Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 5th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Admiral

Default Greatest Music Concert Ever Attended

Since most cruisemates like music I am curious, what and where was the greatest concert you ever attended ? (Attention: Rollerdonna (smile)..we already know your answer!!..you only have to answer the where part (VBG)...In thinking about this, I can not choose just one because I have so many favorites for many different reasons

Woodstock 1969 - what a great way to end my summer before starting college..My favorites were Sly and the Family Stone, Santana and Joe Cocker (we left early Sunday a.m. before Jimi Hendrix came on)..I know what the "summer of love" (or lust) really meant (VBG)

Willie Nelson at Saratoga Performing Arts 1968 - first time I ever attended a country music concert and I was blown away by Willie..still am

Sammy Davis Jr at Saratoga 1968 -most multi talented and gifted performer of all time (IMHO)

Stevie Wonder opening for the Rolling Stones in Madision Square Garden (early 70's) - The Stones were hotter then the Beatles at that time and Stevie Wonder was not yet the crossover star that he became..Stevie was so great that the crowd would not let him off the stage and Mick got so upset, he came on stage and tried to take over the show

Heather Hedley, Smokey Robinson,Anita Baker, Stevie Wonder Essence Festival 2004 - All in one night on one stage..the place was rocking and the Mayor (Nagin) who was in attendance lifted the 2 am curfew so Stevie could play another 90 minutes of his hits

i'm sure fellow posters can share their favorite concerts and why ?
Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Admiral

Default Greatest Music Concert Ever Attended

I haven't been to a concert in many years. But I do recall Frank Sinatra at the Hollywood Bowl. I would love to see Barbra Streisand in concert in November.

Judy
Old August 5th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Bruce Springsteen: Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis in 1975. Just before the Born To Run release. It was a wonderful "In the round" and intimate venue and to this day he is still my favorite artist.

Paul McCartney and Wings in 1976. Just a good show.

Elvis in April of 1977. It wasn't a good show but it was Elvis and it was the only time I ever saw him live. In some ways I wish I hadn't.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 5th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I dated a music promoters son while in college, so I had the opportunity to see many concerts, and even attend parties with a few music stars. I think my favorite was 3 Dog Night, Atlanta stadium with Rod Stewart as lead on group.

Mike, I agree with you about Elvis. I saw him for the first and only time, in Atlanta in 77 and I was so disappointed. He had no business on that stage that night. He was unable to remember the basic songs he had preformed for years. People actually walked out of the concert. He was terrible, and was so high, he got down on stage, and couldn't get back up.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 5th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Admiral

Well Venice, you guessed it - it has to be a Bee Gee concert! I don't remember the exact year, but it was the era of skin tight white pants, and shirts open down- to- here!
My best friend a fellow Bee Gee maniac and I had seats in the nosebleed section, but somehow, during intermission, we managed to sneak down and find a standing spot right in front of the stage! When the boys came back on, we were both like We stared up at them for the rest of the show, mesmerized, and most probably with our tongues hanging out! We both swear to this day that Barry and Robin both looked at me/her, and this friendly arguement has gone on for some 30 years!!

I also have very fond memories of the 1st Chris de Burgh concert the same friend and I saw. It was a small venue, very intimate, only acoustic guitar and piano, and it was like having him singing to you in your living room. It was magic. I just saw him last Nov. for the dozenth time and he's still magical!

donna
Old August 5th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

My favorite concert was in 1990??
It was outdoors at the city park on the waterfront. It was a fun raiser put on by a radio station, coupled with a large barbeque cook off. You got to vote on the best B.B.Q.( cooks came from all over the country).
Wow! the wonderful aroma of smokey bbq, great rock & roll bands all weekend from 10 am to 9pm
some of the headliners were, Blood Sweat & Tears, Doobie Brothers, Steppenwolf, Little River,Foreigner 3 dog night and others.

My second choice would be any of the Jimmy Buffett concerts I have gone to over many years. He can really put on a good show and have you dancing in the aisles.
Carole 8)
Old August 5th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The Woodstock of the Rockies, the Denver Pop Festival in 1969. They say it was the last gig Jimi Hendix ever did eith the "Experience" and at Woodstock he played with his new band with Buddy Miles. Led Zeppelin, Frank Zappa, Johnny Winter, The Flock, Big Mama Thornton, Three Dog Night. Creedence Clearwater, Zephyr, Iron Butterfly...

