sooo frustrated is that my parents are very wealthy and they wont give pay for my cruises but they buy me other pointless stuff that I dont need!For example, they just bought me a 06' Range Rover out of no where,which was stupid because I loved my Hummer!I went to Dallas to have a going away party for my cousin thats left for Iraq today,and when I got home my Hummer was gone and I had a new Range Rover!I did the math and I could go on a cruise once a month for a whole year with the money that they spent on the RR!!Now I want y'all to know that im not trying to brag about being wealthy,im just trying to let y'all know what kind of a situation im in so maybe y'all can give me some advice on how to talk to them about giving me money for cruises instead of things that I dont even want or need!Thanks for all the replies so far!!They're helping a TON!!

(P.S. For all of you that said dont get married and have kids, GREAT ADVICE!!I dont want to get married or have kids until im at least in my late 20's!!I want to travel the world and live all of my dreams first!!

Dorothy-I was thinking about doing that but they said that they would buy me any 2 things that I wanted for my graduation present, so I decided that fresh out of college im gonna need a house and a car!So they are gonna buy some land and have a house built on it for me!!And they are buying me my dream car, a Lamborghini Galardo!!So after im stable finacially by myself,then hopefully i'll be able to start my cruising spree lol!)
Old July 31st, 2006, 12:05 PM
Admiral

I think Mike's got the right idea, but I'll be even more of a wet blanket. . .]

At your age, the best thing you can do is to forget about cruising and spend the time you'd be on a ship learning about basic finances, and especially the time value of money. If you save and invest wisely now, you'll be able to take all the cruises you want (probably in suites) down the road.

When people of your age REALLY learn how to handle money, and apply the discipline that goes with it, they usually wind up rich. You could start by reading a very old book called "The Richest Man in Babylon."

Bottom line: this isn't the time to focus on short term goals--especially those that are ephemeral, like vacations; instead, this is the time to plant your wealth tree and nurture its growth.

Forget the instant gratification and start the long journey instead. You'll wind up a winner.

Generally, credit cards of any stripe are not a great idea for people your age, unless you can, without fail, pay off the full balance every single month.
Old August 1st, 2006, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Sell the Range Rover and drive a Kia. What's left over should pay for a few cruises.

Ed

Norwegian Majesty
Old August 1st, 2006, 05:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

... I disagree with AR... but then again Im in the same position as surferdude... minus the hummer OR the range rover...

I agree with Ed... sell the range rover... but buy a Scion.. cheap... great sound system... GREAT gasmileage... and living at college station you'll Need gas mileage your campus is crazy big...

RCCL i know has a Cruise Card i don't know the specifics on it... Personally I plan on hoarding all of my loose change for my ENTIRE college experience to get me my own graduation present... however for the first year i will be stock piling and finding a job to pay for that ScholarShip thing that RCCL is offering... You might want to look into it... thescholarship.com if you love cruising... great way to get a semester of college out of the way while enjoying traveling around the world... however.... getting a credit card at our young age is probably one of the WORST financial moves you can make... that interest will Kill you...

A lamborghini... :shakes head:.... For someone with aspirations to be a cruise director... that car will just sit and rot for months while your on the boat...
Horizon - July '03
Rhapsody of the Seas - Thanksgiving '03
Golden Princess - June '04
Carnival Ecstasy - May '05
Explorer of the Seas - July '05
Infinity - Doomed Voyage - July '06
Old August 1st, 2006, 09:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

As much as I would like to sell the RR and get a cheaper car,over the past 2 days,I have fallin in love with it!!And it would be kinda wierd to have a Kia or a scion sitting in front of my house next to my Mom's Mercedes and my Dad's Rolls Royce!!It just wouldnt feel right!Ive been driving luxury cars since I was 15 and I think it would be pretty hard to make the down grade!!But you're right about Texas A&M having a huge campus,so I went and bought a Hyabusa today for driving around campus!It gets GREAT gas milage,and I have the I-pod for the tunes!!Now I understand that getting a credit card at my age isn't a great idea but....I hate saying this cuz it makes me sound like a ***EDITED TO REMOVE VULGARITY )rich kid (which I am *EDITED***,nor am I trying to brag!!!), But my whole life my parents have bought me anything I want as long as it wasnt too out of range!!Ive had a credit card under their name since I was 15 and have been able to buy anything I want with it,But now I want to get the RCI credit card in MY name but still have my parents pay for it to get my credit high!!But I did check into the semester at sea,and it seems like a really great idea!!I asked my parents and they said that I could do it,but I want to at least get my Freshman year at A&M done with first,that way I can decide on how challenging it is for me,and if being at sea would effect my grades!!
Old August 1st, 2006, 10:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The wonderful "imaginary" world of the Internet.. live and at work
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 1st, 2006, 10:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

No no.. don't do the A&M semester at sea... i've heard horrible things about that... they have a tendency to get their boat stuck in the middle of storms...

And theScholarShip requires you to have 1 year of college under your belt anyway... but you might want to see what A&M's policy with study abroad is... I know that AU wants a petition to study form filled out before you even APPLY for the program... so as Soon as I get to campus im running over to my counselor and trying to switch out of my current program because there is just TOOO much paperwork involved with Law and Government.... I love politics... but im not a paperwork kind of Gal... then after that i'm headed over to the study abroad office on campus and getting my petition... and AU gets all huffy about study abroad before all your gen ed requirements are done... so that will involve a very long interview with my advisor discussing when exactly i will have time to finish them if i insist on jumping on a Cruise ship... (ponders i wonder what the drinking age will be... maybe i'll finally get my own white zinfandel) SO yeah... you might want to check out A&M's policy... because i know mine is a LOT of trouble...
Horizon - July '03
Old August 1st, 2006, 10:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

What are you talking about Mr.Kuki?Im confused?And not trying to be a smart A, but you forgot to "edit to remove vulgarity" on the same word a few words down!I appologize,I didnt know that word was vulgar!!
But thanks for all of the info gambitscuba,I didnt realize it was that complicated!!Ill definatly look into it!!Oh and good choice on the White Zinfandel,its a very good wine!!
Old August 1st, 2006, 10:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've always thought it was pretty good... and no problem on the info
Horizon - July '03
Old August 1st, 2006, 11:09 PM
Admiral

Am I the only guy still here with a "cruise coin jar"???

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old August 1st, 2006, 11:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

No... Mr. C. Cynic... i have Cruise Coin Shoes.... a pair of tennis shoe i haven't used in forever... different container... same purpose as your jar... birds of a feather in that sort...
Horizon - July '03
Old August 2nd, 2006, 12:17 AM
Admiral

Well, that's my little bit of reality sharing for the day... pathetic as it may be........

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old August 4th, 2006, 03:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

I think I get what your trying to say Mr.Kuki,do you think im lying?
Old August 4th, 2006, 11:04 AM
First Mate

Dude if you cant stand the thought of down grading to a lowly hoopdee Kia to pay for the cruise while in college I just dont know what to tell yah.

You pretty much lost the crowd when you started talking about how your parents drive Roles Royces, give you a free ride at A&M, and replace your Hummer with an '06 Land Rover.

How about selling the silver spoon in your mouth?

Sheesh.

I call shenanagins.

R

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94