Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 3rd, 2006, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Default What's Wrong With Today's Pop Music (Why I Love the 60's)

After watching MTV and the BET awards, I have come to the conclusion that the music and artist performing today leave alot to be desired and that with cell phones, computers,text messaging, kids today are missing out on expressing how they feel thru the music..

In the 60's (when I was a teenager), if you wanted to let a young lady know how you felt about her, you called her up (before 8 pm on a school night) and did not say a word, you played her a record, or you called your local radio station for a dedication when you knew she would be listening..

You could track my entire love life based upon the hits of The Temptations and Smokey Robinson and the Miracles !!!

Courting Stage (you wanted her to know you were interested)..You played "You've Really Got A Hold On Me", or "Please Return Your Love To Me"..when you were getting ready to take her on on your first date you played "Get Ready or "Going To A Go-Go" or "Being With You"..when you wanted that first kiss or something alittle extra you played "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" or "My Girl" or my all time favorite (and it worked) "Ooo Baby, Baby"...when you first fell in love (or lust) you played "Being With You" or "You Are My Everything"or "Cloud Nine"...when you had your first fight and first break up you could play "The Tracks Of My Tears" or "I'll Be in Trouble" or "I Know I'm Losing You"

Of course my parents were there to comfort me after my first big "having my heart broken by a girl/woman" (would not be the last time in my life (smile) and they would play "Shop Around" or"Ball Of Confusion" or "Don't Let The Jones Get You Down"

Of course, today when I talk my GF on a cruise, the night before I play "Cruisin"

I'm curious , what songs remind you of your first love ? Kids today have it tough without great songs and singers (IMHO)
Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2006, 04:38 PM
BEACH DOUG

I think there are more great songs and singers now than in the 60's, or any other era. At least those that are known to the public. There are also MANY more bad songs and singers than in the 60's. It's all because there are infinitely more opportunities today than 40 years ago for artists to get their music heard.

Let the bashing begin...
Old August 3rd, 2006, 04:50 PM
Admiral

While I love Motown, I love the new music coming out today.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old August 3rd, 2006, 05:02 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEACH DOUG
I think there are more great songs and singers now than in the 60's, or any other era. At least those that are known to the public. There are also MANY more bad songs and singers than in the 60's. It's all because there are infinitely more opportunities today than 40 years ago for artists to get their music heard.

Let the bashing begin...
I think the classic rock singers will stand the test of time [Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who etc.].

A lot of those popular today will fade away faster than you can say New Kids on the Block ... or Spice Girls [remember them? 80s and 90s stuff].

My daughters, who are in their 20s, know all their mom's music -- including Jimmy Buffett -- and I know some of theirs.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 07:17 PM
Admiral

Todays music is exactly why I'm willing to pay for XM, and listen to great music on channel 73, (Frank's Place). Artists like Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Jack Jones, Peggy Lee, and lots more make the payment for XM worth it.
Ken
Old August 3rd, 2006, 07:31 PM
Admiral

I hear you Skymaster (that's great music)..but Beach Dog makes a really good point about more venue outlets which will produce more (volume) of music..

When we drove from New Orleans to Galveston last November to catch the Conquest, my friend has XM in her Tahoe and the ability (for a price) to listen to an incredible amount of "target" music was awesome and if I spent alot of time in a vehicle these days it would be well worth the investment

My point on my original post was twofold..1) to find out what particular songs people associated with their first love..2) based upon my viewing of VH1 and BET (which is a huge venue for young folks) I was not impressed with the current day rock/rap music...I do suggest that if the 60's Motown era was the "Sound of Young America" then because of the great lyrics and great singers, country music written and performed today has some of the greatest lyrics and performers for this era...However, I still can't figure out why "Rap" is such a big cross over hit

Great music is great music and will withstand the test of time (term is Evergreen)..I also think that the young performers today haven't paid their dues and thus when you see them live they have not built up both the inventory of songs and the experience of performing on the road..aspiring singers today think "American Idol" is paying dues
Old August 3rd, 2006, 09:13 PM
Admiral

I always felt I should have been a teenager in the 50's, because it's my favourite era of music. (I was born in 55) but I also loved the 60's. Still do, much prefer the oldies over any of that crap that passes for music today.
As for "Rap", don't get me started....