I saw Steely Dan last week, that was good. The Who give a great concert. Have seen the Stones three times including 1966, saw Cream, Chicago & David Bowie when they were up & coming and had not heard of them.

Saw the Doors a few times, and YES play at the Whisky a Go Go (small audience). Procul Harum was good.
Old August 5th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

Most of my concerts were attended in the 80's: Madonna, Foreigner, Slaughter, Cinderella, Poison, Bon Jovi, Eddie Money, John Cougar Mellancamp, etc.

However my favorite concert is one I have attended every year since 2003 and that is the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. They are amazing! The music is moving and the show is amazing.

I know that is odd, but I don't miss it for anything.

Jodi
Old August 5th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Trans Siberian Orchesta !!! - I went to their website to check them out and listen to their music and I like them..Reminds me of Mannheim Steamroller..they have not published their 2006 tour yet but I see they came to Birmingham AL last year,so if they are close I will check them out
Old August 5th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

They usually publish tour dates towards end of Aug. and they generally visit the same locations. There should be one close to you if not in NOLA. Get on their mailing list and you will get an email about presales for the concerts.

My favorite song they do is the "Christmas Cannon" - you can find it under Mulitmedia on their website. A couple of years ago they had a wonderful children's choir sing the lyrics, but they have removed that one from the website and it is adults now. Still my favorite regardless of who sings.

Jodi
Old August 5th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Captain

Default Best Concert Ever

Judy Garland, at the Hollywood Bowl in the 60's. No one like her since.
Old August 5th, 2006, 08:21 PM
First Mate

I've only been to one... MC Hammer! maybe thats why I never went to another?? ....Pretty embarassing actually
Old August 5th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Admiral

All this reminescing has taken me back a REAL long ways. Of course I remember Santana, Doobie Brothers, Chicago, etc. from the 70's. But what I remembered is in (I think) the late 50's when the Grand Ole Opry came to the Sam Houston Coliseum in Houston. All of the greats were there, Dolly Partin, Porter Waggoner, Minnie Pearl, Grampa Jones, Little Jimmy Dickens... all the stars, at that time. The admission was two of the little plastic tabs from the top of the Ray-O-Vac batteries. I was 6 or 7 at the time. Only after I was older did I really realize what I had seen. My whole family attended and it was a 10 or 12 hour concert!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old August 5th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
Bruce Springsteen: Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis in 1975. Just before the Born To Run release. It was a wonderful "In the round" and intimate venue and to this day he is still my favorite artist.

Paul McCartney and Wings in 1976. Just a good show.

Elvis in April of 1977. It wasn't a good show but it was Elvis and it was the only time I ever saw him live. In some ways I wish I hadn't.

Take care,
Mike
Mike,
You know it!!! All of the Bruce Springsteen concerts I've been to have been my favorites but the most favorite shows would have to be the ones I saw in NJ, Princeton and Trenton. Such a great connection with the crowd!
Venice I'm jealous of your list.
Angela Z.
Old August 6th, 2006, 04:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

At the concert venue where I worked I saw the Beach Boys. Of all the concerts I saw there in the two years I worked there that was the best. A radio station even trucked in some sand and made a "beach" down near the stage. The winners of a contest they had on the radio won tickets to watch the Beach Boys from the beach, complete with a bbq. It was a great day and everyone had fun.

Laura
Old August 6th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Admiral

I need to list more than one:

Mariza (Portugese Fado Music)
Lila Downs (Music of Mexico)
Iris Dement (Folk)
Dolly Parton (Country)
Wanda Jackson (Rockabilly)

However the best concert event we have attended is the "Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival" which is held yearly in early October. These concerts are totally free and are held on five separate stages in Golden Gate Park, SFO. The shows last all day for two days. Last year there were about 60 bands including Dolly Parton, Emmylou Harris, Rodney Crowell, Rosanne Cash, Joan Baez, Steve Earl, Gillian Welch, Ricky Skaggs, Guy Clark, Dave Alvin, etc. This is an amazing weekend and is totally free. David and I both agree that last year's event was the best weekend we have ever spent in our lives.

