Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 8th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Admiral

Default If You Are Crusing on August 29th

There is a tradition in New Orleans, that lots of people leave town every year during Mardi Gras to avoid the crowds (in New Orleans, most schools are closed for that week)

With the 1 year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina coming up August 29th, I would wager that alot of folks will begin a new tradition both in New Orleans and the Gulf Coast (remember the majority of the damage in New Orleans was from the leevee's breaking, not the hurricane, where Mississippi and Alabama took the brunt of the hurricane) will elect to get out of town for that week to get away from that painful day

I suspect alot of us will be cruising (I wanted to but the job won't allow)..If you find out that they are from New Orleans or Mississippi, I encourage you to ask them their feelings for that day..I'm sure most folks won't mind and will in fact thank you for sending money, aid, prayers etc.

I think the only way Americans who have not visited the area will understand the impact is by directly talking with folks who lived thru it

Then buy them a drink ..treat them to a massage..after the stress they have been under they deserve it !!
Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Admiral

Venice,

I've long been a fan of Jimmy Buffet's music -- and indeed the entire Margaritaville mileu. I've read his books as well, in which he spends a great deal of time talking about how important N.O. was to his music career, and what it meant to him to grow up there (literally and figuratively.

So, as you're in N.O., and you have an unique perspective on this, I've got a question for you:

Why hasn't Jimmy Buffet held a benefit concert for N.O. or some other grand gesture to show his appreciation for all that N.O. has given him over the years? I've been very disappointed to see him so absent from the city that could really benefit from his presence.

Dean
Old August 8th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Admiral

Mean Dean..I love Buffett also...He has done many, many public gestures to help New Orleans...the biggest was he came to play at Jazz Fest this year and only charged a small portion of his regular fee then donated that to the relief effort...He has also played for a fund raiser at Tipitana's...knowing Buffett he has sent money to help with various non profits and ask that it not be made public as so many other big time musicians have and I also think he came one day to help build a house with Habitat for Humanity in the Musicians village

I think you'll find that many famous people have helped directly and did not want the press attention (as the way it should be and says in the Bible)

Alot of major artist have had local New Orleans musicians open for them on the road, to give them work and also to keep the plight of New Orleans in the public eye..The biggest name that comes to mind is Elvis Costello
and Alan Touissant who just released a CD together...Believe it or not musicians from Japan have sent over 1,000 band instruments and provided funds for scholarships for new orleans high school bands and musicians

I'm always leary of big name people who have done something and wanted the publicity.. buffett ( among others)does good without the public glare
Old August 8th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Venice,

Thank you for the update!

Not having heard of a big blow-out benefit concert on the nightly news, I had assumed that he hadn't done one. I'm very glad to have been misinformed.

Speaking of Buffet, I recently watched the Tom Cruise/Gene Hackman movie "The Firm". While they are at the outdoor lounge at the resort on Grand Cayman one evening, they (and we viewers as well) get treated to two Buffet songs: "Stars on the Water" and "Blame it on the Rum".

Ahhhh.......... A perfect song about a perfect drink in a perfect setting!

Dean
Old August 8th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Admiral

And a great movie..I have a crush on Jeanne Tripplehorn and think Holly Hunter is sexy
Old August 9th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Admiral

Venice,

You got it! Jeanne is a hot momma!

And you know, she is about my age. It's interesting to think about the possibilities. She's currently married to a TV actor; but what if she and I had attended the same high school? What if her common interests were the same as mine?

People tend to marry people in the same socio-economic class as themselves. She's an actress, so she marries an actor. But what if I (or yourself, perhaps) had met her first? In high school, our socio-economic situations would have been about the same -- now our socio-economic situations are quite different. Does that now make us different persons? Did her fame and wealth make her into a different person than she was before?

Whatever the case, she's very nice to look at. May have to get "The Firm" again............

Dean
Old August 9th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Admiral

Mean Dean...I think actors marry actors because they understand the business and pressures and it's accessible for them but most high profile marriages out there don't seem to work out..so hold on there could be hope for us yet with Jeanne ! (VBG)

But I often wonder what those really beautiful actresses are really like..I wonder why Halle Berry has a terrible track record..It can't all be on the guys

Did you know Jeanne was in Basic Instinct ? I remember her more in that movie than Sharon Stone !!! I'll have to drop Jeanne an e-mail and invite her to be the grand marshal for next year's Mardi Gras parade and then invite you down to New Orleans to meet her (VBG)
Old August 9th, 2006, 02:27 AM
Admiral

Venice,

I've actually been to N.O. I have friends there (actually Abita Springs) that I met on our Panama Canal cruise in '99. Prior to our Caribbean cruise in 2001, we visited them for 3 days.

I drank beer on Bourbon Street, ate beignets at Cafe Dumond, and enjoyed a mint julep at the Oak Valley Plantation. (I guess drinking and eating go well together when taking in the sights!)

And you're right about Basic Instinct! I too thought Jeanne was the hotter of the leading ladies. As a side note, I heard B.I. 2 sucked. Probably because Jeanne wasn't in it!

If you have cable, you can see a show on HBO called "Big House", in which Jeanne plays one of the wives of Bill Paxton -- lucky some beach!!

And he has love scenes with her -- and gets paid to do it! I'd do it on a volunteer basis..............

Dean
Old August 9th, 2006, 04:05 AM
Admiral

yea I know , I have seen all the Big House shows..I think his middle wife is really hot also but Jeanne is the best !! well I think we better turn this thread back over to the other folks.take care my friend and let me know when you are coming back to my city and we can hook up