Special song associated with a 1st love? Probably Rod Stewart's "Maggie May". Every time I hear that song, it takes me back to a time and place and a little red Volkswagon Bug......

donna
Old August 3rd, 2006, 09:21 PM
Admiral

I too think the kids today have been short-changed.

The music today is slow, boring, uninspired, and not any fun. And you can't dance to it.

I remember going out during the mid-70's thru the mid-80's and having so much fun on the dance floor. Really got a good sweat going. And I think that's the thing about today's music and dancing -- the kids don't have PE in school any longer and are too out of shape to dance to anything upbeat like we used to have!

Now it's all just bump & grind. Whatever happened to having fun?!

OK, the rant's over! (I wonder if this would have made a good gripe...... )

Dean
Old August 3rd, 2006, 10:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I thought my mom had come back to life, and was now posting on Cruisemates. Why do you listen to that stuff? That isn't music. You can't dance to it, you can't understand most of it, and it's boring. Oh and don't forget the devil worshiping music. She was saying all this in the 60's and 70's. I survived the music, and all my friends did. It didn't cause me to worship the devil. (If she could only see Ozzy now )We did dance to it, but looking back, not very good, but we thought we were good. We understood most of it, and if we didn't, we wouldn't have admitted it. It also didn't cause me to have sex all over town, well, except that blue Camaro with the soft top.

I am lucky enough to have enjoyed music through the years. Some I like better than others. I can carry on a conversation with my two teens, and half way understand who they are talking about. I still buy Cd's of today's music, and enjoy it as much as I did back then.

We are no different than our kids, and we sound like our parents sometimes.

Venice, to answer your question, it was the theme song to Love Story. It was 1970 and he was my first love. He was my everything, and we saw the movie dozens of times. The love didn't last, but the song still brings back memories.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 3rd, 2006, 10:41 PM
Admiral

Default What's Wrong with Today's Music (Why I like the 60's)

This is why I posted the thread about Pandora Radio. It's internet radio that you customize for yourself. They don't sell music. You can have anything you want.

Judy
Old August 3rd, 2006, 11:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

I also liked the music of "old"! Ellis and I met in 1974. He heard a song on the radio and called me to say that is how he felt about me! ahhhhhhh.. " Then came you," by Dione Warwick and the Spinners. If you know the words, you know why I fell in love with him. I had the title ingraved in his wedding ring when we married a year later.
Old August 4th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Admiral

Luanne> You nailed it!!!

As one who works in the music industry (I supply equipment to most disc jockeys of import in my area) I am exposed to the cutting edge in music daily.

There is good and bad to every type of music. Even rap.
I used to hate Eminem. Then I listened to his songs closely. Now I think ol' Marshall Mathers is a genius. He single-handedly re-defined a genre that was getting old and dated, by bringing a totally new style to town. Former trend-setters I still repect within this type of music are Kid Rock and the Beastie Boys.

I have played the classics AD NAUSEUM in my own disc jockey days, and quite frankly, if I hear "Old Time Rock n' Roll" or "Satisfaction" one more time I will kill the player of said song with my two bare hands.

On the radio on my way home, I heard "Soak Up the Sun" by Cheryl Crow, not an old song by any means, and thought... now that's a good song. It was followed by one of Shaggy's songs, and I thought, 'good tune also'.

There is GREAT music being made nowadays. In the sixties, seventies, eighties and nineties, there were always jewels in the coal. We just don't remember the coal.... And to top it all off, Kiss is cool now. Whodathunkit.

If it's catchy and new, I like it. Just don't re-hash the same old crap over and over again.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old August 4th, 2006, 01:41 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Donna:

Your favorite song is the same as mine. hmmmmmmmm. Maggie Mae.