We already have reservations for our B&B and plane tickets for this coming October. Half of the acts have already been announced and it promises to be another banner year.

We can't wait!
Old August 6th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Went to a Kenny Chesney Concert... the openers were A girll... and Keith Urban... Keith Urban was soo energetic and completely AWESOME that Kenny Chesney looked like a rag doll by comparison.... he was boring and insipid... and slightly off key... but thats why they have multimillion dollar sound equipment in the recording studios to fix his pitch...
Horizon - July '03
Rhapsody of the Seas - Thanksgiving '03
Golden Princess - June '04
Carnival Ecstasy - May '05
Explorer of the Seas - July '05
Infinity - Doomed Voyage - July '06
Old August 6th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

I think my very first concert I ever went to as a (then) teen was John Denver in Lake Tahoe. My younger sister despirately wanted to go and I remember getting up in the middle of the night the day tickets went on sale and spent hours on the phone to get reservations. The concert was far out (as he'd put it) back then I also saw a very cool Carpenter's concert.
More recently--still years ago, I think one of the best concerts I've been to was an Oakridge Boys and Marie Osmond Christmas Concert at Utah State University. That was Awsome!
Unfortunately I don't get out to concerts that much--just can't justify the expense--there have been several I'd liked to see though.
Old August 6th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

The Three Tenors: Pavarotti, Domingo and Carreras, at the Baths of Caracalla in Rome.

Isaac Stern at Royal Albert Hall in London.

The rest pale by comparison, except maybe for the original Dave Brubeck Quartet (Brubeck, Gene Wright, Paul Morello and Paul Desmond) in Detroit in the late 60's.
Old August 7th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgique
The Three Tenors: Pavarotti, Domingo and Carreras, at the Baths of Caracalla in Rome.

I am SOOOOOO JEALOUS... :evil:
Horizon - July '03
Rhapsody of the Seas - Thanksgiving '03
Golden Princess - June '04
Carnival Ecstasy - May '05
Explorer of the Seas - July '05
Infinity - Doomed Voyage - July '06
Old August 7th, 2006, 08:47 AM
First Mate

We were permanent fixtures whenever Harry Chapin played Chicago..

Absolutely awesome memories of seeing Phil Collins and Elton John at outdoor concerts at the best outdoor venue we've ever attended, Poplar Creek (now closed).

And, of course, Jimmy Buffett!!!!
Old August 7th, 2006, 11:55 AM
BEACH DOUG

There was an Ozzfest day once that had Godsmack, Rob Zombie, and Black Sabbath. Or We Fest 95. Favorite indoor concert was Motley Crue in 99.
Old August 7th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Admiral

I live about a half a mile to an awesome amphitheatre saw aerosmith there 2 yrs ago and going again this fall. There are tons of great bands that come ther and have seen some good concerts, tom petty, chicago, rush, ozzfest amoung others.. going this thursday to the raggae splashfest seeing third world, maxi priest, ub40 can't wait!
Old August 8th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Yeoman

Jimmy Buffett, of course!

Of all the Buffett concerts I've been to, the very best was at The Breakers in Palm Beach. It was a fund-raiser for the private school his children attended. Tickets were $1,000 each and limited to 250. They included a lavish buffet dinner in The Breakers and an open bar.

My husband surprised me with a pair of tickets. We had a wonderful time and stood in the sand right in front of the stage for the whole show.
Afterward, I was looking around for Jimmy, hoping to have an opportunity to meet him.
I was scanning the area when I heard my husband talking. I turned around and he was talking to Jimmy!
Wow!
We had a nice conversation with him, had him sign his latest CD that we'd brought along, plus a scrapbook I had from other concerts ...

What a magical night!

Other great concerts: The Who [minus Keith Moon] in Cleveland and in West Palm; Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers in Cleveland; Rush in West Palm; Aerosmith in Cleveland.
And The Doors, Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin concerts when I lived in Boston.
Old August 8th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Admiral

My excuse is that it was back in my wild youth!

But here you are:

KISS, live in concert at the Memorial Coliseum in Portland Oregon, August of '77. I think I'm still a little deaf from that one!

It wasn't just that the music was so loud -- it was the pyrotechnics. They exploded so much ordnance, that they were banned from the Coliseum and never performed there again.

