Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 9th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Admiral

Default Ship's registry

When we were on one of our cruises I noticed that the registry, Oslo Norway was written on the stern of the ship with tape. I questioned the captain about this and he mentioned that at the end the week the tape would come off and the place of registry would become Nassau, Bahamas. The outline of the new lettering was apparent when looking closely. Does anyone know why a company would change the place of registry for an established ship (Rhapsody)?
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2006, 11:51 PM
Admiral

Commercial vessels in international trade must be registered in some country, but the country need not be the one from which they operate. It's all about saving money.

Some countries (e.g., Liberia, Panama, Bahamas) give tax breaks and other incentives to shipping companies that register their vessels in these countries. The vessels must then fly the flag of the country of registry, and show on the stern a home port in that country (e.g., Monrovia, Nassau, Panama City).

In the case you mentioned, it is apparent that the ship's owner was avoiding Norwegian taxes and other monetary obligations by registering the vessel in the friendly Bahamas.
It's all perfectly legal, and a common practice worldwide.

Jack
Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old August 10th, 2006, 12:38 AM
Administrator
Admiral

It is known as a "Flag of Convenience" and as Jack said it is done in order to obtain tax, and other financial considerations.

You can obtain a flag of convenience from any country even if it doesn't have a coastline.

Many cruise ships flew a flag of convenience of Liberia but that has changed in the last few years because of the change in political climate. There are still thousands of cargo and fishing vessels that still fly a Liberian flag of convenience. BTW: The company that issues Liberian flags is located in Virginia.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 10th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Admiral

Thanks! That answers one of my " I wonder...." questions. Virginia, huh? I guess you just have to follow the money
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old August 10th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I believe RCI is in the process of registering all of their ships out of Nassau.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 10th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Admiral

I guess we can expect RCI to pass all those savings on to us devoted passengers

Thanks
Mariner of the Seas

Old August 10th, 2006, 03:44 PM
BEACH DOUG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2gonow
I guess we can expect RCI to pass all those savings on to us devoted passengers

Thanks
Old August 10th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

As for Panama, ships registered in Panama save a bundle of money in transit fees for the Panama canal.
Old August 10th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Admiral

Mike,

It is known as a "Flag of Convenience" and as Jack said it is done in order to obtain tax, and other financial considerations.

You can obtain a flag of convenience from any country even if it doesn't have a coastline.

Historically, the term "flag of convenience" usually referred to countries that had very lax safety standards and minimal licensing requirements. Liberia and Panama were in this category. The maritime treaties at the time allowed only the country of registry to enforce safety standards. Unfortunately, countries that became "flags of convenience" typically either set no safety standards at all or insepcted vessels only if they actually called in the country's ports -- which many vessels never did. Thus, the term "flag of convenience" carried the implication that a the country of registry allowed a vessel to evade safety inspectoins.

The ratification of the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) treaty changed the landscape substantially. The SOLAS treaty really changed the proverbial landscape by (1) establishing fairly rigorous safety standards for ALL ships and (2) giving each country the right to inspect every vessel that calls at its ports, regardless of registry. Thus, the U. S. Coast Guard now inspects every vessel that calls in the United States at least annually, and several other cuontries also conduct routine inspections of vessels calling at their ports. As a result, one does not hear the term "flag of convenience" very often in the modern maritime world.

BTW, the U. S. Coast Gaurd's inpections are very thorough. They even conduct drills so the inspectors can observe the crew's response to simulated casualty situations.

Norm.