My favorite love song is: Elvis' or Willie Nelson's "Always on my mind".

Then again it could be Springsteen's Candy's Room or Thunder Road, Born to Run or Conway Twitty's, It's Only Make Believe.

I have such eclectic taste in music I love anything from Mozart to Def Leppard. About the only things I don't like are hip hop and rap. There are also some disco tunes that make my skin crawl but I'll admit I know the words to them.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 4th, 2006, 01:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

the problem with pop music today... isssss... they don't play the right stuff on the radio... I want hear me some more Dean Martin sound alikes... like.. Micheal Buble... and I want to hear it all the time day or night....

Or Regina Spektor... now thats some eccletic stuff

what was this topic about???
Horizon - July '03
Rhapsody of the Seas - Thanksgiving '03
Golden Princess - June '04
Carnival Ecstasy - May '05
Explorer of the Seas - July '05
Infinity - Doomed Voyage - July '06
Old August 4th, 2006, 02:02 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I agree that there is good in today's music. I'm not a fan of anything that demeans women or promotes violence but music like literature is always changing.

I remember my mother asking me how I could listen to that "bump, bump, bump" music. I wondered how she could listen to that boring 3/4 country or old Benny Goodman. That was "Old folks music." Once I paid attention I learned to appreciate it and found it had meaning and it was where my music came from.

There is good in all music but you have to find it and if it's original and has meaning then it will endure. Otherwise it will be like disco and die or evolve.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 4th, 2006, 03:25 AM
Admiral

The #1 Sign You Know You're Getting OLD When:

Your favourite artists from your youth start showing up performing during your cruise.....

Old August 4th, 2006, 03:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Cynic
The #1 Sign You Know You're Getting OLD When:

Your favourite artists from your youth start showing up performing during your cruise.....

Then im not old yet.... no spice girls performing on cruises...
Horizon - July '03
Old August 4th, 2006, 03:49 AM
Admiral

scuba> naah... they are all too busy doing what Spice Girls do best. Having babies.

Old August 4th, 2006, 05:55 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I too loved the music of the 60's. My radio is tuned to the local "oldies" station. A few years ago I worked part time at a concert venue. I saw some great talent and really enjoyed some of the concerts there. I also saw some really bad concerts. Some of the worst were the concerts that were filled with filth. I do not think that it is at all entertaining when the artist uses the "F" word in every sentence. Sammy Hagar and Eminem were the worst and most disgusting of the bunch. It was interesting to see what types of crowds were drawn by different performers. At the 2 Sammy Hagar concerts there was always trouble and many drug related arrests. The surprise to me was the crowd that came for Eminem. Most of these were young teens 13-15 years of age. I was shocked that parents were letting their children attend this concert. Times have changed. I guess to answer your question I would have to say Frank Sinatras "Strangers In The Night"

Laura
Old August 4th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Cynic
The #1 Sign You Know You're Getting OLD When: our favourite artists from your youth start showing up performing during your cruise.....
With all due respect, this happens when you recognize your favorite songs in the elevator!

I grew up in the 60's and my parents thought our music was awful, and I think this will go on forever ! We'll always think "our" music was the best.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old August 5th, 2006, 02:58 AM
Admiral

Fern> I think it's 8 ounces of one or half a pound of another.....

Old August 5th, 2006, 03:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Going back to the ORIGINAL post... what would it have meant if the person played the Eleanor Rigby song, by the Beatles....

Horizon - July '03
Old August 5th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Admiral

I'll venture a guess ...the person was stood up at the alter and died a lonely widow and nobody came to her funeral...boy those were some depressing lyrics and it's hard to believe that was a big hit song in it's time....since I am a big Motown fan, I would have played the record by the Brooklyn Bridge" Best Thing That Ever Happen " (girl, I heard you're getting married, this time you're really sure..with the chorus "I'm never ever going to get married"