Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cruise Giveaway-Is this true (Update)

I'am one of those who always think that you never get something for nothing. I constantly get advertisements in the mail for 2-night stay at X location, if you just come sit through our resort presentation. Well the other night I got one that said they would give me a 7-night, Carnival cruise, with a choice of four different cruises to choose from. I told my DH I could sit through a 90-minute presentation if it meant a free cruise. I'am sure we would have to pay tax and port fee but oh well. What do you think?

So we went to the resort presentation, I was not that impress with the resort (Napa Valley California), but I must say our host were very gracious. I told them that it was just not a good time for us because we had just purchased a home. They just said okay, go upstairs and collect your prize...again I was very skeptical, another young lady ask us again to reconsider and came down more on the price, again I politely told them no and they handed me a form to send it for my 7-day cruise of my choice on either the Pride, Triumph, Destiny or Elation. Now here's the catch. You have to pay for port fees and taxes, $299.00 per person. I also received $500.00 in airfare vouchers. Not bad..... I haven't decided if I'am going to take them up on this, but I did book the Carnival Liberty on my own, for March 17th. I thought it was a little funny though, most of the participants were getting wine train tours and we were getting a free cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2006, 03:16 PM
BEACH DOUG

Where do I sign up? 8)
Old August 4th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Yeoman

I think it would be worth exactly what you'd be paying for it.
Old August 4th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Admiral

It's probably 6 days, and 7 nights. The six days are Jan 3,4,8,16th,21st, and 30th. The seven nights are Feb 4th, 9th, 12th, 13th, March 3rd 6th, and July 23rd.
Ken
Old August 4th, 2006, 03:52 PM
BEACH DOUG

A friend did one of these once for a trip to Vegas. It was mid-week, and until a couple days before, all they got were flight dates, no times, but they put them up on LVB. Once they finally got out of the presentation after saying no 100 times (the sales staff are PERSISTENT), it was smooth sailing getting everything organized. So it CAN be done. A cruise is more expensive than a few days in Vegas though, so there might be even more pressure to buy whatever they're selling.
Old August 4th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Admiral

if it sounds too good to be true..it usually isn't..read the small print .there is always a catch
Old August 4th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

I will let you know what happens, I signed up for August 19th. I'am very good at saying "no". When I was younger, I use to do these alot for hotel stays, radios, etc. My girlfriend daughter does them all the time, this is just the first time I've seen a "cruise" offered. It must be in conjunction with Carnival somehow because the post card has Carnival logo and a picture of someone laying out at the beach. I'am sure they would'nt get away with using their logo without permission. Maybe it has something to do with their vacation club?
Old August 4th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Yeoman

Maybe they use a Carnival logo, but the ship is one of the smaller lines [like the Imperial Majesty out of Fort Lauderdale].
I think they advertise $129 pp for 2 or 3 day trips.

I agree with Venice ... if it sounds too good to be true ...

Read the small print.
Old August 4th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Admiral

the sales staff is under pressure to close the deal, so they will not waste their time with a prospect that doesn't look like a winner, so just tell them you have declared bankruptcy twice and have several attachments to your salary for the next 8 years and if they would just give you the voucher for the cruise you will be very happy and they can move on to a better prospect (VBG)
Old August 4th, 2006, 04:23 PM
BEACH DOUG

If it works out, will you let us know who the company is? Share the wealth so to speak?
Old August 4th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Yeoman

And make sure to include the "cost" to you of taxes, port charges, acceptance fees, redemption fees, fee fees, etc. etc.

I just don't see timeshare places giving out cruises, or everyone would be banging on their doors!
Old August 4th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

Having just gotten back from Vegas on Tuesday night, I can tell you that Vegas is wwwwaaayyy more expensive than a cruise. My hotel bill alone was $368 for two nights at the Monte Carlo, and then $69 for next two nights (employee rate at the Grand Desert). Food for four days ran about $40 a day, taxis are another $60, tips were probably around $50. A grand total of $707 for 4 nights (would have been $966 if I had stayed at Monte Carlo). That doesn't include the money lost gambling which totaled about what I would lose on a 7 day cruise. My cruise coming up in Sept (tips included and with single supplement) was only $610 for seven nights. Vegas doubles what I payed for my Dec cruise.

Jodi
Old August 4th, 2006, 06:49 PM
BEACH DOUG

In my experience in Vegas -- 50+ times since 1998 -- it is cheaper than a cruise if done right.
Old August 4th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Yeoman

Default Giveaway

We were in Vegas for 4 nights over Memorial Day. Stayed at Flamingo for $60 a night because I checked every day (original price: $100 a night). Ate at buffets for four nights which was very little with coupons. Won $76 on a slot and that was the splurge for the Bellagio buffet. I lost about $400 at blackjack ultimately, but that's what you're supposed to do! Anyone going: go to Ellis Island for the $4.95 steak dinner. Thought it was a joke; no joke, absolutely one of the best steaks any of us ever had. Happy travels everyone.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old August 31st, 2006, 03:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think I'am going to go for it, what the heck, you can never have too many cruises, even though I have gone to all of these ports before.
Old August 31st, 2006, 03:31 PM
BEACH DOUG

I would! Can't beat a $300 cruise.
Old September 1st, 2006, 11:27 AM
Admiral

Default sooo Party Animal give us the details....

did you go?
Old September 1st, 2006, 02:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, I added it to my original post.
Old September 1st, 2006, 11:35 PM
Admiral

Keep us updated on any suspicious "extra charges"..... and if not, woo hoo! for you!

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008