Dean
Old August 8th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Admiral

My favorite concert was my most recent - Depeche Mode in Tampa last fall. Their new album is awesome.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old August 8th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

I can't believe anyone can remember Woodstock! Not that it was soooooo long ago - I thought everyone fried their brains out with DOPE. Just Jokin'. Here is my top 5 shows in the past 15 years.

#5 - WIDESPREAD PANIC (House of Blues - Orlando)
#4 - ITZAK PEARLMAN (Interlochen Center for the Arts)
#3- U2 (Tampa Stadium)
#2- U2 (Tampa/St. Pete Forum)
#1- RAY CHARLES ** 2nd Row (Interlochen Center for the Arts) 8)

I love all kinds of music! Some other acts I saw: Metallica, Phil Collins, Erasure, and The Commodoors put on great shows - but they didn't make my top 5.

I hope everyone has fun remembering their favorite concert

Have A Great Day!
Old August 8th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Otown...you sound like my son when you say Woodstock was so long ago (VBG)...Being a good catholic alter boy, my mind seems not to remember if there were any drugs around, there was alot of smoke in the air but I thought it was incense like we burned in the church during mass (VBG)..however, what I do remember is how dirty it was, how really nice everyone was to each other and how many beautiful women with no clothes on that didn't mind 3-18 year old boys looking at them and how everyone was just into the music..remember Santana and Sly &The Family Stone & Joe Cocker were not household names when they played Woodstock...Santana rocked the house and now I know what Sly meant when he said "I want to take you higher !! (VBG)..also I remember seeing alot of mess up Vietnam Veterans who had been injured in the war

A little side history for you..G. Gordon Liddy of Watergate fame was working as an assistant D.A. in Dutchess County (where I lived and the next county over from where Woodstock was held) and in 1966 he tried but was unsuccesful in prosecuting Timothy Leary by raiding the mansion where Leary was staying( 1 mile from my home)..In 1969 he was working in the Nixon administration (he handled Nixon's presidential campaign in upstate New York) and tried to have the governor of New York put up a road block around Woodstock because he said there were drugs and bad elements there. When that was announced on the radio WNBC in New York, instead of discouraging people, it had the opposite effect..thus high government officials were in part responsible for the great success of Woodstock.

1967-1969 were great years to be a teenager and love music. I understand they tried to do a Woodstock II or III a few years back with corporate sponsorship and it was not successful
Old August 8th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Venice-
I could be your son (1968).
I was a Catholic Alter boy also. Let's see if I can hurt you ----- What do you think of when I say "wooden ruler". (My knuckles are starting to hurt !)

I really like your stories. I wish I could have been at Woodstock. Corporate America tried to make it happen again and it failed! I guess the drugs today don't promote peace, love, & happiness.

Great music stands the test of time! Why don't we all pull out our favorite album (78/33/45), reel to reel, 8 track, cassette, CD, DVD... and relax to something that takes us back to a different time and place.

We are "EVERYDAY PEOPLE". I know a "BLACK MAGIC WOMAN", and "SHE CAME IN THROUGH THE BATHROOM WINDOW""ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER"! (Sly/Santana/Cocker/Hendrix) 8)

Peace
Old August 8th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Admiral

Otown..well the statue of limitations has run out on paying child support so I guess it's safe to acknowledge you now (VBG)

I still have the scars on my knukles from those d*&% rulers on my left hand (true story)..one day I'll have to share the story on how I was thrown out of catholic school in the 8th grade for reading Playboy in the bathroom (smile)

This is scary, I still have my reel to reel and 8 track and about 6 old cassette players and over 700 albums and 45's from that era...my son tells me that when I die and he inherits my junk he will sell them on e-bay, make a fortune and put my grandson thru college..And it's real funny because the 17 inch Rutherford color tv that I bought the summer of 1969 right after Woodstock to take to college, finally blew the tube out this past week...they just don't make stuff like they use to

When I watch PBS during their pledge drives the highest pledging segments are when they do the 50's-60's-70's shows and you see these old folks singing the songs..I'm a sucker for that and usually pledge $250 so I can get the DVD/CD package..My first response is God, those musicians are old !!! my girlfriend snaps back that I am old !!! (she is in her 30's and loves the music from that era)..For my 50th birthday my son treated me to a trip to Cleveland to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the induction of the artist that year..